Read Reviews (5) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan

Swivel 'N' Go Rocks in 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan

by elegans:      Dec 14, 2009

Pros: Two thumbs up for space, comfort, and user friendliness for kids and parents alike.
Cons: None.
The Bottom Line: Highly recommended for unique Swivel 'N' Go seats that make back seat riding a pleasure for kids.  All features easy to use and make ride enjoyable.

We decided to get a 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan with the Swivel 'N' Go feature.  This is the feature where the two middle row, captain seats can face either forward or backwards.  Also, there is a table that can be inserted between the second and third row.  This feature is fantastic for kids.  It creates a party atmosphere when the seats are rear facing and when the kids get tired of looking at each other, they can turn back around forward facing.  Beyond the Swivel 'N' Go, this model is very user friendly, has a semi-luxurious feel, and is a really comfortable ride.   First off, I like that a seven-year-old can turn the seats either direction.  In fact, all of the features are very child friendly.  Even my 2-year-old can push the button on the inside by her seat to shut the automatic sliding doors.  And I don't have to worry about anyone getting a hand caught in the door with the safety stop feature.  If my arms are full, I can use the key thob to double click the automatic sliding doors and rear hatch open or shut.  The second row windows roll down which is a real luxury for kids, yet parents have a lock option on the drivers door that prevents kids from playing "open and shut the window".  And the kids have no problem working the 2 DVD screens or their private headphones.  The headphones are ingenius since the kids can hear their movie and I can listen to the Sirius radio (another great upgrade if you enjoy radio shows in addition to music).  The rear camera (another upgrade that is fabulous) really gives you confidence when backing up and is displayed on the media screen where a radio normally is in a car/van.  Oh!  And I forgot to mention that the 3rd row seats fold flat into the floor and the 2nd row is removable if you ever need to cargo stuff.  Albeit, this is the one drawback of the Swivel 'N' Go feature, the 2nd row looses the ability to fold flat into the floor like in the Stow 'N' Go models.  To me, it's well worth the sacrifice and at least there is the option of removing the 2nd row seats if need be. The front seat has an air of luxury with a quiet cabin, an optional console (definitely recommend this upgrade), super groovy media display screen, and wood trim touches (although, I'm guessing it could be faux wood, but who cares, we're talking minivan here not a Mercedes).  The console helps to prevent clutter in the car by holding it neatly in one spot and has drink holders.  The media screen lets you control the DVD (or the kids can use their remotes), the radio, has a camera for backing up (if you upgrade), and all of the modern phone connections and charging plugs are nearby.  Some models have the navigation system displayed too, if you choose that upgrade.  If you are coming from a van without the media screen, you will feel like this is an ultra modern feature.  The back seats definitely seem more like a first class ride with the captain seats.  Also, the nets on the sides of the seats can hold clutter and there are headphone holders above each seat. Overall, there is a feeling of orderliness that all parents will enjoy.  You may even be inspired to ban food from your luxury ride like we were, sorry kids!  The driver can completely customize the seat.  He/she can adjust the height, incline, and distance of the seat and can even adjust the pedals.  The space is fantastic.  All rows are roomy with plenty of space for luggage around the seats on road trips.  The rear hatch area is deeper than the older models and there is storage under the floor when the seats are up.  The temperature controls in the front and rear allow for individual preferences.  Since the features are all easy to use, you actually use them.  I can say that this minivan is a winner and makes our family of six happy to go for a drive.  And all this with good gas mileage for a minivan and a fairly sharp looking exterior.
Amount Paid (US$): 23,000