Click to see larger image
Great States 20" Scotts Classic Push Reel Mower (B00004RA3E)
(8 Epinions reviews)
Epinions Product Rating:
Good eco-friendly mower; but not perfect.
Oct 17, 2008 (Updated Apr 27, 2009)
Review by jkhatfsu
Rated a Very Helpful Review
Pros:Eco-friendly, inexpensive, easy to store, good cutting path
Cons:Handle is less sturdy; not good on edges; cannot cut weeds / tall grass
The Bottom Line: Buy if you want to be eco-friendly and view yardwork as exercise. Avoid if you like to lounge atop a riding lawnmower with cupholder.
From reading the reviews on Amazon, I thought this mower would be the panacea of all mowers. It is, indeed, very good. But, I have to provide an objective, balanced review.
Recommend this product?
1) Quiet (but not silent) operation.
2) No gas or electricity. Very eco-friendly!
3) Push and go. Little maintenance.
4) Cheaper than other eco-friendly options like battery powered mowers or corded.
5) Easy for small lawns; produces a crisp, clean cut if you go over the area thoroughly.
6) Small size is good for storage.
7) larger cutting path than some electric models.
I give it a high recommendation, but it is not perfect for several reasons:
1) It does not do well against edges of the lawn. This is because the wheels must touch solid ground to operate the blades. If you edge is against a curb, this will be hard to accomplish.
2) It will NOT cut weeds, tall grass, or wet/damp grass (it will somewhat, but not very well).
3) Twigs, debris, etc. will often clog the mower.
4) The grass clippings can be lodged on the back of the mower and will fall off into your garage (or wherever you store this mower). It is necessary to lift the mower and/or manually pull out the excess clippings.
5) The handle is not a single solid piece and, therefore, is a bit wobbly. It would have been better to have a single solid handle.
6) It has a difficult time on uneven ground and will sometimes miss grass. Accordingly, one must push the mower in different directions (like vacuuming an area over and over) to get the missed grass.
7) Made in China (but, at least, it appears to be constructed of good materials -- excluding the fact that multiple pieces are used to form the handle, making it less sturdy)
The amount of strength required to push it is similar to a gas push mower. Maybe a little more work on inclines.
Overall, I would likely buy the mower again given the size of my lot. However, if you have 3/4 acre or more, this might be too strenuous if you are unaccustomed to it. Also, if you want a flawless yard or have some inclines, it may not meet expectations.
It is likely best suited for a 1/2 acre or less yard with only gentle slopes. WD-40 helps keep the blades turning easily.
UPDATE - APRIL 2009:
The mower is only useful for normal height grass with no weeds. Also, it only works well when the grass and ground are completely dry. Like most lawns, mine has a few tough patches of grass and weeds. The mower will not cut this and, accordingly, I am left with an incomplete yard. Also, without ideal conditions, I have found the mower to be VERY difficult to push even with WD-40 lubrication. Overall, I think my opinion has changed and I probably wouldn't buy this product again.
Share this product review with your friends
Scotts Turf Builder Classic Drop Spreader
Scotts 76565 Turf Builder Classic Drop Spreader Product Features: Large capacity hopper holds more than 10,000 square feet of Scotts lawn products Hea...
NEW Scotts 76565 Turf Builder Classic Drop Spreader 10000-Square-Foot Coverage We stock our own items Free shipping for great quality items Scotts spr...
Shop for Garden Center at The Home Depot. Scotts Snap spreader is made exclusively to be used with the Scotts Snap Pac product family. The spreader ha...
Scotts Moss Control Granules - #31005A For fast and thorough moss control. Apply any time moss is growing. Contains iron. Does not contain fertili...
No spreader settings- Snap is calibrated with one setting No spilling- Snap Pac locks into place- uses exact amount of fertilizer Push spreader Edg...
Product Information: Light, maneuverable, economical. The Scotts 2000-20 Classic Push Reel Lawnmower handles thick turf with ease and provides a quiet...
Scotts 76565 Turf Builder Classic Drop Spreader, 10000-Square-Foot Coverage Upgrade to 2-Day Air for just $5.99! $80.95 $64.11 Details Manufacturer: S...
New , Scotts Turf Builder Classic Drop Lawn Spreader # 76565 item 760173 Turf Builder® Classic Drop Spreader Large capacity hopper holds more than 10,...
This item can be purchased on-line, however, due to shipping restrictions, ITEM PICKUP IS ONLY AVAILABLE AT YOUR LOCAL ACE STORE.