Acer Aspire AS5742Z-4601 15.6" (320 GB, Intel Pentium Dual Core, 2 GHz, 3 GB) Notebook - LXR4P02001 Reviews

Run Dont Walk Away from Acer

Jul 20, 2011

Pros:The screen and the case is easy to clean.

Cons:The Hard Drive
went out at 6 months old.

The Bottom Line: I would not recommend one of these or any Acer product

I purchased this item for a Christmas present for my self
in December. In June I got an error message saying could not find disk or something on that order. Went on the Internet and did
everything it said to do and nothing worked.

My son took it home with him and looked at it but didn't want
to open it up since it was still under warranty. I called Acer
and got to talk to someone from India for 2 hours. He kept telling me to do all the things that I had already done. But that was fine I was willing to do whatever it took to get the computer running again.

After the more then apologetic tech kept telling me over and over again how valuable my time was and how sorry he was for
taking up so much of it. The problem with the tech was he kept telling me to do the same thing over and over again.  It was
very frustrating and clear he was not going to be able to help
me.

I asked for a manager , he apologized again and told  me he would get me a manager. Finally I got a supervisor or manager or someone that was supposed to help me.

He had me do the hit the same thing that the other guy did, only when it didn't work he said he would not waste anymore of my time .  He told me that the hard drive was out on it and I would have to ship it back to the factory at my cost. That they would have it back to me within 7 working days and they would pay the
cost back.  But that if it was something I had done then they
would have me pay for the repairs before they repaired it.

It had worked the night before and in the morning it didn't. So it wasn't anything  I had done. Was happy to be able to send it back and have it working again. I was not happy with the 30.00 that it cost me to ship it back ups.

I dont feel that I should have paid a penny for getting it repaired. It was under warranty and I did nothing to stop it from working.

They did as they said they would and actually had it back to me in 5 working days.  But alas the problems were not over.
The cursor on it kept jumping around when I would type something. Went to all the settings and tried to fix it. Nothing would work. I would start an email and it would delete itself
letters would jump to the front of the word. All sorts of crazy
things happened when I tried to type with it.

I called Customer Service once again and had a tech tell me
what I should do. After 15 minutes of him telling me what to do and it not working he had me reinstall the entire system.
He said you will lose everything on the computer and it will be just like it was when it came from the factory.

So three hours later the computer was working and the mouse
wasn't jumping all over the place. I am using it now.

Acers techs seem to be all Indian and very hard to understand. They apologize constantly and it really makes it hard to be
firm with them. I guess that is a good thing. If it would have
been an American I really hate to think what I probably would have said to him.

Its hard to say I like anything about this Acer Aspire. Now I am
worried that the hard drive can go out on it in another 6 months.
It has left a very bad taste in my motuth for anything with the Acer name. I  don't like companies that outsource to other countries but I think that they all do it now.  If I find one
that doesn't I will buy from them.

The specs on this Model are: Intel Pentium processor p6100
15.6 inch HD LED LCD
320 GB HDDNplify 802 11b/g/h
6 Cell Li-ion battery
DVD Super Multi DL Drive
Acer
Intel HD Graphics
3 GB DDR3 Memory

I have no idea what any of those specs mean and too old to
learn now.

Acer Aspire V3 V3-771G-9809 Intel Quad-Core i7-3632QM 1TB 2.2 GHz 17.3 LED Notebook

Intel i7-3632QM quad-core 2.2GHz L2 6MB cache processor. 8GB DDR3 SDRAM
Quill.com

Acer - Aspire Laptop - Intel Pentium - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive - Iron Silver

Learn more about the New Windows This Acer Aspire E5731P3ZW laptop's 500GB hard drive offers ample room for file storage. An Intel Pentium processor e...
Best Buy

Acer - Aspire ES1-111M-C40S Intel Celeron 2GB Memory 32GB Internal Stora, Laptops

Acer Aspire ES1-111M-C40S Notebook PC Do more with your computing activities with the Acer Aspire ES1-111M-C40S Notebook PC. Housed with an Intel Cele...
TigerDirect.com

Acer Aspire 11 Touchscreen Notebook - 4GB, 500GB HDD, Intel

Acer Aspire 11 Touchscreen Notebook - 4GB, 500GB HDD, Intel

Productivity to go. You can take that quad-core processor and intuitive display anywhere when you bring along the Acer Aspire 11 touchscreen notebook.
QVC

Acer - Aspire V3-572-78S3 15.6 Notebook Computer, Intel Core i7-4510U 2GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB

Acer Aspire V3-572-78S3 15.6 Notebook Computer, Intel Core i7-4510U 2GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Windows 8.1, Platinum Silver The Acer Aspire V3-572-78S3 1...
Adorama

Acer - Aspire 14 Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i3 - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive - Platinum Silver

This Acer Aspire V3-472P-324J laptop's 14 LED-backlit display supports 10-finger touch-screen navigation to simplify operation. A Bluetooth 4.0 interf...
Best Buy

Acer-Aspire V3-772G-9460 17.3 Inch Intel Core I7-4702Mq 2.2Ghz/ 12Gb

Acer-Aspire V3-772G-9460 17.3 Inch Intel Core I7-4702Mq 2.2Ghz/ 12Gb

Acer-Aspire V3-772G-9460 17.3 Inch Intel Core I7-4702Mq 2.2Ghz/ 12Gb Ddr3/ 1Tb Hdd + 120Gb Ssd/ Blu-Ray Drive + DvdRw/ Usb3.0/
Newegg.com

Acer - Aspire E5-471G-527B Intel Core i5 8GB Memory 500GB HDD 14.0 Noteb, Laptops

Acer Aspire E5-471G-527B Notebook Do more with your computing activities with the Acer Aspire E5-471G-527B Notebook PC. Housed with an Intel Core i5-4...
TigerDirect.com

Acer 13.3 Aspire Windows 8 Laptop i3-2377M 1.5GHz 4GB 500GB S3-391-6448

Acer 13.3 Aspire Windows 8 Laptop i3-2377M 1.5GHz 4GB 500GB S3-391-6448

Color: Champagne Features: Screen Size: 13.3\ Screen Resolution: 1366 x 768 Processor Type: Intel Processor Model: i3-2377M Processor Speed: 1.5GHz R...
Acer Aspire 17 Notebook - 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD,1.7GHz Intel

Acer Aspire 17 Notebook - 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD,1.7GHz Intel

Ready for work, ready for play--with a huge, vibrant display, the Acer Aspire E5-731-P3ZW notebook is ready for anything, anywhere.
QVC