Clear Gel By Almay (2.2oz/65ml)

Lives up to its advertising!

Feb 28, 2009 (Updated Feb 28, 2009)

Pros:Clear, odorless, non-staining, no irritation. Keeps me dry and non-stinky.

Cons:Oojy cold, clammy, slimy feel.

The Bottom Line: If you are OK with aluminum-based products, this is pretty darned good stuff. The best fragrance-free deoderant I have found so far. It really works!

I used Secret Unscented deoderant for years. Then they changed the formula and gave it a hint of "eau de portapotty" a while back, and I have been hunting for a new deoderant ever since.

My skin is very sensitive, so many anti-perspirants and deoderants leave my underarms raw and irritated. And I have asthma and some fragrance allergies, so the perfumy products can leave me wheezing, with swollen eyes, and tears and snot streaming down my face.

About three months ago, I purchased Almay Clear Gel Fragrance-Free Anti-Perspirant and Deoderant. It definately lives up to its labeling.

A sniff-test reveals a slight scent, almost like rubbing alcohol, but not so strong or heavy. Just a bare hint, rather fresh smelling. It quickly disperses on application.

The product is completely clear on the skin, and has left no detectable residue on my clothing. I also have found no discoloration, staining, or bleaching of my clothing.

It does feel cold, clammy, and sticky when applied. On hot days, it feels like my armpits are glued shut. I have found it useful to dust a little face powder over it when I wear sleeveless clothing.

I'm not terribly thrilled that the active ingredient, Aluminum Zirconium Tetrachlorohydrex Gly (17%), is an aluminium compound. Aluminum compounds have been implicated in some human health problems. But it does reduce my sweating and body odor. When I wear boots, I even put a little on the bottoms of my feet, and it helps control "evil sneaker stench" immensely!

After three months of use, the Almay hypoallergenic gel has caused no irritation or redness.

Another thing I like about this Amay produuct is that a little goes a long way. It goes on so smoothly that I don't need much to get even coverage. It does take practice, though, as it is kind of slimy and goopy, and can shoot out of the container when you pull off the cap. Go eaaaaaassssyyyy with the push-up dial thingie to get more, because it can splurt out and get all over if you are not careful.

Like other aluminum compounds used in deoderants, it acts by clogging pores, so the sweat can't get out. Hmmmm, now I'm thinking all the aluminum-based products I've used over the years may have something to do with the armpit zits and cysts I've had. I never knew the anti-persperants work by putting itty-bitty "corks" in your pores!(duhhhh)

The stuff also is hygroscopic, as in "water absorbing," so it also absorbs the sweat that does get out. Thus, by preventing the sweat in the first place, it prevents odor because there is nothing for the odor-causing bacteria to grow in.

The inactive ingredients are:
Water, hydrating is good!
Cyclopentasiloxane, a silicone fluid emollient (skin softener) which is used in a lot of cosmetics.
Dimethicone, a silicone-based organic polymer used in things from contact lenses to heat-resistant tiles to shampoos.
Dipropylene Glycol, a plasticizer which controls viscosity and is pretty much non-toxic and almost odorless.
Glycerin, a colorless, odorless, viscous sugar alcohol
PEG 12 Dimethicone Crosspolymer, an emulsifier and stabilizer also used to control viscosity.
PEG/PPG 18/18 Dimethicone and PEG/PPG 19/19 Dimethicone, which are, I believe, used to kind of "time" the release of the active ingredient.

All in all, it seems less toxic than some of the other stuff I subject my body to on a regular basis. And when I use it, I don't stink.

Another thing I like about the fragrance-free deodorants is that when I do wear a perfume - I can tolerate a few, as well as some of the natural plant oil fragrances - they do not clash. the Almay is completely undetectible by me withing minutes after applying, so there is no clash at all with any of my fragrances.

Good job, Almay!

Almay A/p & Deodorant Clear Gel, Powder 2.25 Oz:10 Pack

Almay A/p & Deodorant Clear Gel, Powder 2.25 Oz:10 Pack

Almay Anti-Perspirant Deodorant, Clear Gel, Powder Fresh - 2.25 OZ. : 10 packs MANUFACTURER: REVLON INC. PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: Almay Anti-Perspirant De...

Almay 15 Minute Facial 3.4 Oz / 100ml

Almay 15 Minute Facial 3.4 Oz / 100ml

Almay new! 15 minute facial. All the benefits of a spa facial in minutes. 3.4 oz. / 100ml. New and sealed in plastic.

2 Pack Almay Hypoallergenic Clear Gel Fragrance Free Deodorant For Unisex 2.25oz

Perfume Worldwide - Ebay Visit our eBay Store for more available sizes and other selections Call Toll Free : 1-866-714-6200 Hypoallergenic Clear Gel F...

Almay Toner 2 With Cucumber 150ml/5.07oz - Dry Skin Brand

Almay Toner 2 With Cucumber 150ml/5.07oz - Dry Skin Brand

about us contact us shipping payment returns/exchanges terms conditions store newsletter sign up store feedback add to my favorite sellers Fragrance W...

Almay Clear Complexion Powder - Light

Almay Clear Complexion Powder - Light

Find cosmetics at Target.com! Blemisheal technology contains salicylic acid to heal and conceal blemishes for a shine-free and even complexion. Minera...

Almay Hypoallergenic Clear Gel Deodorant Fragrance Free Allergy Tested 2.25 Oz

Almay Hypoallergenic Clear Gel Deodorant Fragrance Free Allergy Tested 2.25 Oz

ALMAY Hypoallergenic CLEAR Gel - Fragrance FREE Dermatologist and Allergy Tested Net wt 2.25 Oz / 63 g 100% BRAND NEW The gentle formula of Almay Clea...

Almay Smart Shade Smart Balance Skin Balancing Pressed Powder, 100 Light, 0.2 oz

Almay Smart Shade Smart Balance Skin Balancing Pressed Powder is a face powder with breakthrough technology that combines shade-sensing pigments that ...

Lot Of 6 Almay Clear Gel Deodorant Fragrance Free 2.25 Oz.

Lot Of 6 Almay Clear Gel Deodorant Fragrance Free 2.25 Oz.

biiwholesale Store LOT OF 6 ALMAY CLEAR GEL DEODORANT FRAGRANCE FREE 2.25 OZ. Prev Stop Play Next I HAVE FOR SALE HERE LOT OF 6 BRAND NEW ALMAY CLEAR ...

Almay Roll-On Antiperspirant & Deodorant, Unscented - 1.5 fl oz

Almay Roll-On Antiperspirant & Deodorant, Unscented - 1.5 fl oz

Product Details Almay Roll-on, Anti-perspirant & Deodorant, Fragrance Free, 1.5-ounce Bottle Provides all day wetness protection for sensitive skin. C...
Almay Hypoallergenic Clear Gel Fragrance Free Deodorant 2.25 Oz Deodorant

Almay Hypoallergenic Clear Gel Fragrance Free Deodorant 2.25 Oz Deodorant

Almay U-BB-1116 Almay U-BB-1116 Hypoallergenic Clear Gel Fragrance Free Deodorant - 2.25 oz - Deodorant Description Gentle formula provides outstandin...