Afrin Sinus 12 Hour Nasal Spray Decongestant 0.5oz

Afrin Sinus 12 Hour Nasal Spray, Decongestant: 12 hours is 1/2 a day- no way!

Apr 1, 2003 (Updated Apr 1, 2003)

Pros:It works and doesn't make me drowsy.

Cons:Doesn't really last for a full 12 hours.

The Bottom Line: Afrin Sinus works. I suppose I will try the non-drip formula just to see the difference but this holds up to its claims.

At the beginning of the month I wrote a review on
Afrin Saline
which I like a lot. It is very different, though, than Afrin Sinus, which I am now reviewing. My doctor suggested trying it in conjunction with my allergy medication.

About the product and its claims:

Afrin Sinus is a 12-hour Nasal Spray. It claims to give 12 hours of relief. It comes in a 0.5 fluid ounce plastic bottle, much like Afrin Saline. It comes with a traditional cap that covers the nozzle from which the liquid gets sprayed. The hole is really, really tiny. It sells for $5.49.

Afrin Sinus is made by Shering-Plough. They note on the bottle that this contains “Oxymetazoline HCl - Nasal Decongestant.” That is just how it is written so the assumption is that the purpose of this medication is to relieve nasal congestion.

It is safety sealed and we are told not to use it if the seal has been broken.

We are also told that Afrin Sinus will relieve painful sinus pressure, which I do get when my allergies are at their worst. Normally I just use this as a decongestant.

It claims to be the #1 doctor and pharmacist recommended brand which in my case is true. This is the second bottle I have bought of this. The first one was when I walked into CVS really sick. I was coming from work. The pharmacist pointed to this as well as
Cepacol

We are told that Afrin Sinus has a blend of ingredients, which works right away and cools and soothes sinuses. This formula also moisturized dry and irritated nasal passages. I did find Afrin Saline to be especially helpful even though this does moisturize a bit. We are told that it will start working in seconds and will provide up to 12 hours of nasal congestion relief without drowsiness. Cynic that I am when I review products, please note that although on the package it clearly says 㥸 Hour Nasal Spray” we are then told up to 12 hours, which could mean 6 or 8 or 4 for that matter.

It is a temporary solution intended for allergies, hay fever, the common cold, and sinusitis. We are told that it shrinks swollen nasal membranes so I’ll be able to breathe better.

Who should use this, how should you use it, warnings and what is in it:

~Adults should spray 2 or 3 sprays in each nostril as should children ages 6- 12 with adult supervision.

~Please keep this away from children. Although they can use it if they are over 6, it is not child proof and certainly shouldn’t be used without an adult watching.

~You shouldn’t use this more than twice in 24 hours so hopefully it works close to 12 hours!

~If you are thinking of this for your under 6 years old please talk with your doctor first.

Afrin Sinus is simple to use. You just squeeze the bottle quickly and firmly without tilting your head backward. I see so many people tilting their head but that is not how it should be used.

~Wipe the nozzle clean after using it.

You should store it in an area that is between 36 degrees and 86 degrees Fahrenheit and it is suggested that you keep the carton which it comes in though it really has little information than the bottle. It does have an expiration date on the bottom of the box, though and that is an important fact to know.

~The active ingredient as already noted is Oxymetazoline Hydrochloride. This is .05% of the ingredients.
The inactive ingredients are Benzalkonium Chloride, Benzyl Alcohol, Camphor, Edetate Disodium, Eucalyptol, Menthol, Polysorbate 80, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Phosphate Dibasic, Sodium Phosphate Monobasic, Water

~You should talk with your doctor before you use Afrin Sinus if you have heart disease, high blood pressure, thyroid disease, diabetes, or an enlarged prostate.

~Don’t use more than what I told you the dose is or for more than 3 days in a row. This can cause nasal congestion to recur or worsen (and one of my best friends became addicted to a similar product many years ago.)

~Don’t be alarmed if at first your nose feels a burning sensation or stinging sensation. You may also start to sneeze or see more nasal discharge.

If your symptoms don’t go away, please stop using Afrin Sinus and see your doctor. Talk with your doctor if you are pregnant or nursing.

What is it like to use and what I think of it:

I have not experienced any of the sensations such as burning or sneezing. It does take a bit of pressure to squeeze. When the directions say to squeeze firmly, that is the absolute truth. I know there is a no-drip formula, however I have never experienced a sensation of Afrin going down my throat. It does drip a bit out of my nose and perhaps the no-drip stops that. I haven’t tried it yet.

It is very vapor like, not surprisingly. It smells like menthol (Most likely the Eucalyptol in this.) when I breathe it in and clears up my nasal congestion instantly – that is also a true statement. It doesn’t make me at all drowsy – another true statement. I am extreme sensitive to products that are not “drowsy-free” and can usually tell fairly quickly if I am going to be drowsy on a medication. The big question, I suppose it how long it lasts. Twelve hours is a long time and I can’t say that Afrin Sinus lasts for 12 hours. Truly the time it last depends on my symptoms. If they are very bad, I may feel them come back in 4 hours. If they are mild and I use it at 9:00 PM, then I usually wake up symptom free or close to symptom free. I don’t think this has ever had the same affects after hours that it first had 12 hours before.

My final thoughts:

I like Afrin Sinus. I like the fact it works! I like that just a couple of sprays with my head upright clear up my symptoms for an adequate amount of time. It is a small bottle so I can take it with me easily if I think I may have an allergy problem and I like the fact that I don’t have to swallow anything horrible tasting to decongest my nose.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave one.

You may be interested on a related review of Advil Cold & Sinus

Afrin Sinus Relief Nasal Spray 0.5 oz

Afrin Sinus Relief Nasal Spray 0.5 oz

Fast Powerful Congestion Relief*. Colds. Allergies. Relieves Painful Sinus Pressure*. 12 Hour Relief.
Herbspro.com

Afrin Original Nasal Spray, 1 Oz

Afrin Original Nasal Spray, 1 Oz

Clear up your stuffy nose fast with the Afrin Original Nasal Spray, 1 oz. By effectively shrinking swollen nasal membranes, this fast-acting nasal spr...

Afrin Original Nasal Spray, 0.5 Oz

Afrin Original Nasal Spray, 0.5 Oz

Clear up your stuffy nose fast with the Afrin Original Nasal Spray, 0.5 oz. By effectively shrinking swollen nasal membranes, this fast-acting nasal s...

5 Afrin Original Pumpmist 7/16 Maximum Strength 12 Hour Nasal Spray Allergy Cold

5 AFRIN PUMP MIST ORIGINAL MAXIMUM STRENGTH NASAL SPRAYS ~LOW BUY IT NOW PRICE FAST SHIPPING! PHOTO SHOWS 1, BUT YOU WILL RECEIVE 5 COUNT NEW SEALED ....

. Schering-Plough Afrin Nasal Spray Original 12 Hour PumpMist - 15mL - Model 143-7391 - Each. Manufacturer: Schering-Plough. Model Number: 143-7391. S...
Medline Generic OTC Nasal Spray, 12 Hr, 30 mL (Afrin) - MEDOTCS0393C2

Medline Generic OTC Nasal Spray, 12 Hr, 30 mL (Afrin) - MEDOTCS0393C2

Generic OTC Nasal Spray, 12 Hr, 30 mL (Afrin)Generic OTC Cough and Cold Relief: Decongestants Nasal Decongestant Spray. Lasts up to 12 hours. (Compare...
BettyMills.com

Afrin Nasal Spray Pump Mist Original 0.5 oz

Afrin Nasal Spray Pump Mist Original 0.5 oz

Original. Fast Powerful Congestion Relief*. Colds. Allergies. Maximum Strength.
Herbspro.com

Afrin No-drip Severe Congestion Pump Mist Nasal Spray .5oz (pack Of 3)

Afrin No-drip Severe Congestion Pump Mist Nasal Spray .5oz (pack Of 3)

Untitled Document Search titles descriptions Afrin No-Drip Severe Congestion Pump Mist Nasal Spray .5oz (Pack of 3) AFRIN NO-DRIP SEVR CPNGST .5OZ Pay...

Afrin 12 Hour Nasal Decongestant Pump Mist, No Drip, 0.5 Fl Oz

Afrin 12 Hour Nasal Decongestant Pump Mist, No Drip, 0.5 Fl Oz

Afrin 12 Hour Nasal Decongestant Pump Mist, No Drip, 0.5 Fl Oz Won't drip down nose or down throat.Fast, Powerful Congestion Relief Number One Brand i...