1998 Honda ST1100 - Review
Dec 27, 2003
Review by rprisco
Rated a Very Helpful Review
I own a 1998 Honda ST1100 which now has 56k miles. This is my daily commuter vehicle and round trip to work for me is 60 miles.
Recommend this product?
People who own ST1100's are a very loyal and proud group. There are many reasons for this...
- Quiet, efficient, medium power, low maintenance 1100cc V4 motor. Valve adjustments are recommended at every 16k miles.
- Huge 7.4 gallon fuel cell. I get 340 miles per tank full and usually gas up at 300-320 miles. This is the most for any motorcycle.
- Great wind protection. Both head and body are well protected from the wind which for me is a huge plus since I drive in 100+ degree weather in Arizona.
- Excellent storage from the 2 hard saddle bags which are big enough to hold a full-face helmet. I've added a Givi Top box for added storage. Givi makes top notch hard bags.
- Very low maintenance. I change the oil every 3-4k miles and use synthetic oil. Hydraulic clutch, shaft drive, ease of oil filter location all make for easy maintenance.
- Decent power from the V4. Not outstanding power, just decent for most. Power comes on like a freight train.
- Good gas mileage. Most people get 40+ miles per gallon regardless of where they live.
- Comfortable riding position. I've added a set of Heli-Bars to make the riding position even more comfortable. I also added a Corbin seat which is expensive but well worth the cost.
- Handles well in straights and curves. For such a large, heavy bike, the ST1100 does handle well and straight highway riding is very comfortable.
Although this is an excellent motorcycle (trade rags say "one of the best ever built"), there are some ares for improvement and it looks like the new ST1300 has addressed some of them...
- This is a very heavy motorcycle, especially when you're just sitting on it not going anywhere. The ST1100 is over 700 lbs with fuel! I would like to see this bike trimmed down to 500lbs.
- The seat height is rather high, especially for the vertically challenged (like me!).
- The Honda V4 motor is adequate at best. I would like to see Honda use the CBR 1100XX motor in a ST like bike.
- If you're not on top of your tire pressure, you will square off your tires in no time. The trick is to keep maximum pressure in the tires at all times so they don't square off so quickly. I'm sure the weight has something to do with that.
Other than that, there's not much to gripe about! This is my 8th motorcycle I've owned and the first sports tourer. Now that I've owned the bike for so long and logged 56k miles, I can see why ST owners are so loyal. I cannot find a good reason to sell it and upgrade to a newer model sport tourer.
The bike that has tempted me the most is Yamaha's new FJR1300 (not enough for me to sell my ST). The FJR1300 has more power, lighter weight and an adjustable wind screen. All very nice features, especially the extra power.
The telling point of the ST is that although I could afford to upgrade my motorcycle, I like it so much that I choose not to. That says a lot about the bike.
Amount Paid (US$): 11700.
Model Year: 1998
Share this product review with your friends
Honda ST 1100, 1991-2001, Clutch Kit, NEW - ST1100/1100A New Clutch Friction Plate Kit for Honda ST 1100 and 1100A Fits 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, ...
Newly Manufactured Seat Cover Fits Honda ST1100 / ST1100A Models 1991-1998 ST1100 / ST1100A / ABS-TCS / ABS II Please specify your color preference wh...
CARB FUEL TUBES NEED MORE KITS OR OTHER PARTS? CLICK HERE!! Product Description NEW HONDA ST1100 ST1100A CARB FUEL CROSS OVER TUBES (high quality bras...
Honda ST1100 1990 - 2002 This new Clymer Repair Manual is for the Honda ST1100/Pan European spanning 1990-2002. It covers the Pan European (1990-2002)...
Honda ST1100/A 91-02 Street Brake Lever-Silver Description: Direct replacement lever. Sold exactly as shown. Please view the front and rear photos pro...
Honda ST 1100, 1991-2003, Halogen Headlight Bulb - ST1100 NEW Halogen Headlight Bulb for Honda ST 1100 Fits 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995,1996, 1997, 1...
CLYMER Honda ST1100 1990-2002 Manual St1100 1990-2002 By Clymer 1-800-983-2210 Product Description Payments Shipping International Shipping Return Pol...
Top-quality custom bars for your rideFlanders has more than 50 years of experience making the world's finest handlebarsAll handlebars are made of seam...
HONDA 3 BLACK Oil Filters pack 1994 Honda CB1000 1995 Honda CB1000 1989 Honda CB400F CB-1 1990 Honda CB400F CB-1 1991 Honda CB750 Nighthawk 1992 Honda...
CLYMER Honda ST1100 1990-2002 Manual St1100 1990-2002 By Clymer1-800-983-2210 Product Description Payments Shipping International Shipping Return Poli...