Trafalgar Tours

Epinions Product Rating: OK

Trafalgar- The Quality of the British!

Jul 30, 2001

• How strenuous was your tour?
  • Transportation quality:
  • Knowledge of tour guide(s):
  • How informative was your tour?

Pros:A well-established company that gives great service and knows Europe

Cons:did not handle initial London airport transfer

The Bottom Line: Trafalgar exceeded our expectations! They are great!

I have traveled with several tour companies to various parts of the world, but I have to say Trafalgar is one of the best with which I have worked.

My wife and I took a European "whirlwind" tour through several countries in less than 2 weeks and Trafalgar handled the arrangements.

Initial planning began with an exploratory trip to an old fashioned travel agent - remember those, before the internet? After looking at several brochures and talking with their European travel specialist, we decided on Trafalgar for value, itinerary, and reputation.

The agent handled our arrangements (nice not to surf for hours!)Within days we had our tour documents and a nice little Trafalgar shoulder bag and luggage tags.

Soon we were off to Gatwick - flying on the Charlotte-London US Airways flight. Good service, enjoyable flight.

The only draw-back was that Trafalgar did not handle our initial airport transfer to our hotel. I thought that was strange. But, the agent had told us where to go to get a hotel van so it was no problem.

Trafalgar had booked us at the Onslow Hotel in Kensington the first 2 nights. It was a lovely property in the residential area of Kensington- very close to the tube and many shops and restaurants. It was a boutique type hotel with large rooms, wonderful baths with aromatic amenities, and a wonderful tea set in the room with several types of teas. The breakfast buffet at the Onslow was one of the best I've ever had- consisting of both European and America dishes, hot and cold. (I think the Onlsow has changed hands now and goes by a different name- but I am not sure what).

After 2 days "on our own", we joined up with the Trafalgar bus tour that would whisk us around Europe. Our guide was a most personable young lady who spoke 4 languages. We crossed the channel into Belgium and headed to Holland. It was a real benefit to have one guide throughout the tour who could speak the languages of each country. She got to know us and made wonderful suggestions to make our tour memorable.

We had people from Australia, China, New Zealand, and USA on our bus. We quickly became great friends and still keep in contact with some on them!The Australians were quite the extroverts and we sang "Waltzing Matilda" a zillion times while traveling! In exchange for singing it with them, they gave out "lollies" (suckers to Americans).

The Trafalgar bus was quite comfortable- modern, clean, restroom equipped, and with a smooth ride!We rode it through England, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland, Austria, and France, and it was a delight!

They knew exactly how many stops to make to break up the trip, and even gave us a couple of free night tours of cities that were not on the itinerary!

The hotels selected by Trafalgar were exceptional. They were even higher rated than what was described in the brochure. Our tour was supposed to have first-class properties, but three of the hotels were deluxe! Golden Tulip in Amsterdam and Sofitel in Paris were marvelous places of pampering! The Trafalgar brochure did say if they had to substitute hotels, they would be of equal or HIGHER rating. We found them to be higher!

Overall, we found the trip to be care-free and wonderful. We were pampered and well-taken care of. I can recommend Trafalgar without resevation. They have a large and helpful office in London and branch offices all over the world. They epitomize British quality!

Best Suited For: Couples