Click to see larger image
Great States 20" Scotts Classic Push Reel Mower (B00004RA3E)
8 consumer reviews
Average Product Rating:
Good eco-friendly mower; but not perfect.
Oct 17, 2008 (Updated Apr 27, 2009)
Review by jkhatfsu
Rated a Very Helpful Review
Pros:Eco-friendly, inexpensive, easy to store, good cutting path
Cons:Handle is less sturdy; not good on edges; cannot cut weeds / tall grass
The Bottom Line: Buy if you want to be eco-friendly and view yardwork as exercise. Avoid if you like to lounge atop a riding lawnmower with cupholder.
From reading the reviews on Amazon, I thought this mower would be the panacea of all mowers. It is, indeed, very good. But, I have to provide an objective, balanced review.
Recommend this product?
1) Quiet (but not silent) operation.
2) No gas or electricity. Very eco-friendly!
3) Push and go. Little maintenance.
4) Cheaper than other eco-friendly options like battery powered mowers or corded.
5) Easy for small lawns; produces a crisp, clean cut if you go over the area thoroughly.
6) Small size is good for storage.
7) larger cutting path than some electric models.
I give it a high recommendation, but it is not perfect for several reasons:
1) It does not do well against edges of the lawn. This is because the wheels must touch solid ground to operate the blades. If you edge is against a curb, this will be hard to accomplish.
2) It will NOT cut weeds, tall grass, or wet/damp grass (it will somewhat, but not very well).
3) Twigs, debris, etc. will often clog the mower.
4) The grass clippings can be lodged on the back of the mower and will fall off into your garage (or wherever you store this mower). It is necessary to lift the mower and/or manually pull out the excess clippings.
5) The handle is not a single solid piece and, therefore, is a bit wobbly. It would have been better to have a single solid handle.
6) It has a difficult time on uneven ground and will sometimes miss grass. Accordingly, one must push the mower in different directions (like vacuuming an area over and over) to get the missed grass.
7) Made in China (but, at least, it appears to be constructed of good materials -- excluding the fact that multiple pieces are used to form the handle, making it less sturdy)
The amount of strength required to push it is similar to a gas push mower. Maybe a little more work on inclines.
Overall, I would likely buy the mower again given the size of my lot. However, if you have 3/4 acre or more, this might be too strenuous if you are unaccustomed to it. Also, if you want a flawless yard or have some inclines, it may not meet expectations.
It is likely best suited for a 1/2 acre or less yard with only gentle slopes. WD-40 helps keep the blades turning easily.
UPDATE - APRIL 2009:
The mower is only useful for normal height grass with no weeds. Also, it only works well when the grass and ground are completely dry. Like most lawns, mine has a few tough patches of grass and weeds. The mower will not cut this and, accordingly, I am left with an incomplete yard. Also, without ideal conditions, I have found the mower to be VERY difficult to push even with WD-40 lubrication. Overall, I think my opinion has changed and I probably wouldn't buy this product again.
Share this product review with your friends
NEW Scotts 76565 Turf Builder Classic Drop Spreader 10000-Square-Foot Coverage We stock our own items Free shipping for great quality items Scotts spr...
Scotts 76565 Turf Builder Classic Drop Spreader Product Features: Large capacity hopper holds more than 10,000 square feet of Scotts lawn products Hea...
No spreader settings- Snap is calibrated with one setting No spilling- Snap Pac locks into place- uses exact amount of fertilizer Push spreader Edg...
Holds up to 5,000 sq. ft. of Scotts lawn products. Designed to ensure superior results when used with Scotts lawn food. Delivered ready to sell and ...
Scotts Liquid Turf Builder with Plus 2 Weed Control gives your lawn a quick boost of nitrogen while controlling weeds.
This classic Scotts Push Reel Mower gives you the fuel savings of a manual mower and the wide cutting width of a power mower. Its unique rear wheel de...
dealingdavesdeals store ScottsŪ Snap Spreader (77105) No spreader settings- Snap is calibrated with one setting No spilling- Snap Pac locks into place...
New , Scotts Turf Builder Classic Drop Lawn Spreader # 76565 item 760173 Turf BuilderŪ Classic Drop Spreader Large capacity hopper holds more than 10,...
Use exclusively with Scotts SNAP spreader. Apply in spring and fall when weeds are growing. Kills dandelions, white clover, chickweed, plantain and ra...
For late fall feeding. Formulated to encourage vigorous root and rhizome development. Apply in late fall or early winter for grass to stay green longe...