AT&T U-verse

Epinions Product Rating: OK

very happy upgrading from DSL to U-verse

Aug 30, 2010 (Updated Aug 5, 2011)

• Sound:
  • Picture Quality:
  • Basic Channel Selection:
  • Customer Service:

Pros:incredible speed, easy installation

Cons:unable to change IP address, awkward consumer type yahoo email interface

The Bottom Line: Incredible speed but I can't change my IP address anymore

DSL SLOWED DOWN

We were early adopters of DSL with AT&T -- I had it installed in March 1999 when the company was still called Pacbell. What a marvelous thing it was at the time, compared to dial-up. For the last 11 years I have stayed with the company with the same Alcatel modem, but I changed my router and added  a switcher to get more computers on the LAN network.

Within the last couple years especially, I felt that DSL speeds had deteriorated, especially around 4-8pm. Since AT&T was offering U-verse fttn fiber for less than I was paying for DSL and phone service, plus throwing in cable, I decided to give it a go, and I'm sure glad I did. The changeover has not been entirely without a downside, but for internet speed and performance, Uverse is unbeatable -- again, with some minor caveats.

The primary purpose of getting U-verse for us was to get much faster internet speeds. We have little interest in cable TV, but we had to take the service because without that there would be no free installation and $200 rebate.

SPEED TESTING

I used www.speedtest.net to measure download and upload speeds before with DSL and after with U-verse FTTN fiber.

Before with DSL, download speeds were typically in the .35 to .5 mbs range, sometimes even as low as .15 to .18 download (that's 3 times faster than an old 56K modem, which is terrible.) Only once did I read the speed it's supposed to be at, 1 mbs. Upload speeds were typically about .15 to .22 tops. We are located about 3/4 mile from the nearest AT&T switching terminal center.

In the AT&T sales office we had a choice of going for 6mbs 12mbs or 18mbs speeds (that's megabytes per second.) We chose 12 mbs.

After the install download speeds consistently read 10-11 mbs, and upload is always in excess of 1.5mbs. That's 20-25 times faster than my old DSL service. Needless to say, we are extremely pleased. The download and upload speeds of this new service are nothing short of phenomenal. There is very little waiting even for large video and audio files. You can play full rez video in real time.

VERY HELPFUL TECHNICAL PEOPLE

The AT&T tech was super helpful and completed the install plus one cable TV hookup within 4 hours. He disconnected our old modem and linksys router and replaced them with one device, but kept our switcher. The adjustments to keep my existing 3 desktops online plus all our laptops in the house were minimal, but the AT&T tech made sure they were all working. That part was surprisingly easy.

I had read that the AT&T fiber optic cable comes up to a node (a box in the neighborhood) and then goes by standard copper wire phone lines to our house from the node. I have learned location of the node box, and I can see it in someone's front yard near an intersection, which is about 3-400 feet from our house. The maximum range from fiber node to residence can be up to 3000 feet, the tech said.

The standard definition cable TV service is also excellent, with hundreds of channels. I had originally planned on cancelling it but I think we'll keep it, not for myself but to help my kids get lower grades in school.

GLITCHES AND ISSUES

One of the glitches was that once the new service was put in, I got automatic voicemail on my line which I had not had before. I had to go online and disable the voicemail, since I take messages with an answering machine.

The only other downside -- and it is a big one, if you are, for example, a craigslist entrepreneur with the least bit of ambition -- is that you cannot easily change your IP address. While uverse internet is officially a "dynamic IP" address, in practice it is not, as I have learned that the Uverse "lease" from the gateway (the new name for at&t's "modem" in your house) expires once every 8 weeks. It would be only at that time that one would have any hope of changing one's IP address. Thus far I have found it impossible to change my IP address -- something that was easy with the old DSL.

The only alternative is to change one's classified site to backpage.com, which does have classified sites all over the country and has a strong presence in many cities.

Another problem I have had with uverse and AT&T is the email service. The Yahoo interface tries very hard to shove a consumer mentality down your throat, and logging into email, setting up the 10 available sub accounts, and trying to forward emails may take you a couple hours -- or maybe many more -- to figure out. The Yahoo interface is way more complicated and laden with advertising than it needs to be. The log in procedure for email is incredibly annoying.

CONCLUSION

Despite these caveats, the speed and performance of Uverse has been very reliable and continues to be blazing fast, with multiple internet video streams available in our house simultaneously. Amazing.

Amount Paid (US$): 137/mo

At&t U-verse Standard Black Remote Control W/ Instructions S10-s4

At&t U-verse Standard Black Remote Control W/ Instructions S10-s4

AT T U-verse Standard Black Remote Control With Instruction Book Model: S10-S4 BRAND NEW! - FREE SHIPPING!Free shipping to lower 48 states only. Addit...
Replacement Compatible with AT&T U-Verse Broadband 12V 7.5Ah Telecom Battery

Replacement Compatible with AT&T U-Verse Broadband 12V 7.5Ah Telecom Battery

AJC Brand Replacement AT&T U-Verse Broadband Telecom Battery Voltage: 12V (12 Volts) Capacity: 7.5Ah (7500mAh) Terminals: F1 Chemistry: Sealed Lead Ac...
Cingular At&t U-verse Remote Uverse Remote Control S10-s1 4 Device

Cingular At&t U-verse Remote Uverse Remote Control S10-s1 4 Device

Item Description:YOU ARE BUYING A USED AT T U VERSE REMOTE CONTROL The AT T U-verse TV Standard Remote Control puts you in command of your entertainme...

At&t U-verse Motorola Nvg510 Wireless Modem Replacement Ac Adapter Wa-18g12u

At&t U-verse Motorola Nvg510 Wireless Modem Replacement Ac Adapter Wa-18g12u

***This AC Adapter is compatible AT T U-verse Motorola NVG510! Buy with confidence, because this is a genuine AC Adapter used by Seagate and Western D...

AT&T U-Verse Broadband 12V 7.5Ah Telecom Battery - AGM - VRLA Battery: AJC Brand Replacement

2 At&t U-verse Remote Controls Black Standard Ir Use For Digital Tv Att Receiver

This eBay listing is for (2) At t U-verse Remotes that are c ompatible with Motorola VIP1200 HD Digital Cable Boxes.

At&t Replacement U-verse Black Universal Ir Remote Control For Digital Tv Uverse

At t U-Verse Remote Control. Compatible with Motorola VIP1200 HD Digital Cable Box.

At&t U-verse Motorola Nvg510 Wireless Modem Replacement Ac Adapter S018ku1200150

At&t Att U-verse Universal Ir Remote Control With Base For Digital Tv Cable Box

At&t Att U-verse Universal Ir Remote Control With Base For Digital Tv Cable Box

Kit Includes:-Remote -Base -Charger -USB Cable Free Shipping!

Base Station Wall Power Charger For At&t U-verse Tv Universal Remote Control

Base Station Wall Power Charger For At&t U-verse Tv Universal Remote Control

FREE SHIPPING ON CONTINENTAL US ONLY. NO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING. WE DO NOT SHIP TO US PROTECTORATES. CUSTOMER SERVICE:WE OFFER CUSTOMER SERVICE FROM M...