Read Reviews (28) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

View all reviews by kokowheelman

MuscleOffroadQuietReliable-Car 5.7L Limited QD-II

by kokowheelman:      Feb 18, 2011

Pros: Fast, Reliable (for me), Great Size, NAV, QD-II (best 4wd in world)
Cons: gas mileage, visibility, stability over potholes at 40mph+
The Bottom Line: I like this car. Some people complain about interior materials, I don't.
It's been reliable for me.
It's fast.
Bad gas mileage. Use the 89 for the Hemi.

I got this car as a hand-me-down from my Dad in 2009. It was given to me when it had around 85,000 miles and it no sits at 133,000. In that time, I've had to replace or had repaired: the starter. And thats it. It was the original starter from when the car was new, so it was about time anyway. I've replaced the brake rotors, pads, tires, and motor for the rear left window (all from when the car was new). The rotors, pads, and tires (which were the second set the car has had, on the car's third), were easy to replace. The rear rotors required a bit of brute force and rust-remover to get off, but they came off. I've replaced window motors in cars before, so that repair wasn't too hard. I would of replaced the starter myself and saved $200 in labor, but I saw online that it is very difficult to access, forcing you to remove the front-driveshaft, the right tire, the right wheel-wheel plastic, and then its a tough item to get out once you can touch it (but still not see it).

It's still on the original battery, transmission, and engine.

Now for the good stuff:

It drives really well. I've pushed it to the limits in terms of cornering, and it is no BMW, but it doesn't surprise you either at the limits. I've never lost traction with this car, so it makes me think it can take some corners even faster. It does understeer a bit at the limits (full time 4wd). It's got a better ride than my previous car (2001 Chevy Suburban) and a better ride than my brother's Ford Explorer. It can be a little skittish on large pot-holes at speed (as it can tend to waver left-right from front-to-back (what SUV doesn't). It's very quiet as well. You can hear the engine at WOT but it's not deafening. Wind-noise is very subdued.

It's fast! I've raced everything (except an SRT-8 GC). I've beaten old M3's, Lexus', Mustangs, Camaros, other souped up German SUVS. The key is to put down the brakes, rev up to the max rpm you can without the car moving, and when the light is green GO! No loss of traction (even in wet) meant one time I was even (and a little ahead) with a Porsche 911 (idiot driver) until 40 mph.

Comfy seats for longer drives.
22 mpg hwy.
-14 mpg city.
Condition: Used
Model Year: 2005
Model and Options: Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L 4x4 QD-II 5.7L Trail Rated (skid-plates)