Read Reviews (59) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

1998 Civic

View all reviews by valerie_elia

New Honda CVT transmission

by valerie_elia:      Dec 20, 1999

Product Rating: 3.0 Recommended: No

Pros: Gas Mileage
Cons: Tranmission Jerks

I leased a 1998 Honda Civic HX last June (1998). I had previously leased a Neon and had a bad experience so I wanted a vehicle that had a good reputation. I haven't had any breakdowns with my car but there is a feature that I don't care for. It's called a CVT transmission. It means Continually Variable Transmission (or something of that nature). Basically, when you accelerate, you don't feel the transmission go from gear to gear. It's smooth. The problem is that, it doesn't work as well when you are decelerating. Often the car jerks when you are slowing down. It jerks so badly that your head will move. It also races when idling such that you have to keep your foot on the brake really hard or else you will roll. Sometimes it even feels like it is going to stall because the RPM's go so low when I am idling at a light or something. I mentioned this to the service department of my Honda dealer (Route 23 North, Pompton Plains, NJ). They didn't find anything but suggested that I speak to someone who has the same car. I happened to have a cousin with the same exact car - same year and all. And she has the same 'problems'. I have also had intermittent problems with starting my car but it has only happened 3 or 4 times. It also happens to my cousin occasionally. What the service department was trying to get across to me was that it's the transmission that I am not used to and not that there is any problem. I think it is a problem when my car jerks and almost stalls. This CVT transmission is only available in the Civic HX. They are considering putting it in all of their cars (I have even seen rave reviews about this new transmission). My husband has used my car and keeps telling me to get it checked out. I keep reminding him that I already have and I was told that this is just how the CVT transmission works.

I guess I can't complain I've had the car for 1 1/2 years and haven't had any breakdowns or anything and it gets good gas mileage. But I am happy that I leased it because I don't want to buy this car........I just don't trust this transmission.

Recommended: No