Aberlour 15 Year Old Sherry Finish, 750ml

Speyside's Aberlour ~ Complex, Balanced, Wonderful

Apr 21, 2004

Pros:A great after dinner dram, well balanced, ~$45 US

Cons:None other than availability

The Bottom Line: This Speyside 15 Year Single Malt is a must-try for any Scotch lover. Well balanced and wonderfully distilled

Founded in 1879 by James Fleming, the Aberlour distillery still stands on the pure spring water that pours forth from the St Drostan’s Well. Aberlour (Mouth of the Lour) is about a 3-hour drive north of Edinburgh and minutes away from the North Sea/North Atlantic Ocean.

The distillery lies in the heart of the Speyside Region, famous for its many whisky distilleries. I am still determining how I am going to visit all my favorite distilleries and be able to drive at the same time. The Glenfiddich, Macallan, and Glenlivet are just minutes away as well as another dozen or so great distilleries.

Aberlour uses untreated, natural spring water. The only other additions are the malted barley (traditionally dried over peat), and yeast for the fermentation. That’s the wonder of Scotch Whisky, it is so simple, yet so complex.

Aberlour then stores the middle portion of their distillation run in oak casks. This 15-year-old scotch is stored in casks that were previously used for sherry. These European oak casks are slightly charred (far less than American bourbon casks) and the whisky is golden amber as a result.

One of my favorite aspects of the OUTSIDE of the bottle is that each bottle boldly states, “Let the Deed Show.” This family motto, given by Robert the Bruce, firmly demands that we all be our own judges of their whisky. Their whisky is a great deed, indeed!

ABELOUR 15 YEAR SINGLE MALT SHERRY WOOD

THE POUR

There is nothing that really set this whisky apart from other single malt whiskies as far as clarity, color, and what I like to call the “whisky glow.” Standing side by side with Johnnie Walker Gold or even the Johnnie Walker Black, the colors are almost identical.

THE NOSE

The nose is sweet, spicy, and flowery at times. I was extremely enticed by the pleasant aroma. Even though this whisky is traditionally created using malted barley heated by peat, there is little of this in the nose. Other Speyside whiskies carry this distinctive aroma more predominately. The sherry casks used for the aging are slightly present and very inviting.

THE TASTE

I think I discovered a favorite here! The first dram, uncut by still water, was wonderful. The aromas were all present in taste. The sweetness balanced the smoky taste superbly. I had to, of course, experiment by adding a little water to “release the flavor” as some might describe the process. The water worked its wonders by allowing me to taste the complexities better, even though I did not “discover” anything I could not taste with my first dram. I actually enjoyed the stronger, neat, whisky sample better because I liked the whisky with more smoky peat taste. This strength was cut by the water.

THE AFTERTASTE

There is nothing, absolutely nothing unpleasant about this whisky from start to finish. The warmth that often spreads through your body was not readily present and only slowly built well after I swallowed the whisky. Going back to the strength of the taste, I would almost desire that the whisky left more of a presence as far as its warming qualities. It is hard to describe, but I guess I prefer a firm handshake from my whisky. Not a burning sensation, but a solid “How are you” as it goes down. This Aberlour is 40% ABV.

OVERALL

Aberlour definitely has a winner here (no pun intended on there many Gold Medals). This is a sweeter whisky than most I purchase, but it has its place among many of the Scotch Whisky greats. There are some that go well with cigars and others that go well with food. This is a great relaxation, after dinner whisky that all should enjoy. There are some whiskies that some beginners should try like Glenfiddich. Aberlour is also a good way for a person that does not appreciate whisky to begin to appreciate the Scottish tradition.

Most comparable Single Malt Scotch Whiskies to Aberlour (that I have had the honor of reviewing)
Aberfeldy 12 Year
Glenfiddich Special Reserve 12 Year

Flexible 5 Year Old Form

Flexible 5 Year Old Form

Store Supply Warehouse offers the Flexible 5 Year Old Child's Mannequin which includes the base. The flexible limbs on these mannequins prevent stretc...
Store Supply Warehouse
Promotional Wood Products Barrel Head - Old Grand-Dad Whiskey Decorative Wall Decor   1308161336

Promotional Wood Products Barrel Head - Old Grand-Dad Whiskey Decorative Wall Decor 1308161336

White oak barrel head is constructed from actual bourbon barrelsChar retained for authenticity High-resolution direct print imageReady to hang Measure...
Bass Pro Shops

Promotional Wood Products Personalized Barrel Head - Old Grand-Dad Whiskey Wall Decor   1308161111

Promotional Wood Products Personalized Barrel Head - Old Grand-Dad Whiskey Wall Decor 1308161111

NOTE: Please specify your personalization wording preference in the Special Messages box, which you will find during the checkout process at the botto...
Bass Pro Shops

Jack Daniel's Old No. 7 Whiskey Logo Black Graphic TShirt

Jack Daniel's Old No. 7 Whiskey Logo Black Graphic TShirt

Wear this officially licensed Jack Daniels Classic Whiskey Logo Black T-Shirt which features the Jack Daniels label and people will know exactly what ...
Berg & Hauck’s Old Time Aromatic Cocktail Bitters - 4 Oz - Tangy Flavor Mixer

Berg & Hauck’s Old Time Aromatic Cocktail Bitters - 4 Oz - Tangy Flavor Mixer

Questions? Give us a call 1-866-235 BEER(2337) ext.140 Berg Hauck’s Old Time Aromatic Cocktail Bitters - 4 oz Item # D2720-NV-118 These aromatic coc...

Personalized Luigi Bormioli Double Old Fashioned Glasses - Set of 4

Personalized Luigi Bormioli Double Old Fashioned Glasses - Set of 4

Our high quality Luigi Bormioli Set of 4 Double Old Fashioned Glasses makes a perfect addition to any bar or entertainment area!Custom etched with th...
Personalization Mall