JC Whitney 1/2" Drive Dual Scale Torque Wrench (101012007926)

Micrometer Adjustable Torque Wrench 1/2 inch drive A Very Good Precision Tool to Have!

Dec 30, 2007 (Updated Dec 31, 2007)

Pros:Use once and you have mastered it. Easy! Very durable build quality.

Cons:Measurements can be difficult to read. No online manual or manufacturer website.

The Bottom Line: Price seems ridiculously low considering build quality and ease of use. Torque wrenches can be very expensive!

What is a torque wrench?
A torque wrench is used to exert an exacting amount of pressure on a nut, bolt, screw, etc.
Torque is measured in distance over weight.
A common torque measurement in the US is foot-pounds. Also abbreviated as “FT-LBS”
Other frequently used torque measurements are: Inch-Pounds, Kilogram-Meters (KGM), and Newton-Meters(NM).

Going into any further detailed depth regarding the definition of “torque” and this review could quickly become extremely long.

2 basic things I recommend you know about torquing a nut, bolt, screw, etc.
a) How to use a torque wrench.
b) The necessary torque to be applied.

Why is torque important?
Well it depends on the job at hand, if torque is necessary.

Example: Your screwing a light bulb into a socket.
Torque is not important in this example, all you need to do is tighten the bulb enough to make proper contact with the socket.

Example: The tires on your car should always be properly torqued to manufacturer specifications.
Incorrect torquing of tire bolts can lead to premature warping of rotors (think brakes!), incorrect wear patterns on tires, loss of fuel efficiency, and other problems.

I had all 4 tires replaced on my 2004 Honda Accord V6 Sedan (click for review) on 12-10-05 (yes, I keep a log). I decided to check the torque specification for my tire lug nuts in the car manual (72 ft-lbs). I proceeded to check all 20 lug nuts on my 4 tires. They were not set to 72 ft-lbs!

Thanks to the Micrometer Adjustable Torque Wrench, I could set all lug nuts properly and sleep with one less worry in this world.

MICROMETER TORQUE WRENCH BACKGROUND
- This torque wrench is adjustable from 10 ft-lbs to 150ft-lbs (up to 20.7 KGM)
- FT-LBS are listed on one side of the handle and Kilogram-Meters are listed on the other side of handle.
- It has a 1/2 inch drive.
- Tool is 18 inches long
- It is made of Nickle Chrome Alloy Steel.
- “Knurled Handle” for easy grip when setting torque and using wrench.
- It is a “click style” wrench which is known to be superior to “beam style”.
- Socket can tighten (with torque) and also loosen like a normal wrench.

MY OPINION with notes regarding above section
1/2 inch drive (on tool) is best suited for automotive application and similar work, however you can easily buy a socket adapter set and use 1/4 or 3/8 inch sockets also, these sets typically cost about $5 at a local automotive store.

I personally measured the following: Neck is 1 inch wide, Socket area is 1 inches wide, and handle area is 1
inch wide.
Wrench composition is very strong and well machined. Neck has brilliant silver lustre appearance and is very smooth. Handle is ribbed (aka “Knurled”) and serves two purposes: setting torque and also gripping tool when using. Socket area is set nicely into tool and very well constructed overall. Clicking mechanism is predictable and provides the user with confidence.

18 inch length of this wrench provides excellent leverage when in use.
Example: Applying a higher torque setting to a lug nut like 100 ft-lbs is not very difficult. It will require some effort but you don't need to have herculean strength.

Click style torque wrenches (such as this one) are far superior to beam style torque wrenches (the ones with triangular scales) in my opinion. They are easier to set torque on tool and easier to apply precision setting to your job while in use with no imperfections.

Hang up hook located at bottom of unit on locking nut is very useful for placing this tool on a pegboard. It’s also helpful for turning locking nut.

Use this tool properly once and you have now mastered it.
If you have never used a torque wrench before, there is nothing to be intimidated or overwhelmed by. Especially a well constructed torque wrench like this one!

MANUAL
The manual is one page with type printed on both sides and contains 2 small illustrations. Page is 5 wide by 8 long (yep, I measured!).
Font page contains directions and cautions
Back page only contains a conversion table for cross referencing metric and imperial torque settings.

Usage instructions in manual are detailed and somewhat confusing to say the least.
I will provide a much easier to read instruction on use:

1) Unlock handle by turning lock nut counter clockwise.
”Lock nut” is located at the very bottom of the tool, it faces the ground when tool is upright in your hand and is black in color
2) Set amount of torque necessary by turning tool handle.
Handle spins counter clockwise to increase torque and clockwise to decrease torque (this is not a misprint: opposite of righty tighty, lefty loosey). Handle has numbers 0-9 on it with hash marks on each number. Neck of wrench has increments of ten (ex. 50, 60, 70).
To set 30 ft-lbs of torque: Spin handle counter clockwise until the "0" vertical line on handle aligns perfectly with the "30" horizontal dash on neck of tool.
To set 34 ft-lbs of torque: Spin handle counter clockwise until it reaches "30" horizontal dash on the neck, continue spinning past the 30 until the "4" vertical line on handle is reached.

3) Lock the handle (and your torque setting) by tightening the locking nut located at the bottom of the tool.
4) Now attach the correct size socket to the 1/2 inch drive on the tool.
5) Apply tool to nut, bolt, etc. Grab handle and pull tool (tighten) until a click is heard and felt.
6) Immediately stop pulling on wrench once this click is heard and felt. You just set the torque to spec!

JOB WELL DONE!

When your torque wrench is not in use, I highly recommend locking the torque setting on handle to 20 ft-lbs. This is not described as necessary in the manual, but I read this information awhile back. Doing so should prolong the lifespan of your torque wrench because the spring inside is under tension.

PER MANUAL: Never turn handle below lowest torque setting
PER MANUAL: Wrench was calibrated and tested before leaving the factory and is accurate to within plus/minus 4%.
PER MANUAL: Clean wrench by wiping, never immerse in any type of cleaner!

COST
I purchased this torque wrench for about $25 from Wal-mart over one year ago.
Under $30 for a precision torque wrench is very cheap!
Not to mention it is still in perfect working order!

CONS
Scale is not easily visible when setting torque. Tool is silver and scale is engraved in the silver. Improper lightening and you may need a flashlight to make your torque settings.

Hello Micrometer people, you out there? I can’t find your website via Googling. And www.micrometer.com does not belong to the Micrometer Tool Company.

I give 4.5 out of 5 stars for these reasons. (4.5 star individual rating is not an option on Epinions, so I put 4)
However, tool works brilliantly when you overcome these cons.

Tool related reviews by me:
Craftsman 18in Gas Chainsaw
Dremel 400 XPR Rotary Tool
SharkBite Compression Fittings
SharkBite Disconnect Clip
WD-40 with Smart Straw
GoJo Hand Cleaner

Thanks for reading my review!

Hot Wheels Jc Whitney Bel Air Car Red 1/64 Scale

Hot Wheels Jc Whitney Bel Air Car Red 1/64 Scale

Hot Wheels JC Whitney Bel Aire Red -1/64 scale. New In Package. SHIPPING RATES DETAILS: Shipping is $8.00 for all continental U.S. packages and are sh...

2001 Hotwheels ''jc Whitney'' Limited = Purple Passion = Blue

2001 Hotwheels ''jc Whitney'' Limited = Purple Passion = Blue

''2001 HOTWHEELS LIMITED EDITION'' PURPLE PASSION = BLUE JC WHITNEY - SPECIAL EDITION - REAL RIDER TIRES NEW IN BOX .............. SHIPPING DISCOUNTS ...

Hot Wheels Jc Whitney Dairy Delivery

Hot Wheels Jc Whitney Dairy Delivery

HOT WHEELS JC WHITNEY DAIRY DELIVERY from HOT WHEELS JC WHITNEY LIMITED EDITION Don't let this one slip away! Die-Cast Metal Body. Scale 1:64 Item No....

Hot Wheels Jc Whitney '40 Ford Truck Special Edition

Hot Wheels Jc Whitney '40 Ford Truck Special Edition

HOT WHEELS JC WHITNEY '40 FORD TRUCK SPECIAL EDITION from HOT WHEELS JC WHITNEY SPECIAL EDITION Don't let this one slip away! Die-Cast Metal Body. Sca...

Hot Wheels Jc Whitney 1955 Chevy Nomad Real Rider Tires Special Edition

Hot Wheels Jc Whitney 1955 Chevy Nomad Real Rider Tires Special Edition

HOT WHEELS JC WHITNEY 1955 CHEVY NOMAD REAL RIDERS from HOT WHEELS JC WHITNEY SPECIAL EDITION real riders tires. Don't let this one slip away! Die-Cas...

Hot Wheels Jc Whitney Shoe Box Blue Buy It Now.

Hot Wheels Jc Whitney Shoe Box Blue Buy It Now.

For Sale: Hot Wheels JC Whitney Shoe Box Blue. Very good condition. Please Study The Pictures Closely and ask any question before buying as all sales ...

Hot Wheels Jc Whitney 1957 Chevy Bel Air Real Riders Tires Special Edition

Hot Wheels Jc Whitney 1957 Chevy Bel Air Real Riders Tires Special Edition

HOT WHEELS JC WHITNEY 1957 CHEVY BEL AIR REAL RIDERS from HOT WHEELS JC WHITNEY LIMITED EDITION real riders tires. Don't let this one slip away! Die-C...

Hot Wheels Jc Whitney Shoe Box Red Buy It Now.

Hot Wheels Jc Whitney Shoe Box Red Buy It Now.

For Sale: Hot Wheels JC Whitney Shoe Box Red. Very good condition. Please Study The Pictures Closely and ask any question before buying as all sales a...

Hot Wheels 1998 Jc Whitney Nomad Green

Hot Wheels 1998 Jc Whitney Nomad Green

HOT WHEELS 1998 JC WHITNEY NOMAD condition is mint to near mint condition (if you need details on my definition of mint please email prior to buying) ...

Hot Wheels Jc Whitney Automotive Exclusive Lot Of 2 Rodger Dodger Blue And Red

Hot Wheels Jc Whitney Automotive Exclusive Lot Of 2 Rodger Dodger Blue And Red

Up for Auction is a Lot of 2 Hot Wheels JC Whitney Automotive Exclusive Rodger Dodger One Blue, One Red Near Mint Boxes Thanks for Looking and Good Lu...