ASUS 10.1" (160 GB, Atom, 1.66 GHz, 1 GB) Notebook

Initial defect, but all's well that ends well

Dec 20, 2009
  • User Rating: Very Good

• Quality of Tech Support:

Pros:Lightweight, long battery life, user-friendly keyboard

Cons:Touchpad and keyboard quickly inoperable, unhelpful "help" feature on website and customer service

The Bottom Line: Assuming the touchpad/keyboard defect we experienced initially was unusual, I would recommend this as a lightweight, functional, attractive netbook.

After considerable research, we purchased the Eee PC 1005HA in blue. Upon receiving, we followed the initial setup instructions and all seemed to go well.

However, at next usage, the touchpad and keyboard didn't work at all. We tried everything, used our desktop to search the help features and email customer service! But nothing helped, because we couldn't navigate anything on the netbook and because we don't have an external optical drive for using the support DVD or reinstalling drivers.

Finally, we contacted technical service by phone and were authorized to return the product (at our expense!). While the Asus website and the email assistance had been entirely unhelpful, the technical assistance by phone was. Our repaired netbook (with new component parts) was returned approximately two weeks, and has been working fine since.

This is a compact, lightweight netbook that travels easily. We purchased it with the longest possible battery life (6 cell=10 hours), and are glad we paid the additional cost. It's our first non-desktop computer. With the exception of the defect described above, setup was straightforward, navigating the features has been relatively easy, and speed is quite acceptable. The user's manual could have been more helpful, but perhaps we wanted more info because this was our first netbook.

In terms of features ... It came with a free Microsoft Office trial, which was handy. It has a webcam that works reasonably well and is simple to use. The screen display is easy on the eye, and visually seems bigger than its compact 10 inches. Similarly, it has been easier to transition back and forth between a standard keyboard and the netbook keyboard - not as tiny as I anticipated. While others have complained that its exterior is a magnet for fingerprints, we haven't had major problems with that (or maybe it's just not a big issue for us).

Overall, I would probably still recommend this product, despite our initial problems. However, I would suggest that buyers fully test it out quickly and that Asus consider reimbursing customers for shipping costs when defects have been verified.

Operating System: Windows
Processor: Other
Processor speed: Don''t Know
Screen Size: 10 inches
RAM: 128
Hard Drive (GB): Under 4

Transformer Book T100TA-C1-GR, Intel Atom Z3740 1.86 GHz, 2GB, 64GB, 10.1-Inch, 64GB Laptop (Gray)

Intel Atom Z3740 1.86 GHz 2 GB DDR3 64 GB Solid-State Drive 10.1-Inch Screen 11-hour battery life
ASUS Transformer Book T100TA-C1-GR(S) 10.1 Detachable 2-in-1 Touchscreen Laptop, 64GB (Grey)

Product Details Preinstalled Full License MS Office Home & Student 2013. Full Version Win 8.1. Includes Keyboard Dock with USB 3.0 port. Intel Quad Co...
Asus - Zenbook Prime 13.3 IPS Ultrabook Computer, Intel Core i7-3517U 1.9GHz, 4GB DDR3 RA

Asus Zenbook Prime 13.3 IPS Ultrabook Computer, Intel Core i7-3517U 1.9GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD + 24GB SSD, Windows 8 64-Bit, Silver The Asus 13.3...
Adorama

ASUS X501A-WH01 15.6 Notebook Intel Celeron B820(1.7GHz), 2GB DDR3, 320GB HDD, WebCam, HDMI, Windows 8

Model : ASUS X501A-WH01 Processor : Intel Celeron Dual-Core Sandy Bridge B820 @1.7GHz Memory (RAM) : 2GB DDR3 Primary Hard Drive : 320GB Video Card : ...
ASUS X501A-HPD121H Laptop Computer - Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor 2.4GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, 15.6 in. Display, Windows 8

ASUS X501A-HPD121H Laptop Computer - Intel Pentium B980 2.4GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, 15.6 in. Display, Windows 8 64-bit (RB-X501A-HPD121H) (Refurbishe...
ASUS 15.6  Red 1.8Ghz 4GB 500GB Laptop Computer - K550CA-DH31T-RD

ASUS 15.6 Red 1.8Ghz 4GB 500GB Laptop Computer - K550CA-DH31T-RD

Intel Core i3-3217U 1.8GHz/ 4GB DDR3 System Memory/ Intel GMA HD Graphics/ 500GB HDD/ 15.6 1366x768 LED Matte Touchscreen Display/ Red Finish
Abt Electronics

Asus - ASUS K550LA Intel Core i7 4500U 1.80GHz, 6GB Memory, 750GB HDD, 15.6 H, 16 Screen

ASUS K550LA 15.6' Touch Notebook Say hello to the new ASUS K550LA Notebook. The ASUS K550LA Notebook not only has a 15.6' LED, glossy screen but it al...
TigerDirect.com

ASUS 15.6 1.8Ghz 500GB Laptop Computer - K550CADH31T

ASUS 15.6 1.8Ghz 500GB Laptop Computer - K550CADH31T

Intel Core i3-3217U 1.8GHz/ 4GB DDR3 System Memory/ Intel GMA HD Graphics/ 500GB HDD/ 15.6 1366x768 LED Matte Touchscreen Display/ Dark Grey Finish
Abt Electronics