Cambridge Soundworks M80 Main / Stereo Speakers Reviews

Cambridge Soundworks M80 Main / Stereo Speakers

Best overall speakers for the money

Jun 7, 2003

• Flatness:
  • Imaging:
  • Overall Sound:

Pros:Very good clarity, nice bass, good definition, very clean sound

Cons:None so far, except a little large for bookshelf speakers

The Bottom Line: A set of great speakers with excellent sound that also look great, match your room, and are not too hard on the wallet. I highly recommend these.

The Cambridge Soundworks M80s have great sound and are a nice addition to any room. They also look great and are Cambridge's best bookshelf speakers. Although, they are a little larger than most bookshelf speakers at 18" H x 10" W x 10 " D. I didn't realize how heavy they are before I ordered them (Over 25 28 pounds per speaker) Complete specifications are available at hifi.com. As a note, it is hard to find speaker stands for these speakers if you plan on using them as the surround speakers.

I ordered the mahogany which nicely matches my furniture. The customer service was great, when one of the four speakers I ordered didn't have a matching finish (a little too brown) they replaced it no questions asked.

One nice feature is that this speaker can be bi-wired and the posts are of high quality. I am currently running these as my four surround speakers to my system, so I rarely even use them close to their full potential, but when I do they still sound incredible.

The M80 has two ports out the rear, and I should have them closer to a wall for better sound, but the sound is still incredible. The speakers are magnetically shielded for use in home theater applications, but with my Onkyo S800 at near full volume, my TV can get a little distortion, but I do have a very cheap TV.

I listened to classical, jazz, techno and movies on the M80s, and have only praise. The sound is very detailed, clean and crisp. I found listening to be a new experience finding little things in my cds that I have never heard before.

All Cambridge Soundworks still have a 45-day complete satisfaction guarantee, so you can take them home, give them a listen, and return them for a full refund if you're not satisfied. They do stick behind this.

Amount Paid (US$): 300/pair

Henry Kloss Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble Iv Speaker System

Henry Kloss Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble Iv Speaker System

Offering a full-scale speaker system for home theater surround, the Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble IV speaker system is a floor standing design. Howeve...