9 to 5 (DVD, 2009, Spa Cash; Widescreen) Reviews

9 to 5 (DVD, 2009, Spa Cash; Widescreen)

+$1.99 shipping Family Video

Nine to Five - quotes in movies W/O

Aug 10, 2004 (Updated Aug 16, 2004)

Pros:Elizabeth Wilson, Parton, Tomlin

Cons:dream sequences

The Bottom Line: _____________

“I've got a gun out there in my purse. Up until now I've been forgiving and forgetting because of the way I was brought up, but I'll tell you one thing. If you say another word about me or make another indecent proposal, I'm gonna get that gun of mine and I'm gonna change you from a rooster to a hen with one shot. And don't think I can't do it. “ …. ****

Well, honey, nothing will get a mans attention faster than threatening his nether regions, and Franklin Hart was a man that deserved to have his nethers threatened. Back before sexual harassment became a common word in the workplace, men like Franklin Hart made a poor working girls life pure Hell.

9 to 5 was the chick flick to end all chick flicks, running a close race with Glenn Close’s “Fatal Attraction”. Don’t tick the ladies off, especially the ladies that keep your face shiny at the office and make you look good to the visiting hierarchy.

Jane Fonda plays Judy Bernly, newly divorced and not a working gal by trade. She takes a job in the secretarial pool of the company under Violet Newstead, Lily Tomlin. Violet sets her straight from day one, Doralee Rhodes (Dolly Parton), the personal secretary to Frankling Hart (Dabney Coleman), is doing more than taking dictation from him.

Of course this is all rumor started mainly by Hart himself. His right hand man … err …. woman is Roz Keith (Elizabeth Wilson), one person you want to stay on the good side of, she is Hart’s eyes and ears around the office.

When things go just about as wacky as they can in the office, the gals take Hart hostage, tying him up in a most ingenious way, in his own home. And things take off from there.

Having served my time behind the secretarial desk, I took sides with the ladies in the movie. There were many times, back in the old days when men were just pigs, that I would have gladly adopted their methods. Watching the movie today, it is just humorous and for the most part unbelievable. But back then …… ahhhh, the dreams.

Speaking of dreams, the dream sequences were probably the one part of the movie I didn’t care for. There was enough going on, I just felt the dreams weren’t necessary, but that is my own personal opinion.

I had a tough time picking a favorite among the ladies in the movie. Of course Parton really brought a lot of punch to the movie, her one-liners were priceless. Lily Tomlin made me laugh so hard several times that I cried, but I think my favorite was Elizabeth Wilson, who played Hart’s sidekick, Roz Keith. Funny, funny, funny.

Fonda was just part of the background, although her part was a big one, I’m sticking with Roz all the way. Of course, Dabney Coleman, I don’t know, I think that is his natural self. I don’t think he was acting at all. Another of those guys you love to hate.

9 to 5 won the People’s Choice Awards for favorite motion picture song, in 1981. It was nominated for several other awards but did not win.

Actor’s delivery and interaction made the entire movie. Their timing was great, one-liners were dropping right and left, and nothing beats Coleman strapped in that flying rig hanging from his own bedroom ceiling.

Thanks,
Susi

**** Doralee Rhodes to Franklin Hart, from the movie, not my own words.

This is part of the Quotes That Make The Movies Write-off, sponsored by dbcint See his page for more info.

9 TO 5 is the much-loved revenge comedy about three female office workers (the terrific trio of Lily Tomlin, Jane Fonda, and Dolly Parton) in a giant ...

9 TO 5 is the much-loved revenge comedy about three female office workers the terrific trio of Lily Tomlin Jane Fonda and Dolly Parton in a giant corp...
Family Video