AVEDA : Madder Root Color Conditioner 250ml/8.5oz (04645374304) Reviews

AVEDA : Madder Root Color Conditioner 250ml/8.5oz (04645374304)

Free Shipping Nordstrom

Turns my honey colored hair madder red—yikes!

Feb 10, 2010

Pros:Conditioned fine hair, Kept darker warm lights in hair longer

Cons:At my age bluish copper red hair just doesn't work.

The Bottom Line: Aveda's Madder Root Color Conditioner enriches auburn tones, conditions fine hair and lasts several washings; it's not for use in light-colored hair no matter what your stylist recommends.

My silver and gold hair naturally shimmers in the sunlight. It has some intriguing highlights that get more interesting when my stylist magically turns my silver into copper, honey and warm auburn.  This combination of low and high lights is difficult to maintain and her suggestion was to use Aveda Madder Root Color Conditioner.

This Aveda product conditions my fine (not really a desirable quality) hair; it treats my scalp and does not strip out the mixed highlights my stylist so carefully and artistically added. This "intensive condition formula rejuvenates and refreshes color leaving hair shiny, silky and manageable."  It does.

The madder root enhances naturally occurring warm auburn/reddish shades. The conditioner itself is surprisingly bright red and can stain hands, showers, and towels. A notation on the squeeze bottle advises, "chemically-treated hair will take color more intensely." It's not recommended for blonde or grey hair. Did my stylist actually read the bottle's information?

I enjoyed the bright red highlights and punk look, but it probably wasn't all that professional and it wasn't my goal.

The warm brown/auburn highlights remained longer in my hair while using this product, but when they began fading it seemed wise to discontinue using this.  My lighter shades (and the artistically untreated silver) were assuming a bold metallic-red or copper color.  This also tends to stain the scalp if you don't rinse thoroughly--I recommend three-to-four minutes.  This comes in an upside-down 8.5-ounce non-tip squeeze bottle.

In all fairness, the Aveda Madder Root Color Conditioner (and the complementary Madder Shampoo) is designed for dark brown and auburn colored hair. Madder root is a natural dye and this will enrich you hair's tones as well as any treated colors but when they warn that treated hair take this faster believe them. Aveda suggests leaving this on two to five minutes--I left it on two minutes.  The red remains in the hair through several shampooings much like henna. Aveda advises against using on light-colored hair but it was my stylist's intention to warm up the darker highlights (it did).  She didn't see what happened to the lighter highlights.

Aveda has a reputation for quality, for not testing on animals, and for using more natural ingredients. This includes wild cherry bark extract, sweet almond shell powder, aloe leaf, and many other interesting ingredients. A full list of ingredients can be found at www.cosmeticsdatabase.com  (Search Aveda Color Enhanced Conditioner Madder Root). As expected, this is considered relatively safe with minimal concerns.

My thoughts.

Aveda has other quality conditioners for fine and color-treated hair that are appropriate for my particular colors (Camomile or Clove).  In the meantime, I currently have Madder Root shampoo and an 8.5-ounce squeeze bottle to give away to anyone with dark hair and auburn highlights. The product is good but this was simply a wrong choice and if your stylist recommends this for your hair I hope your hair is darker than mine.

Free Shipping + 3 Free Beauty Samples! Enriches warm tones in dark and red shades of hair. Madder root helps purify scalp and hair; natural colors hel...
Nordstrom