Adams Golf Speedline 9064LS Driver Reviews

Adams Golf Speedline 9064LS Driver

ratings (1 Epinions review)

Adams Speedline 9064LS Driver Review--Worth The Hype

Jun 7, 2011 (Updated Jul 20, 2011)

Pros:Long, Well Balanced,Long, Workable, oh yeah, did I mention that it's long.

Cons:Kind of thuddy feeling at impact. Especially if your swing speed doesn't average 100MPH+.

The Bottom Line: If you crank your driver out there via 100 MPH Swing Speeds, and you need a little more forgiveness and workability, this club is a very good option.

This is the club I wanted to upgrade to. I had already tried the version with the Aldila Rip Alpha Version shaft, and liked the extra distance it offered compared to my then current driver. Unfortunately, as we have currently capped my driver swing speed at 95MPH in order to get the transitional move  between the top of my backswing and the beginning of my downswing to move more fluidly, I couldn't get the shaft to load to it's fullest potential. Consequently, the club felt kind of "thuddy" at impact. Therefor, I waited with baited breath for this club to show up as a demo with the Rip Gamma Version Shaft.
   The Gamma version of the shaft is still a low torque shaft, but has a mid kickpoint and a slightly softer tip vs. The Alpha Version's Mid/High Kickpoint and Stiffer tip; basically it should launch easier and slightly higher. Sadly, theory is one thing and actual performance quite another. Though performance for me was quite good, it wasn't quite the miracle worker I was hoping for.

Distance
--5 Stars

Now the distance on this club is not to be argued with. It is there, and it is there in great abundance. I know people who sport 105 MPH Average Driver Swing Speeds (and this is their warm up speed), and one of them bought this driver this year. Since he is just as much a cheapskate as I am, and he payed full MSRP for it, I figured this just might be the driver for me too.
   He's guilty of tossing knuckleball after knuckleball off the tee box, so when he went with the Gamma Version Shaft in a 10.5*  lofted club he began hitting high arcing drives that carry longer than I care to print here, and we won't even talk about the roll out. For him, this driver is worth 15-20 more yards than his old Cobra LD, and full bore MSRP. Meanwhile, my 95 MPH Swing managed to coax  7-10 yards more from the 9.5* model vs. my '09 Burner. I was impressed, but still didn't think it was worth the full bore MSRP-- especially with that thuddy feel I would be cursed with until I would be allowed to pick up more swing speed. As far as distance alone goes, however, you need know only this--Adams is the official driver of The American Long Drivers Association. It's this very model in an LD Version that has been sweeping the long drive competitions. These clubs are 5 Stars in distance --but you absolutely have to have the right shaft for your swing.

Forgiveness--4 Stars

This is a very forgiving club---for a distance club. Toe hits will lose distance, as will hosel rockets from the heel. Even so, for a distance club, relative to other "more refined" drivers, it is awfully good. Keep in mind, if you need forgiveness as much as distance, you probably need to look at The F11, or even The 4G if you sport a more moderate swing speed.  I felt that this club will forgive those swings that miss "the sweet spot", yet land in "the safe hitting zone", but edge your way out of the center face, and you will see a drop off in both distance and direction.

Feel--4 Stars

Thuddy. It's really as simple as that. Even some of the guys I know who bag this club say the same thing. "It's really kinda thuddy, but I can't argue with the distance gains or the workability. Heck Bernie, this club is almost as forgiving as a game improvement driver. I've learned to live with the thud in order to give up the crud." I've also been told by others who have custom shafted this pup that the thud is actually in the head as well as the Rip Shaft, so more and more are learning to "Live with the thud..." and lovin' the distance instead. Still, the really big hitters swear that this thing has tons of real live unmatched "Insta-POP" off the face at the moment of impact.

Balance--4 Stars

This club has a lot of balance to it. It's got to be me here, because everyone that bags this baby, and I personally know 1/2 a dozen who swear by it, that this is a 5 star club in the balance department. To me, it had a slightly larger vague zone between the wrist hinge area and the part of the backswing where the hands reach shoulder height. Because this is the area we are currently focusing on in rebuilding my swing, I am extremely, and quite possibly, overly sensitive and overly analytical as regards this particular area of the swing. None the less, to me, it is what it is. Keep in mind, I went into the store already predispositioned to buy this club, so it's only fair that I outline the areas where it's corporate sibling gave it a good old fashioned @$$ whoopin'.

Technology
--4.5 Stars

Similar to the F11, which is the driver I actually bought, this club doesn't bring anything super fancy, extra kitshy, or any new whizz bang techno-gizmo gimmicks to the game. There's nothing brand new here, but what is here has been refined to it's highest level yet. The heel and toe scooping on the head of this club, as dictated by actual wind tunnel testing, is pretty extreme. This club has much more of a mushroom look (deep sole that mushrrooms out to a well rounded crown via heel and toe scoops) than anything else on the market. The Aldila RIP Shafts are fairly impressive technology wise, as Aldila continues to stay near the top of the heap, but lots of shafts are top notch these days, and 45.5" is fast becoming a standard in the industry. There's enough new here to help keep a revolutionary idea ( a wind-tunnel tested driver head) at the top of its game, but definitely not anything revolutionary .

Options
--4 Stars

There's not as many options here as I'd like to see, but Adams is trying to build specific drivers for specific swings rather than just speed rating a shaft and trying to make a driver head fit every type of swing and swing speed. Adams didn't cheap out here either, as do many companies who claim to do the same thing by buliding" Regular" and "Tour" versions of the same driver head. That usually means that the faster swingers will get a "Tour Version" that sets up .5-2.0 degrees open, sports a smaller head, or shallower face, and really doesn't differentiate itself enough in my eyes to earn a a different label, much less a higher price tag. This 9064 is a completely different club than its F11 game improvement sibling, or even the somewhat similar looking Ultra Game Improvement Speedline 4G Ultra Light. Basically you can get this club in 8.5,9.5 and 10.5* versions with either a Rip Alpha or Rip Gamma Shaft.

Overall
--4.25 Stars

This is a very good club, but it really isn't for everybody--myself included. Again, this is the club I thought I was going to buy. Believe me, Adams is well aware of the fact that this club is not for everybody, and that's why they actually have not one, not two, but THREE different drivers to choose from this year. My disappointment in not finding the miracle cure in the guise of this particular driver soon changed to ecstacy when I picked up its corporate sibling Adams F11. Who knows, you may be a slow swinger who reads my reviews and tries an F11, only to walk away with the Ultra Light, Ultra Game Improvement 4G. If you sport a strong and fast swing, you need to try this club. I did, but I simply don't clock a 100 MPH+ Average Driver Swing Speed yet.

I'd like to thank my Category Lead, Abraham, for providing the link that made this review possible.

Adams Golf Speedline 9064LS Drivers Headcover

Adams Golf Speedline 9064LS Drivers Headcover

This gently used headcover will replace the one you lost.

Adams Speedline 9064ls Driver Headcover 2010

Adams Speedline 9064ls Driver Headcover 2010

Clubs n Covers Your Specialist for Hard to Find Golf Equipment. New, Perfect Shape Description Product: Adams Speedline 9064LS Driver Headcover 2010 M...

Adams Speedline 9064 Ls Driver Head Cover Free Shipping Headcover

Adams Speedline 9064 Ls Driver Head Cover Free Shipping Headcover

For sale is my above mentioned head cover. Any questions, ask. I ship fast, next day or same day if possible.Thanks for browsing, 7 Iron Golf.

Adams Speedline 9064ls Driver Headcover .free Shipping To Us Address.

Adams Speedline 9064ls Driver Headcover .free Shipping To Us Address.

New Adams Speedline 9064LS Driver Headcover This headcover is new.

Adams Speedline 9064-ls Driver Headcover 9064ls Speed-line - Brand

Adams Speedline 9064-ls Driver Headcover 9064ls Speed-line - Brand

ADAMS SPEEDLINE 9064-LS DRIVER HEADCOVER BRAND NEW Any questions just ask! Inventory: 12869, 12909 Powered by eBay Turbo Lister The free listing tool....

Adams Golf Speedline Super LS Drivers

Adams Golf Speedline Super LS Drivers

With the quick-adjusting SUPER LS Driver you can dial it in for the exact loft and lie angle for efficient ball flight with perfect trajectory and spi...

Adams Golf Speedline Super S Driver Right Hand Regular

Adams Golf Speedline Super S Driver Right Hand Regular

Untitled-5 About Us Return Policy Shipping Contact Us Golf Clubs Drivers Men's Drivers Ladies Fairways Men's Fairways Ladies Hybrids Men's Hybrids Lad...

Adams Golf Speedline Super Ls Men's Driver - Choose Your Loft & Flex

Adams Golf Speedline Super Ls Men's Driver - Choose Your Loft & Flex

Powered by Frooition Pro Shop Search Adams Golf Speedline Super LS Men's Driver - Choose your Loft Flex! Click here to view full size. Full Size Image...

Adams Golf Speedline Super LS Fairway Woods

Adams Golf Speedline Super LS Fairway Woods

Adams Speedline Super LS fairway Woods are easy to hit and go farther than your buddys driver.