Read Reviews (25) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

Handling And Control:

View all reviews by y2knismomax

Great snow vehicle

by y2knismomax:      Jan 23, 2005

Pros: Amazing snow capabilty, cargo space, lots of places to put things inside
Cons: "non-aggressive" appearance doesnt show its true capability. snow braking could be better.
The Bottom Line: Excellent overall vehicle from people hauler to highway cruiser, to foul weather vehicle to equipment hauler....all in one

THIS IS STRICTLY A SNOW REVIEW FOR THE HONDA PILOT. Most other people pointed out it's features and what they liked and didnt like. Well we had a bad snow-storm here in jersey today and yesterday and I was driving my Pilot in the snow. I went through everything from 1" of powder to 3 1/2 foot snow drift.....yes 3 and a half feet. I was driving home when i saw a big drift which didn't look too deep so I tried going through it at about 20 MPH the Pilot came to a halt in the middle of it. I was stuck. I was a few miles away from home, no cell phone, and it was 16 degrees with wind chills under 0. I was so scared i could barely open the car doors the snow was on the hood. I switched the Pilot into VTM-4 Lock mode and proceeded to go backwards and forwards a few times. AMAZINGLY, after a few minutes the Pilot pulled itself out of the drift. I could feel the front and rear wheels swapping power to find the best grip. I was so happy I would not have made it walking home in 3-4 feet of snow with shoes on. I love the Pilot so much I needed to write reviews on it. It saved me from a devestating walk back home. This is a 100% true story.....some may think it is hard to believe but I just wanted everyone to know how excellent the Pilot is. Also, earlier in the day going up a steep driveway the Pilot has more traction than my fathers ford expedition. He needed a running start to get up it while i did not. The VTM-4 is a great 4 wheel drive system that swaps power front and rear to find the most grip in normal mode and in Lock mode, locks the rear differential for maximum grip. The handling is sure-footed in the snow, while not sliding too much but letting you know when enough is enough. Braking is good, wider tires would increase braking ability but decrease how it digs through snow. I was able to fit a full size snow thrower in the back of the truck with the seats folded down. We transported it to a few people houses and did their driveways. Lots of room and height in the rear. The heated seats, mirrors and heat in general is excellent in the pilot providing plenty of heat in near 0 temperatures. There is enough ground clearance to be able to drive on curbs in the snow and not scrape anything...and if you do scrape anything there are a few skid plates underneath. This may not be the biggest, baddest SUV on the road, but for the things people say they dislike about "crossover" or "wannabe-SUV's" this one looks soft but will take anything you throw at it. Amazing vehicle. Note: the truck had cheap Good Year economy tires on it that cost $60 a piece. imagine good tires on it.
Condition: New