2Wire 2701HG-B 54 Mbps 4-Port 10/100 Wireless G Router Reviews

2Wire 2701HG-B 54 Mbps 4-Port 10/100 Wireless G Router

Epinions Product Rating: OK

This has been a big improvement!

Apr 18, 2008 (Updated Apr 20, 2009)

• Ease of Installation:

Pros:DSL modem and Wireless router in one, easy install, works great, AT&T support

Cons:A little pricey; sparse manuals

The Bottom Line: Works great with AT&T DSL. Highly recommended.

I have AT&T Worldnet DSL for my internet connection.

Through last week, I was using a Siemens Speedstream 4100 supplied by AT&T as my DSL modem and had the D-Link DI-624 as my wireless router. My main PC, A Dell Dimension 8100 is a desktop and was wired to the DI-624. Our second PC, a Dell Inspiron 6000 notebook, had a wireless connection. Both PCs have ax XP environment.

The DI-624 basically stopped functioning last Friday. All the lights were on but I couldn’t get a functioning internet connection even though I did several soft resets. So, I did a hard reset before I left, since I did have all my AT&T logoin and password information. I figured I would reinstall the D-Link and get it working after I came home from work. I re called that the DI setup was difficult for someone with my technical skills and took a long time. Furthermore, I had never figured out how to network the printer hardwired to the desktop so that I could print to it directly from the laptop.

It was critical for me to get this going. During the day, I am Controller for a sizeable not-for-profit organization. Our audit was coming, and working late was not a good option as I care for my disabled wife after her helper leaves. So, I was doing work at home by connecting to the office through VPN (virtual private network) on the laptop, since I was unable to configure it on the desktop.

So, I called the AT&T technical support on the way into the office. I found out that AT&T was recommending this unit, the 2Wire 2701HG-B gateway as a single unit that would act both as DSL modem and gateway. AT&T would sell it to me through mail order for $79.95 plus tax and $10 shipping. I asked if their local stores had this and the rep did not know. I then did some surfing during lunch and learned that:

- The DI-624 is no longer in current production
- The 2Wire unit had the 811.2G protocol, which was certainly fast enough for my needs.
- The 2wire 2701HB-G was in stock at all the Best Buy stores between where I work and where I live, at a price of $89.95 plus tax.
- The 2wire unit has 4 wired ports and could support multiple wireless terminals
- 128 bit encryption was available. I had the lower level on the D-Link and seemed unable to figure out how to upgrade it.
- The installation manual and user gude .PDFs at the 2Wire web site did not look overly intimidating.

It just didn’t seem to make sense to fool around with another router, especially since the 2Wire unit would be replacing two with one. The user rating on the Linksys I was looking at talked about difficulty in configuring.

The other piece that I really liked is that I would be able to use AT&T tech support for this if I needed to, since this was the unit they were specifying. So, I bought this after work.

The package was geared toward initial installs. In the box was:
- a very sparse 4 page guide on home installation
- an Ethernet cable
- a data cable to attach to the phone
- the 2701HB-G
- the power supply
- 4 standard DSL filters, plus an additional DSL filter for a wall-mount phone
- A backup CD.

The box also promised an available rebate for initial activation.

I followed the installation instructions using my AT&T passwords. The instructions implied that the CD was only there if necessary and that most installations did not need it. Well, mine did, since my AT&T account was already established. I put the CD in and followed the instructions. They were extremely easy to follow. I did call once when there was a password question that I did not know how to answer. The tech helped me and soon I was in business with the desktop going. Configuring the connection for the 128-bit security and the wireless connection was also easy. 2 wire has a protocol based on the serial number and an assigned encryption key printed on the serial number label.

I did spend about an hour using the Windows Network Setup Wizard trying to get the two computers to recognize each other and the printer. This failed miserably. However, I did locate a resource in the Dell help files. Using that, I had everything hooked up, including file sharing and the laptop printing to the desktop printer, within another half an hour.

A couple of days later, I noticed that I was getting occasional drops after 10-15 minutes, so I called AT&T. The tech walked me through some advanced internet option screens, did something with a fixed DNS field and everything has been good since then.

The unit has easy to read green lights for
- power
- internet
- Ethernet
- DSL and
- Wireless

It does not take long for the unit to power up after I turn it on.

I upgraded the DSL service, so basically I am at T1, and both computers are testing there using my favorite tester, the CNET Bandwidth Tester.

Signal strength seems to be better than the D-Link unit. I have full connectivity all over the first floor of our ranch house. With the D-Link, it was usually “good” outside of the room with the router and sometimes no better than “good” in that room.

This has been a reliable product so far. I have traded two at least somewhat fickle units for one more reliable one. I have the ability to use VPN and print documents at home. I have the ability to get knowledgeable 24/7 support from my DSL supplier since I selected the unit that they recommend.

This product has truly made my computing life easier. I highly recommend it to those who have AT&T DSL. Plus, I think this unit would function well with other DSL vendors, too, but you might need to be more technically adept than I am.
I have a new CD release available from my web site, http://www.jazzobsession.com/. Samples are on my Epinions member page. Please check them out.

Please check out these related reviews:
Canon Pixma IP4300 Photo Printer
Maxtor 5000 Personal Storage 160GB External Hard Drive

Driver Availability: Windows only

D-link Di-514 Wireless Cable/dsl Router, 4-port Switch, 802.11b, 11mbps

D-link Di-514 Wireless Cable/dsl Router, 4-port Switch, 802.11b, 11mbps

SquareTrade AP6.0 D-LINK D-Link DI-514 Wireless Cable/DSL Router, 4-Port Switch, 802.11b, 11Mbps Product Condition:New Manufacturer Description Shar...

D-link 150 Mbps 4-port 10/100 Wireless N Router Dir-601

D-link 150 Mbps 4-port 10/100 Wireless N Router Dir-601

*NEW* retail sealed D-Link 150 Mbps 4-Port 10/100 Wireless N Router.D-Link part number is DIR-601

Linksys Wrt51ab 11 Mbps 4-port 10/100 Wireless A + B Router

Linksys Wrt51ab 11 Mbps 4-port 10/100 Wireless A + B Router

Linksys WRT51AB 11 Mbps 4-Port 10/100 Wireless A + B Router ***PLEASE LOOK AT ALL PICTURES IN SUPER-SIZED OPTION FOR MOST ACCURATE DEPICTION OF ITEM L...

Tp Link 300mbps Wireless N Gigabit 4-port Router

Tp Link 300mbps Wireless N Gigabit 4-port Router

Share a single Internet connection with multiple devices in your homes or offices with the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND, a brilliant 300 Mbps router. Thanks to...

Linksys Wrt51ab 11 Mbps 4-port 10/100 Dual Band Wireless A + B Router

Linksys Wrt51ab 11 Mbps 4-port 10/100 Dual Band Wireless A + B Router

What's Included:Linksys Dual-Band Wireless A+B Broadband Router Physical Condition:NEW and FACTORY SEALED.Additional Info:Please verify that the route...

Netgear 4-port Rangemax Wireless-n Router 270mbps 10/100 Dhcp Wnr834b-100nas

Netgear 4-port Rangemax Wireless-n Router 270mbps 10/100 Dhcp Wnr834b-100nas

NETGEAR 4-Port RangeMax Wireless-N Router 270 Mbps 10/100 DHCP WNR834B-100NAS NEW Product Overview The NETGEAR WNR834B RangeMax Next Wireless-N Router...

TP-LINK TL-WDR3600 Wireless N600 Dual Band Router, Gigabit, 2.4GHz 300Mbps+5Ghz 300Mbps, 2 USB port, Wireless On - Off Switch

What This Product DoesTP-LINK's TL-WDR3600 is a performance optimized simultaneous dual band wireless router combining the blazing fast speeds of 300M...
Office Depot
Linksys E1200 - Wireless router - 4-port switch - 802.11b/g/n - 2.4 GHz

Linksys E1200 - Wireless router - 4-port switch - 802.11b/g/n - 2.4 GHz

The Linksys E1200 offers fast speed to connect your computers, wireless printers and other Wi-Fi devices at transfer rates up to 300 Mbps speed. Built...
Dell