9Lives Plus Care Real Tuna and Egg Flavors Cat Food

9 Lives Plus Care Helps Maintain Urinary Tract Health But Look At The Ingredients First!

Oct 10, 2004

Pros:High protein, no bad smell.

Cons:Contains preservatives (BHA), fillers, artificial colors and artificial flavors!

The Bottom Line: Too many fillers, preservatives and artificial colors and flavors....avoid it if possible!

Being the owner of a picky cat, I'm always on the lookout for new, different and healthy food for Patches especially since he came from an abused home and there is no telling what he was fed there. He came to me malnourished and I must say he has flourished in this past year. I decided to give 9 Lives Plus Care Grilled Tuna & Egg Flavor a try with Patches. Usually Patches only picks at dry cat food and I wanted to find one or two that he actually likes. 9 Lives Plus Care Grilled Tuna & Egg Flavor was accepted on the higher end of eating and enjoying food by Patches. I bought this without reading the ingredient label and thought I was buying a healthy food...wrong!

9 Lives Plus Care Grilled Tuna & Egg Flavor

This food is uniquely designed to help maintain your kitty's urinary tract system. This is sometimes a problem with older cats leading to kidney failure. I decided that we would try this food on Patches to try and avoid this problem in later life after all I thought I was buying a healthy product (more on this below). It has both egg and tuna flavors which Patches enjoyed. When this food is served he actually sits and eats 9 Lives Plus Care Grilled Tuna & Egg Flavor for awhile instead of the regular walk over, sniff, look back up at me with an expression as to say "you expect me to eat this?" and then walk away. However, because of the combination of ingredients, I won't be adding this to his regular diet.

9 Lives Plus Care Grilled Tuna & Egg Flavor is a hard and crunchy cat food. It comes in two shapes and colors. One shape is a small fish (tuna?) and is a dark reddish brown color. The other is a light caramel color and is a small oval size. Patches did not have any trouble eating this food. He does better with cat food that comes in the smaller sizes when it comes to hard food but prefers moist or canned cat food.

Product Feeding Advice/Label Warnings

Feeding instructions recommended are as follows for adult cats:

3-6 lbs: 1/4 to 2/3 cup
6-9 lbs: 2/3 to 1 cup
9-12 lbs: 1 to 1 1/3 cup
12 lb : 1 1/3 cup plus 1/3 cup for each additional 3 lbs. over 12 lbs.

Label states to not feed this food along with any other kind of cat food. Since it is uniquely formulated to reduce the urinary pH. The label states that mixing this food with another cat food could cause the product to not work effectively. It is also not recommended for pregnant, nursing or kittens under one year of age.

Nutritional Information

Ingredients

Ground Yellow corn, poultry by product meal, corn gluten meal, ground wheat, poultry fat (preserved with BHA), chicken broth, meat and bone meal, animal digest, calcium carbonate, phosphoric acid, potassium chloride, salt, yeast culture, choline chloride, titanium dioxide, tuna meal, taurine, dl-methionine, minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), egg product, vitamins (Vit. E supplement, niacin supplement, vit. A supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, vit. D3 supplement, folic acid, biotin, Vit. B12 supplement), caramel color, yellow 5, yellow 6, BHA (used as preservative), red 40, natural and artificial tuna and egg flavors.

Guaranteed Analysis

Del Monte Pet Products
Division of Del Monte Foods
1075 Progress Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15212

If you have any questions or comments on this product phone Del Monte Pet Products at 1-800-252-7022 weekdays.

My Evaluation

I think the bad ingredients (nutritional value) in this product out-weigh any preventative measure this product might offer in the way of urinary tract balance. It is full of fillers (meal and by products), preservatives (BHA), and also artificial colors and flavors. One thing I might point out is this formula originally contained both BHA and Ethoxyquin as preservatives. The Ethoxyquin has been removed apparently. It was not in my ingredient listing on the box I just purchased. At least 9 Lives did one thing right! My advice if your cat has high pH and urinary tract heath problems is to see your vet for a prescribed diet. This one doesn't sound very healthy to me. I give 9 Lives Plus Care Grilled Tuna & Egg Flavor 2 Stars.

© 2004 Birdfeather

9Lives Prime Entree with Real Tuna & Shrimp

9Lives Prime Entree with Real Tuna & Shrimp

9 Lives Prime Entree with Real Tuna and Shrimp provides complete and balanced nutrition for growth and maintenance. The great meaty taste of 9Lives Pr...
Pet360.com

9 Lives Plus Care Formula Dry Cat Food, Adult, Grilled Tuna And Egg Flavors,

9 Lives Plus Care Formula Dry Cat Food, Adult, Grilled Tuna And Egg Flavors,

Listing Payment Shipping Handling Returns Exchanges Store Contact Payment We want to ensure that all of our buyers are offered all the benefits that e...

9 Lives Real Flaked Tuna and Cheese Bits in Sauce Canned Cat Food

9 Lives Real Flaked Tuna and Cheese Bits in Sauce Canned Cat Food

Perk up your pet with 9Lives® Real Flaked Tuna & Cheese Bits In Sauce cat food. This delicious meal features real flaked tuna and tangy cheese

9 Lives Real Flaked Tuna in Sauce Canned Cat Food - Must Spend $15

9 Lives Real Flaked Tuna in Sauce Canned Cat Food - Must Spend $15

9Lives® Real Flaked Tuna In Sauce cat food combines hearty flakes of tender tuna and a tasty sauce to make a hearty meal that will have your cat

9Lives Tuna Select Flaked Tuna in Sauce Canned Cat Food

9Lives Tuna Select Flaked Tuna in Sauce Canned Cat Food

Cats and fish get along like peanut butter and jelly! Thats why 9Lives is providing a scrumptious, tuna meal with 9Lives Tuna Select Flaked Tuna in Sa...
PetFoodDirect
9 Lives Real Flaked Tuna and Egg Bits in Sauce Canned Cat Food

9 Lives Real Flaked Tuna and Egg Bits in Sauce Canned Cat Food

Perk up your pet with 9Lives® Real Flaked Tuna & Egg Bits In Sauce cat food. It's packed with tuna and egg smothered in sauce, and it has

9 Lives Prime Entree Tuna and Shrimp Canned Cat Food

9 Lives Prime Entree Tuna and Shrimp Canned Cat Food

Take your cat to the coast with 9Lives® Prime Entrée With Real Tuna & Shrimp cat food. The tastes of hearty tuna and decadent shrimp make this
PetFlow

Del Monte Foods - Pet Food 5.5 oz. Tuna in Sauce 9Lives Canned Cat Food - 24 Packages Multicolor - 0863-5054

Shop for Food from Hayneedle.com! If they could pull fish right out of the water themselves you know that they would, so save them the trouble with De...
Hayneedle

Hayneedle

9 Lives Chicken and Tuna Dinner Canned Cat Food - Must Spend $15

9 Lives Chicken and Tuna Dinner Canned Cat Food - Must Spend $15

Take your cat to the coast! Real chicken paired up with tuna make this cat food a meal to remember. Plus, with all the nutrition your cat needs for a