Acer Aspire AS5742Z-4601 15.6" (320 GB, Intel Pentium Dual Core, 2 GHz, 3 GB) Notebook - LXR4P02001 Reviews

1 consumer review

Run Dont Walk Away from Acer

Jul 20, 2011

Pros:The screen and the case is easy to clean.

Cons:The Hard Drive
went out at 6 months old.

The Bottom Line: I would not recommend one of these or any Acer product

I purchased this item for a Christmas present for my self
in December. In June I got an error message saying could not find disk or something on that order. Went on the Internet and did
everything it said to do and nothing worked.

My son took it home with him and looked at it but didn't want
to open it up since it was still under warranty. I called Acer
and got to talk to someone from India for 2 hours. He kept telling me to do all the things that I had already done. But that was fine I was willing to do whatever it took to get the computer running again.

After the more then apologetic tech kept telling me over and over again how valuable my time was and how sorry he was for
taking up so much of it. The problem with the tech was he kept telling me to do the same thing over and over again.  It was
very frustrating and clear he was not going to be able to help
me.

I asked for a manager , he apologized again and told  me he would get me a manager. Finally I got a supervisor or manager or someone that was supposed to help me.

He had me do the hit the same thing that the other guy did, only when it didn't work he said he would not waste anymore of my time .  He told me that the hard drive was out on it and I would have to ship it back to the factory at my cost. That they would have it back to me within 7 working days and they would pay the
cost back.  But that if it was something I had done then they
would have me pay for the repairs before they repaired it.

It had worked the night before and in the morning it didn't. So it wasn't anything  I had done. Was happy to be able to send it back and have it working again. I was not happy with the 30.00 that it cost me to ship it back ups.

I dont feel that I should have paid a penny for getting it repaired. It was under warranty and I did nothing to stop it from working.

They did as they said they would and actually had it back to me in 5 working days.  But alas the problems were not over.
The cursor on it kept jumping around when I would type something. Went to all the settings and tried to fix it. Nothing would work. I would start an email and it would delete itself
letters would jump to the front of the word. All sorts of crazy
things happened when I tried to type with it.

I called Customer Service once again and had a tech tell me
what I should do. After 15 minutes of him telling me what to do and it not working he had me reinstall the entire system.
He said you will lose everything on the computer and it will be just like it was when it came from the factory.

So three hours later the computer was working and the mouse
wasn't jumping all over the place. I am using it now.

Acers techs seem to be all Indian and very hard to understand. They apologize constantly and it really makes it hard to be
firm with them. I guess that is a good thing. If it would have
been an American I really hate to think what I probably would have said to him.

Its hard to say I like anything about this Acer Aspire. Now I am
worried that the hard drive can go out on it in another 6 months.
It has left a very bad taste in my motuth for anything with the Acer name. I  don't like companies that outsource to other countries but I think that they all do it now.  If I find one
that doesn't I will buy from them.

The specs on this Model are: Intel Pentium processor p6100
15.6 inch HD LED LCD
320 GB HDDNplify 802 11b/g/h
6 Cell Li-ion battery
DVD Super Multi DL Drive
Acer
Intel HD Graphics
3 GB DDR3 Memory

I have no idea what any of those specs mean and too old to
learn now.

Acer Aspire V5-471-323b4G50Mass 14in. LED Notebook - Intel Core i3 i3-2365M 1.40 GHz

Acer's Aspire Series offers a diverse range of notebooks with the performance, graphics and communication tools to maximize your digital entertainment...
Office Depot

Acer Aspire S7-191 Ultrabook, Core I5 3317U,4Gb, 128Gb Ssd (Silver) -

Acer Aspire S7-191 Ultrabook, Core I5 3317U,4Gb, 128Gb Ssd (Silver) -

Glass- Radically thin, supremely strong, scratch resistant and easy to clean: White Gorilla® Glass 2 makes the beauty of the 13.3 Aspire S7 Series gl...
DelightStore LTD

+$3,000.00 shipping
Acer Aspire V5-571-323b4G50Makk 15.6in. LED Notebook - Intel Core i3 i3-2365M 1.40 GHz

The full-featured Aspire V5 Series Notebook completes your mobile life style with its impressive performance in an incredibly slim design- and at a pr...
Office Depot

Acer Black 11.6 Aspire One AO756-4411 Laptop PC with Intel Pentium 987 Processor and Windows 8

The Acer 11.6 Aspire One 756 is thin and light yet sports the power and features you need to complete your tasks, enjoy yourself and stay in touch whe...

Acer Aspire M5-581T-6024 Intel Core i5 6GB DDR3 Memory 500GB HDD 20GB

Acer Aspire M5-581T-6024 Intel Core i5 6GB DDR3 Memory 500GB HDD 20GB

Part# NX.M2HAA.011 Color Silver aluminum Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit CPU Type Intel Core i5-3317U 1.7GHz Screen 15.6 Memory Size 6G...
Newegg.com

Acer Aspire V5-561-6607 Intel Core i5 4200U (1.60GHz) 8GB Memory 500GB HDD 15.6&quot Notebook Windows 8.1

Acer Aspire V5-561-6607 Intel Core i5 4200U (1.60GHz) 8GB Memory 500GB HDD 15.6" Notebook Windows 8.1

Buy Acer Aspire V5-561-6607 Intel Core i5 4200U &#401.60GHz&#41 8GB Memory 500GB HDD 15.6&#34 Notebook Windows 8.1 with fast shipping and top...
Newegg.com

Acer Aspire S7 Series 13.3 HD Ultrabook Touchscreen Intel i7-4500U (S7-392-9890)

The celebrated Aspire S7 Series Ultrabook just got even better. Along with its gorgeous yet tough Gorilla Glass 2, the S7 now dons a Full HD touch dis...
BuyDig.com