1987 Donruss Barry Bonds Rookie Card - 87DBBONDS

Barry Bonds: Donruss Rookie Baseball Card

Mar 10, 2012

Pros:Barry Bonds, Pirates, Rookie, Back of Card

Cons:Barry Bonds, Front of card's design is horrible, No action shot

The Bottom Line: The Donruss Barry Bonds rookie card shows a young man, who would later be crowned baseball's home run king.*

Barry Bonds. Steroids. Home Run Champion. These should not be lumped together, but for me, there will always be suspicion about Barry Bonds and his performance on the field. While Hank Aaron, who I consider to be the all time home run hitter still, was gracious enough to accept his record being passed by Barry, I have to tip my cap to him. I was lucky enough to see Barry when he first came up, as my Dad is a Pirates fan, and along with Andy Van Slyke, and Bobby Bonilla in the outfield, that was a fearsome lineup. Barry was at that point very athletic but raw, and a lot smaller than he was when he retired.

His 1987 rookie card from Donruss is not my favorite card. Its by no means horrible, but I particularly like action shots on the front. Instead of that, you see Barry smiling, holding a bat in his hand. He looks so innocent, and happy, not the temperamental player who seemed to be in the middle of controversy later on in his career. The design for this series, looks like the combination of vomit and disco music. Seriously, the image is clear, but the side bars and name in the bright lettering looks horrible. Whomever at Donruss "green lighted" these, must not have been around for much longer, as future series were much improved upon.

On a plus side, the back is excellent. You can see Barry's height, weight, place of birth, and that he was a star athlete at Arizona State. Also mentioned, is that he is the son of former player Bobby Bonds. I like how the stats are easy to read, and while Barry didn't have a great rookie season with a .223 batting average, the potential with his other stats is visible even here. I appreciate the color orange with the black lettering and numbers, and also how it gives the card a crisp appearance. Unfortunately, the front ruins this card, and its no where as good as the Topps rookie card, that is more valuable.

PIRATES BARRY BONDS AUTHENTIC SIGNED CARD 1987 DONRUSS ROOKIE #361 PSA SLABBED

PIRATES BARRY BONDS AUTHENTIC SIGNED CARD 1987 DONRUSS ROOKIE #361 PSA SLABBED

This PIRATES BARRY BONDS AUTHENTIC SIGNED CARD 1987 DONRUSS ROOKIE #361 PSA SLABBED has been certified authentic. It comes slabbed and authenticated b...