Read Reviews (15) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2006 A4

View all reviews by rottersclub

What a disappointment!

by rottersclub:      Dec 1, 2006

Product Rating: 1.0 Recommended: No

Pros: Great traction with snow tires and Quattro. Cool features in the premium package.
Cons: Way overpriced. Avoid the automatic transmission. Poor fuel economy for a 4 cylinder engine.
The Bottom Line: Don't buy this car - it is overpriced for what you get. There are much better cars for significantly less money available.

Sorry to dissent, but what a disappointment my Audi A4 Quattro 2.0 T has been. The biggest problem for me is the automatic transmission combined with the the 4 cylinder engine. The transmission insists on shifting way too soon (to improve fuel economy which sucks regardless). In Sport mode, it shifts way too late. I can't ever seem to get the car to stay in 4'th gear revving at 2000 rpm or so. Invariably, I get fed up and switch to Tiptronic mode, which pretty much defeats the whole idea of buying an automatic. I would advise all potential buyers to avoid the automatic transmission with the small engine.

Compared to my last car - a Lexus - the interior and controls are a joke. Several stupid examples, there's no automatic control for the defroster - so when you switch to defrost, it just blasts away. The automatic climate control doesn't keep the side windows defrosted, so I'm constantly switching between the two! In the summer, I had numerous occasions in which the air conditioner was blasting so hard that condensation formed on the outside of the windshield. It was so bad that I had to keep my wipers on - on a bright sunny day! Whoever thought of putting shiny aluminum finishes in the interior of the cabin should be shot - just what I need, reflections from my own interior on bright sunny days! There's no room in the rear, but that seems to be a problem in all the cars in this class. AM radio reception is at third world standards. I find there are a lot of odd reflections from the dashboard at night, especially in the side window that are very distracting. The center console extends out quite a bit and it eliminates a significant amount of leg room on the right. Another poor design decision in the interior.

I got the premium package with the 17" tires. At first, I thought the car felt a little leaden with them. I just put on 16" snow tires and the car is much more nimble with them than with the all-season Continentals!

I find the car is extremely expensive for what you actually get. The two best features are the rain sensing wipers and the auto-dimming rear view mirror.
Recommended: No