Acer AL 1716 17" LCD Monitor Reviews

Acer AL 1716 17" LCD Monitor

Acer AL1716 (Silver) (Black, Silver) 17 inch LCD Monitor

Mar 10, 2007 (Updated Mar 10, 2007)

Pros:Remarkable display from a value line product.

Cons:None

The Bottom Line: Great monitor for a nice price.

For Christmas last year I decided that I deserved some kind of treat so I bought this for myself as a present. Well its seriously the best monitor I have had. I feel in love with Acer quality because of my second computer (my first was an IBM 486 if anyone is curious) This monitor not only looks nice on my desk it is crystal clear and makes everything easier to read (my old monitor was also an Acer but it was not a flat screen so that might account for some of this as well).

Getting Started

Comes with everything you will need to get yourself all set-up in less than half an hour. If you already have a computer set-up and this is just a new monitor for you its even easier, I used all my old cables and just removed the old monitor and put this one in its place and reconnected the power cord and the connection to the computer and I was ready to go. However, if this is a new set up don’t worry it comes with everything you will need (both the power cord and cord to go to the computer are included).

So let’s set it up, simply place the screen on the swivel base and snap it in (you will hear a pop and that will let you know its in place). Then connect it to your computer and then attach the power cord and plug it in. Now turn on your computer and you should get a message that new hardware has been detected and asking you if you would like to install that. Select yes and if you have a recent version of your operating system you shouldn’t have to use the disc they have included. If you have an older system you will want to install using your disc. But for most users this is going to be a Plug N Play and you’ll be using it within minutes.

You will then want to get it set up so that you will be happy with its position. It comes on a swivel base and can tilt to your comfort level.

Clarity

Now I have never had a flat panel monitor before but this is so clear that when I first started using it everything seemed so clear and new to me. I literally sat here and went to different sites just to see what they would look like. It was so exciting (I know that sounds silly) but it was such an adventure and everything looked so fresh. Not saying it still doesn’t, but now I am use to it and love the way things look now (even when I’m working).

Images show up crisp, clean and fresh with this monitor. The clarity that this monitor has makes all my previous monitors look out of date. This is considered a value line monitor but you won’t think that when you view it.

Space

One of the main reasons I had always wanted a flat panel monitor is that I have a very small work area and my old monitor took up most of my desk and made me feel very cramped into the space that I have. This takes up about a third of the space my old monitor did so I feel like my desk as opened up a lot. I ended up placing it as far back on my desk as I could and it gives me plenty of room on both sides (its in a corner). It makes me feel like I can finally stretch out and I have been able to do homework at my desk now (my books finally fit on my desk). I am extremely happy that I bought this for myself.

Price

For what I got, I think that the price of $149.00 was well worth it. Yes, this was right before Christmas so there were specials at the time so I did get a little discount but if you’re looking at flat screen monitors and want a good quality one for your money they are well worth a look. I felt this was an excellent price since I had been looking at similar models for literally years and they had always been over $200.00. So for me I feel I got an excellent deal for a great product.

Durability

For me Acer has always meant a quality product, so that was important for me when I was looking at monitors. I wouldn’t ever go with a generic brand or a brand I hadn’t heard of since even at a low price of $149.00 that is still a lot of money for me to spend on something I don’t trust. I’m not going to throw the monitor around or abuse it to test its durability but from normal usage since the end of December until today it has done extremely well.
Specs

For those who like more technical information, here are some specs about the monitor:

Maximum Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75Hz(this is actually what I use and it looks great!!)
Brightness – 300 cd/m
Response Time: 8 ms
Dot Pitch – 0.264 mm
Color Depth – 24-bit (16.2 million colors)
Viewable picture size: 17 inch
Contrast Ratio – 500:1

Also comes with a 3 year limited warranty, which covers parts, labor and backlight. Most likely you will also be able to get a warranty from where you purchase it as well (I got one from Staples when I bought it for 1 year).

On Screen Menu

There is also an on screen menu that you can use to change the brightness, the orientation of the screen, and contrast. I only had to adjust them the first time that I started using the monitor because the brightness was off and everything looked very dark but after that initial set up its doubtful this will be used all that much unless different members of a household have settings that they prefer, but no problem there its simple to change the settings to whatever your preferences are.

Conclusion

I think that this was a great decision on my part to buy myself this for Christmas. I have loved using it since the first moment that I plugged it in. If you are in the market for a computer I do highly recommend buying an Acer flat screen (either this or the 19 inch – which I also looked at but decided the 17 inch would be a better fit into the space that I had available).

Since I am new to writing electronics reviews please leave me feedback on what I can add to improve this review. THANKS!!

Operating System: Windows

Acer Professional 24 Widescreen LCD Monitor (B243PWL Ajbmdrz Black)

Acer Professional 24 Widescreen LCD Monitor (B243PWL Ajbmdrz Black)

Find the working angle that's perfect for you with a monitor that tilts, swivels, pivots and can be adjusted for height. The stand also has a magnetic...

Acer S220Hqlabd 21.5 Led Lcd Monitor - 16:9 - 5 Ms

Acer S220Hqlabd 21.5 Led Lcd Monitor - 16:9 - 5 Ms

×Product Series: S ×Product Model: S220HQLAbd ×Product Name: S220HQLAbd Widescreen LCD Monitor ×Marketing Information: Acer S Series monitors are very...
Acer - S220HQL 22 Class Widescreen LED Backlit Monitor - 1920 x 1080, 16, LCD Monitors 21

Acer S220HQL 22' Class Widescreen LED HD Monitor Bring the power of True HD 1080p quality to your home or office with the Acer S220HQL 22' Class (21.5...
TigerDirect.com

Acer S220HQLAbd Black 21.5 5ms LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor

Acer S220HQLAbd Black 21.5 5ms LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor

D-Sub 1 DVI 1 Stand Adjustments Tilt -5 Degrees 15 Degrees Built-in TV Tuner No Built-in Speakers No HDCP Support Yes Recommended Resolution 1920 x 10...
Newegg.com

Acer Essential 17 LCD Monitor (V176L b, Black)

Acer Essential 17 LCD Monitor (V176L b, Black)

The Acer Essential 17 LCD Monitor (V176L b, Black) is an essential series monitor that features Acer eColor technology for striking visuals and Acer C...

Acer Essential 17 LCD Monitor (V176L bd, Black)

Acer Essential 17 LCD Monitor (V176L bd, Black)

The Acer Essential 17 LCD Monitor, V176L, bd, features Acer eColor technology for striking visuals and Acer ComfyView innovations that help to reduce ...

Acer G246HL Abd 24-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor

Acer G246HL Abd 24-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor

Product Information: Acer G-Series monitors sport a super-slim profile with an X-shaped stand that lets them fit nicely in spaces of any size.Oustandi...
Acer - G246HL Abd Monitor - Screen Size 24,Resolution 1920 x 1080, Contr, LED Backlit Moni

Acer UM.FG6AA.A01 G246HL ABD 24' Class LED Monitor The Acer UM.FG6AA.A01 G246HL ABD 24' Class LED Monitor allows you to view your favorite games and s...
TigerDirect.com