-19%

Oster 3125

+$4.97 shipping Walmart.com

Oster Electric Can Opener - It works well

Aug 15, 2011

Pros:Easy to use
Easy to clean
Cord storage area
Includes knife sharpener

Cons:Noisy
Will stall sometimes with dented cans

The Bottom Line: This a a good "basic" can opener that also includes a knife sharpener. It's not fancy, but it works well.

All my life, I’ve used a manual can opener. I don’t know why, but it never occurred to me to buy an electric one. Then one day I injured my thumb and everything changed. I had to choose between getting an electric can opener or not using anything that came in a can. I found the Oster model 3125 while browsing the small appliance section of Target. It was on sale for a great price of $19.99; so, I grabbed one. This particular Oster model not only is a can opener; but also sharpens knives. This dual functionality was a big factor in purchasing this model. I also liked the fact that it has a cord storage area on the back of it where you can pull out as much cord as you need and then push it back in when finished. It makes the opener very neat and compact.

Can Opener
The can opener function is very easy to use. You just raise the lever, insert the can so that the lower edge of the lip sits on top of the opener’s drive wheel, and then push the lever down. The cutting action is smooth and quick. Although, dented cans will stall the opener and you either have to guide the can or position the opener at a different location on the can and start again.

Knife Sharpener
The knife sharpener works great and is easy to use. There is a guide slot on the back of the opener where you place the knife. The heel of the knife should be right at the edge of the slot. You then pull the blade towards you while you apply a slight downward pressure. To put a sharp edge on the knife, you should repeat the motion approximately five times. The manual instructs that serrated knives or hollow ground blades should not be sharpened with this method.

Cleaning
The outside of the opener and the drive wheel can be cleaned using a damp cloth. They are not dishwasher safe. The blade assembly, however, is dishwasher safe. The blade assembly is easy to remove and to reattach. You just lift the lever to a vertical position and slowly ease the blade assembly out. To reinsert – hold lever in vertical position, insert the blade shaft, push the lever all the way down and then rotate the lever clockwise until it is horizontal. The first time I tried this, it took me a short time to figure it out, but after the first time, it’s a snap.

Warranty
According to the manual, the motor and internal gears are permanently lubricated and should not require any maintenance. The opener comes with a limited one-year “material and workmanship” warranty. I really liked this part: the warranty does not cover “acts of God, such as fire, flood, hurricanes, and tornadoes”. The manual lists a 1-800 number for warranty service. Oster is a Sunbeam product.

I’m glad that I purchased this Oster can opener. It is very easy to use and maintain. It does make a lot of noise though. But for the affordability, that’s something I can live with. I just hope an act of God doesn’t break it.

The Oster White Electric Can Opener adds a contemporary style to any kitchen. It is a good way to open cans safely and easily, and it features an auto...