Cute Children's Book Introduces the Fruits of the Spirit

Apr 4, 2008

Pros:Easy to Read, Rhymes, Cute Illustrations, Introduced the fruits of the spirit

Cons:It might be better if more scriptures were included that discussed the fruits.

The Bottom Line: This simple book will introduce the fruits of the spirit to your child in a fun and entertaining way.

As a parent, it is very important to me that I read to my little boy frequently to build his vocabulary and cognitive skills. And as a Christian, it is even more crucial that I introduce Biblical stories to him and teach him Christian values. Therefore, I like to find good quality and meaningful Bible based books for him. I purchased 9 Fruits Alive - Discover the Fruits of the Spirit on sale and am very pleased with the book. I give the book an A and highly recommend it.

*What I like about the book*

-- The book is based on Galatians 5: 22-23. It explains this scripture in simple words, easy for the child to understand. Each page (technically two pages together) discusses one fruit of the spirit. It tries to apply it to the child's life.

For example, it says, "Love is a fruit that is good for your heart. Giving dad hugs is a good place to start The illustration then shows a little boy giving his dad a hug.

It also says, "Peace is meant for you to share, with friends who are fighting and need some care." Corresponding to it is a picture of children fighting over baseball and a boy trying to help them.

For patience the book reads, "Patience is a fruit you can bring outside, to have while you wait for your turn on the slide." It then shows children patiently waiting for the slide.

The book does this for all of the fruits of the spirit - that leaves joy, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

The book ends with "Fruit doesn't just grow on a tree. It also grows in you and me. When you love God with all your heart His Spirit makes the growing start!"

-- For each fruit of the spirit, there is a tangible little plastic fruit in the book that the child can feel. This makes this book a little more unique that others. For example, for love there's a lime, for peace there's a pineapple, etc. Children love to touch and this helps keep them entertained.

-- The book rhymes. For example, one part reads "Kindness is sharing your best bouncy ball, or helping someone up after they fall.

--The illustrations are very colorful and detailed. Your little one might enjoy looking at the scenery. It is a good book to play "I spy" with.

--The pages are very thick. This means your little one won't be able to shred or eat it.

*What I don't like about the book*

-- It might be better if it included more scriptures that emphasize each fruit of the spirit.

Overall, this book is an excellent way to introduce the fruits of the spirit to your child. It makes a great baby shower gift, or gift for child's 1st or 2nd birthday. I highly recommend this book for your collection!