JVC GR GR-DV3 Camcorder

JVC GR-DV3U digital camcoder

Nov 2, 1999 (Updated Nov 3, 1999)

Pros:compact and high quality

Cons:some functions require complex menus

The GR-DV3 is, to the best of my knowledge, the lightest camcorder ever manufactured. It weighs in at 470 grams, including
battery and tape. It is very compact, and fits easily into a coat pocket. I prefer to carry it in a pouch designed for a small 35mm
camera, which attaches to my belt. It is just light enough that it is comfortable to carry this way all day.

The Advantages of Digital Recording

The format uses a tiny cassette which is about half the size of an 8mm camcorder cassette. On this, you can record one
hour at normal speed. (You can record 90 minutes at EP speed, with only a slight reduction in quality. However, there is a risk
of not being able to play it back on any camcorder other than the one it was first recorded on.) It is better than Sony's Digital 8 format, since that makes for bulkier camcorders. Also, Sony is the only one making tha format, and it may fail like Sony's earlier Beta format. If so, you will end up unable to get a new machine to play your digital 8 tapes once your camcorder wears out.

Digital recording means that you can make copies of your tape (to another digital recorder) with no loss in quality. This is
important for making edited copies. If you have a computer equipped with a digital video input card, you can copy video from your
digital camcorder onto your computer, and use your computer to edit your video programs or post videos to the Internet.

The digital standard also happens to be a noticeable step up in quality even from Hi-8, which was until now the highest quality
for home video. Digital recording permits a greater colour bandwith for greater accuracy in colour rendition.

I did a personal subjective test of picture quality by going into a camera store that had various models on display, and doing
some taping with them. This was under normal (moderately dim) indoor lighting conditions. The JVC produced a better picture
than the Canon ZR or Sony TRV5, especially in terms of colour quality and absence of snow. The JVC DVM70, with more pixels in its CCD,
was better than the DV3 in terms of picture sharpness.

You can find a longer, more detailed version of this review on my home page at

Audio/video Av Cable For Jvc Gr-da30us Camcorder 5' (3)

Audio/video Av Cable For Jvc Gr-da30us Camcorder 5' (3)

Audio/Video AV Cable for JVC GR-DA30US Camcorder, 5-foot. This 3.5mm to 3 RCA AV Cable allows you to watch high quality digital video directly from yo...

Usb Cable For Jvc Gr-dv800us, Gr-dv801us Camcorder (05)

Usb Cable For Jvc Gr-dv800us, Gr-dv801us Camcorder (05)

USB Cable for JVC GR-DV800US, GR-DV801US Camcorder, 6-foot. (05)Product Description This small 5-pin USB Mini B connector is compatible with most JVC ...

JVC GR-DV800US Camcorder Battery Charger (110/220v with Car & EU adapters) - Replacement Charger for JVC BN-V408...

Replacement Battery for JVC GR-DV70E, DVJ70, DV1U, DV2, DV14, DVJ70E, DV1W, DV1 (BN-V714, BN-V712, BN-V712U, BN-V714U)

Replacement Battery for JVC GR-DV70E, DVJ70, DV1U, DV2, DV14, DVJ70E, DV1W, DV1 (BN-V714, BN-V712, BN-V712U, BN-V71...

Batterybay.net

JVC GR-DV500US Camcorder Battery Lithium-Ion (3300 mAh) - Replacement for JVC BN-V428U Battery

S-vhs Video Cable For Jvc Gr-sxm37, Sxm38 Camcorder

S-vhs Video Cable For Jvc Gr-sxm37, Sxm38 Camcorder

S-VHS Video Cable for JVC Everio GR-SXM37, GR-SXM38 Camcorder, 6-foot. Product Description. This S-Video Male to Male Gold Cable is for Home Theater, ...

S-video Cable F/ Jvc Gr-df550, Dvl822, Dv3000 Camcorder

S-video Cable F/ Jvc Gr-df550, Dvl822, Dv3000 Camcorder

S-VHS Video Cable for JVC Everio GR-DF550, GR-DVL822, GR-DV3000 Camcorder, 6-foot. Product Description. This S-Video Male to Male Gold Cable is for Ho...

JVC GR-DV4000US Camcorder Battery Lithium-Ion (3300 mAh) - Replacement for JVC BN-V428U Battery

Usb Cable For Jvc Gr-d70us, Gr-d71us Camcorder 6ft (05)

Usb Cable For Jvc Gr-d70us, Gr-d71us Camcorder 6ft (05)

USB Cable for JVC GR-D70US, GR-D71US Camcorder 6-foot. (05) Product Description This is a USB Mini Cable used to download images from your JVC Camera ...

JVC - GY-HM150U 3-CCD Camcorder - Bundle - with DT-X91F ProHD 8.9 Full Featured Monitor,

JVC GY-HM150U 3-CCD Camcorder - Bundle - with DT-X91F ProHD 8.9 Full Featured Monitor, HZ-HM150VZR Remote Lens Control The GY-HM150U Compact Handheld ...
Adorama