Read Reviews (23) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2005 tC

Great car, great price

by tazzosu:      Oct 13, 2004 - Updated Oct 15, 2004

Pros: dual sunroofs, alloy wheels, power everything, under $18k!
Cons: heavy, which affects cornering ability, but not that bad
The Bottom Line: If you are in the market for a coupe, add the tC to your list of cars to test drive.

At first, I was a little hesitant to think seriously about the tC. Scion was a relatively new brand and the tC was an even newer car. Track record was non-existent and no one I knew had driven one, as the car hit the market just a few months ago. I went down to a Scion dealership to take a look and was pretty much floored with how many features come standard on the car. The price was simply unbelievable for the number of convenience features included. Power everything, dual sunroofs, 2.4L 160 HP engine, 160 Watt Pioneer sound-system with MP3 playback, and 17" alloy wheels are just a few of the nice features for this car. On top of all of that, there are more than 40 dealer installed options you can add to personalize the car.

After the salesperson explained all of the options available to me, I test drove the tC. My first impression was that the car was pretty neat and had everything I wanted in a sporty coupe. I went for it and purchased the car that day. After driving the tC for several weeks, I realize how good the car really is. In addition to the all of the features, the interior build quality is fantastic. The buttons, knobs, and levers operate very smoothly. Many people equate this level of refinement to a Lexus. One of my complaints with other cars in the tC's segment is that the stock CD player was awful. The tC's stock system is amazing. 160 Watts of crisp sounding music with thumping bass. I opted for the in-dash 6-disc player and have not been disappointed. The MP3 playback feature alone puts the system well ahead of others.

From a performance perspective, the engine provides more than enough power to move the car. What some people may not know is that the car is driven by a 2.4L 160 HP engine normally found in Camrys. This equates to smooth shifting and great reliability. Cornering is pretty good, but is affected by the relatively heavy weight of the car. The ride is pretty smooth, but can be a little bumpy at times because of the 17" alloy wheels.

Overall, you won't find a car that has this many features for such a low price. Scion has somehow found a way of putting together an amazing car and keeping the price below that of many cars that don't have nearly as many features as the tC. So if you're thinking about getting a Honda Civic, Acura RSX, or any coupe for that matter, seriously consider the tC.
Amount Paid (US$): 22000