Read Reviews (24) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2005 Escape

Handling And Control:

Serious Fuel Tank Problems 2005 Escape XLT BEWARE!!!

by hthecam:      Jan 13, 2006

Product Rating: 2.0 Recommended: No

Pros: Great looking car. I like the way it drives.
Cons: Major fuel tank problems, Ford will not do anything to fix the problem. BEWARE!!!
The Bottom Line: Check the fuel tank situation BEFORE you buy the vehicle.Do not count on FORD's factory warranty

I bought a used 2005 Ford Escape XLT and it still has the full Ford factory warranty. After the purchase I noticed my 2005 Escape XLT has serious fuel tank problem. I can only fuel up my car 50cent at a time because the sensors in the gas tank will frequently shut off EVERY gaspump I use. So I have to wait a couple of seconds and restart the filling until the gaspump will shut off again and again and again and again. Filling up that car will take at least 15 (FIFTEEN) minutes since I have to take out the nozzle and let the gasoline run smoothly in tank while being exposed to the fumes and liquid. Several time did I spill gasoline on me and my vehicle. This is a serious SAFETY CONCERN.

I brought it to the dealer and they have had numerous vehicles with the same problem. The Ford Motor Company put out a service memo to all dealers. It is TSB 05-18-4 which tells the repair facility how to "fix" the problem. Unfortunately according to the memo TSB 05-18-4 the problem will ill occur on some vehicles even AFTER the repair. And unfortunately my vehicle is one of them. Unfixable according to BEV SMITH FORD in West Palm Beach Florida and I would have to live with this. They would not do anything about it anymore.

I called Ford in Michigan and explained the situation. Their response: " I have to live with this situation and they are NOT going to fix that problem or have anyone working on this problem." According to FORD customer service it is not their problem. The gas stations pumps are not designed for their vehicle. Some pumps would work but they will not tell me which one. I would have to figure that out myself."

Great factory warranty ... I know one thing. My next vehicle will NOT be a Ford.
Amount Paid (US$): 20.000.00