6 Second Abs Program Reviews

6 Second Abs Program

Epinions Product Rating: OK

The 6 Second Abs Program Reviewed by a Personal Trainer

Feb 26, 2005 (Updated Mar 19, 2005)

Pros:Simulates professional machines; portable and easy to use.

Cons:I tried but I can't think of one.

The Bottom Line: Not a truly essential piece of equipment but once you get past the name it is an interesting concept. The resistance makes it unique. I like it.

When I walked into a client‘s home last week and saw the 6 Second Abs Program my original reaction was to cringe...however.

First the details:

What is this gizmo? This gizmo is a way, we are told, to do crunches, which are seen and have been seen for quite awhile, as the best way to work your abdominal area (versus sit ups) while sitting up rather than lying on the floor. They claim that sitting up keeps you in good form. We are told that it will work all sections of your abdominal muscles or that you can target specific ones such as your obliques (sides of your abdomen). Note that this machine can be used lying down as well.

It measures about 22" x 13" x 3" and weighs 3.2 pounds so this is a small, light prop.

You get two sets of resistance bands. I have reviewed some and will give you the links. This is one. Spri Light Tubes Others are below. Although they are not ones I have reviewed I would like you to see what a resistance band is if you do not know. I like them. Two of them are yellow with a resistance of 15 pounds each and two are orange which a resistance of 25 pounds each.

Obviously you can use an orange band with a yellow band to get 40 pounds of resistance or just one band if 15 pounds is enough. The maximum is 55 pounds.

I have a huge problem with a couple of claims made on the material this client showed me. We are told that you may see dramatic results in one week and from the title we think that this happens in 6 seconds?

I never advocate doing 100 or 1000 crunches. I have always maintained that 25 crunches done in proper form are adequate. Three sets doing one set using your obliques would be 75. Crunches should be performed slowly unless you are pulsing (a short movement done usually at the end of a set). I spend 5-6 seconds on each crunch never mind a 6 second workout. Needless to say I was quite interested in trying this out.

You will also get two videos that will show you how to use the prop as well as a diet and exercise guidebook. They are Rock Hard Abs and Total Body Workout.

It is no surprise that the following statement which I have adapted from the material is included.

Individual results may vary and will depend on the number of days after you complete the 6 Second Abs exercise/diet program and your initial fitness level.
The program includes a 1200 calorie diet plus 30 minutes
of exercise a day.

I cannot just ignore that. Your abdominal area more than any other depends on your diet. You will never have rock hard abs or even a flat stomach if you eat cheeseburgers and supersize the fries. No matter how long I train you once you leave me and you put that food in your mouth I cannot undo it.

You will lose weight on a 1200 calorie diet. I guarantee that. If you lose weight most likely your stomach will get a bit smaller both on the inside and outside giving you the impression that this machine has worked. Also note that they want you to exercise 30 minutes a day. If you eat 1200 calories and exercise for 30 minutes a day, your body will look markedly different without this machine.

The cost of this product is approximately $50 depending on where you buy it.

A look at the 6 Second Ab Machine:

I feel as if I have already torn the machine apart but is it all that bad? No actually it is not. My gym has 4 seated abdominal machines which I frequently use along with lying down crunches and other items at my gym. I like some of the abdominal machines better than others but I am not reviewing those at this time. The point I am making is that taking a closer look, what the 6 Second Ab Machine is doing is taking the machine on which I sit and rather than actually using a large piece of equipment I am using the 6 Second Ab Machine to assist me in doing crunches and offer resistance. I do not believe abs should be worked with resistance every single time so if you buy this keep that in mind. However remember this is just my opinion.

Walk with me through my workout. I am going to sit on a chair. I do not have to sit on a bench but something firm is best because I do not want to sink into the seat. In order to get the most out of the resistance I need a harder surface than a couch, for example.

The way I get resistance from the machine is with the resistance bands. It is actually an interesting concept.
I open the plastic cover (which is durable but will not last forever!) and change the bands that are inside. I can take out two and put in the one 15 pound or do any combination as I mentioned above. This is really an easy change. I also found a place to store the extra bands which is a really nice feature.

Now for the reason this machine is called the 6 Second Ab Machine. No one expects any results in 6 seconds as I said above I spend 5-6 second on a crunch and that is exactly what this machine is doing. You will hear clicks as you move down into the crunch. Three clicks tells me that I need to go up. When I hear 3 more clicks I know I have used proper form. Thus 6 seconds!

The machine sits on my lap. The bottom of it is padded and comfortable. It is upright and I am holding onto two handles. The handles have foam on them and are comfortable as well. Gloves are not needed. I have the resistance I want to start out with and perform a crunch. So holding the bars I am bending over while the machine is moving to adjust to the resistance I have put in it. It is so much like one of the machines at my gym that I really am shocked. Except for the size and price, it essentially is working the same muscles in the same way as professional equipment.

Ok Personal Trainer, teach me some tricks and give me your final thoughts::

There are really no tricks. This is an easy to use straightforward machine. There are exercises though that I can suggest. Yesterday I was on a machine that has me lying down. It is a difficult machine for many reasons but that is another review. That machine with a turn of a knob has me doing oblique crunches. The 6 Second Ab Machine will do the same but all I have to do is move it from in front of me to my leg. I am now slightly twisted and perform a crunch just as I would do if the 6 Second Ab Machine were in front of me. You can even do a reverse crunch by lifting your legs and crunching. This is not the best method to do a reverse crunch but it passed my test for the money.

This is a great example of not judging a book by its cover. I like the machine that made me cringe when I first saw it. I like it not only because it really effectively simulates larger machines but because it is safe. It is fairly difficult to hurt yourself using the 6 Second Ab Program. You do not have to worry about straining your neck like many of us do. You do not have to worry about your kids getting their fingers caught in anything. It is light and portable though not small enough to travel with certainly small enough to keep out of site.

In addition if 55 pounds is not enough resistance you can upgrade and get two red bands for $20 increasing the resistance to 75 pounds.

The product can be returned within 30 days.

Is this an essential piece of equipment? No. Would I buy it? Perhaps I would. If you belong to a gym it is not necessary but if you do not belong to a gym you might want to consider giving it a try. I was going to rate this 4 stars but when I got to cons I could not think of one. Since it gives resistance unlike some other props it is in a category of its own. 5 stars!

Again I plead with you to eat healthfully. Your life depends on it. You must do resistance training, cardio vascular work and watch your diet. Without those no machine is going to do anything for you.

Please check with your doctor before starting any exercise program if you have any type of medical condition, are a man over 40 or a woman over 50.

I am going to leave you with something I just read.

A new study from the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota says that just 30 minutes of physical activity boosts metabolism and burns fat for a full 13 hours after the activity has ended!

Source: International Journal of Obesity Vol. 28 No. 10

Please feel free to leave me a comment, question or e-mail me privately.

Other reviews in which you might be interested:

What you should know about the Bowflex BrandBowflex Xtreme XTLUBowflex UltimateCrossbowWeider CrossBar

How to Choose a Health ClubWorld GymCurves for WomenPowerHouse Gym

Precise Ab Trainer Club ProStamina AB Hyper Extension BenchThane AB-DOer ProAb LoungeYukon Ab Crunch Machine

Total GymNordic Track Futura 2600
Yukon Competitor Lat Pull Down MachineYukon Economy Lat Pull Down MachineFitness Quest Air RowerProForm TreadmillStairMaster 4600PT StepperCybex Pro TeadmillCybex 900T treadmillCybex Arc TrainerPrecor EFX546 Elliptical TrainerConcept II rowerPrecor C846 RecumbentNordicTrack Classic Pro skierLifeFitness LifeCycle"Yukon Seated Calf Machine

Cap Barbell Handle
Cap Olympic WeightsCap Double D HandleCap Barbell Chromed Hollow 48-Inch Lat Pull Machine BarCap Barbell Chromed Hollow 18-Inch Low Row T BarCap Barbell Pull Down Rope

Reebok Resistance TubesSpri XerdiscSpri Very Light TubesSpri Light TubesSpri Foam RollersSpri Medium TubesSpri Body Bar

FitAbs Plus
Ab RevolutionizerStamina AB Hyper Extension BenchThane AB-DOer ProAb LoungerYukon Ab Crunch Machine

Phoenix BenchWAI Yoga Ball Kit 151Precor StretchTrainer

Butt BlasterPilates Magic CircleYoga & Pilates Circle

The Firm - Hips, Thighs And Abs (dvd, 2004)

The Firm - Hips, Thighs And Abs (dvd, 2004)

Pam Cauthen Meriwether leads you towards toned hips, thighs, and abs in this fun workout, brought to you by the popular FIRM series. Divided into two ...

The Firm-hips, Thighs And Abs & Express Cardio 2 Disc

The Firm-hips, Thighs And Abs & Express Cardio 2 Disc

The Firm - Hips, Thighs And Abs - Dvd

The Firm - Hips, Thighs And Abs - Dvd

6 Second Abs Rock Hard Abs Vhs Tape Sealed

6 Second Abs Rock Hard Abs Vhs Tape Sealed

Here is 6 Second Abs Rock Hard Abs VHS tape New Sealed. There is some condition issues with the plastic. Shipping is FREE. Returns are accepted as lon...

The Firm Body Sculpting System 2 (dvd Set) 4 Pack Workouts Cardio Abs Burn

The Firm Body Sculpting System 2 (dvd Set) 4 Pack Workouts Cardio Abs Burn

The Firm fitness program presents a collection of workouts from its second Body Sculpting System. MAXIMUM CARDIO BURN offers a stimulating mix of step...

6 Six Second Abs Advanced Abdominal Exercise Workout Machine Brand In Box

6 Six Second Abs Advanced Abdominal Exercise Workout Machine Brand In Box

6 Second Abs Advanced Program Brand new in box This is brand new and the dvd is still sealed as is the Ab Machine. This is the advanced program that i...

Vintage Original Photograph from the Historical Archive of the Chicago Tribune, showing TV Program SECOND NOAH. The entire scanned area is 7.3 x 9.1. ...
Hip Hop Abs - Workout Program Dvd Set - Factory Sealed

Hip Hop Abs - Workout Program Dvd Set - Factory Sealed

Original BEACHBODY release. Not a China/Hong Kong bootleg that you see for sale by others.3 DVD Set You’ll get 4 routines (plus bonus routines ) to ...

Hip Hop Abs - Level 2 Dvd Set - 3 Workout Program - Factory Sealed

Hip Hop Abs - Level 2 Dvd Set - 3 Workout Program - Factory Sealed

Authentic. Don't get stuck with a low quality China bootleg. Buy an original and never have to worry about a lawsuit.Fat Burning Cardio This is not yo...

Seven Second Self Defense System With Bonus Books: The World s Most Effective Self Defense Program