Alberto Culver Alberto Vo5 Silky Experiences Moisturizing Conditioner Champagne Kiss with Silk Proteins 15 Fl Oz

Alberto VO5 Silky Conditioner, Champagne Kiss - Cone Free But Silk Not Ideal For Hair

Jun 1, 2008 (Updated Jun 22, 2008)

Pros:inexpensive, good smell

Cons:not right for my hair

The Bottom Line: The Bottom Line is this was too heavy for my hair.

I decided a few months ago, after some reading, research and testing, to switch many of my hair products. My hair was always either dry or oily, or both. Now not every day, but I still wondered why I had to work so hard. With 3 small kids and a full time teaching job I was already getting up at 5:00 am to get everyone and myself ready and out the door.

I needed to simplify my routine and get better products for me. One thing I realized is that my hair did better when I used a conditioner that did not have a "'cone" (silicone) in the ingredients. Briefly, it's a smoothing agent that provides that "slip" to wet hair (and stays some on the hair when it dries) and can make hair soft. But it can also weigh down my fine hair and make it look greasy, as well as build up on my hair over time and it both greasy and dry. There are a lot of forums and websites to look at about this, and both sides the issue ...

Basically I discovered that the less I used conditioners with this ingredient, the better hair days I had.

One the drugstore type conditioners recommended on many sites was Alberto Vo5. Frankly, I was shocked. I've seen them locally from anywhere from $.80 to $1.20 for a 15 oz bottle -- surely something so cheap would just be chocked full of horrible ingredients and not work on my hair?

But I had to try.

Though I found a VO5 conditioner line that I fell in love with, one of the lines I tried was their "Silky" moisturizing conditioners - specially their Alberto Vo5 Silky Experiences Moisturizing Conditioner Champagne Kiss with Silk Proteins. Champagne Kiss is a strawberry and chamapgne blend in a pink bottle - so a sort of light bubbly fruity scent. The bottle has a silver colored flip top lid that is easy to use.

The ingredients are: Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Stearalkonium Chloride, Stearyl Alcohol, Steareth-21, Glyceryl Stearate, Hydrolyzed Silk, Tocopheryl Acetate, Biotin, Niacinamide, Polysorbate 20, Ascorbic Acid, Pathenol, DMDM Hydantoin, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance, Red 33 and Yellow 10. {so nothing ending in the letters -cone}

Sensual Indulgence. Indulge in the sensual experience of silk proteins. VO5?s Silky Experience Shampoos and Conditioners are infuse with silk proteins to smooth and moisturize hair back to its beautiful and manageable condition, giving it frizz-free and silky shine.

The product that comes out is thinner (but not runny like water) and light pink in color. You can really notice the scent blend and it can linger a little in my hair and in the shower - but it's not bothersome. I find I have to use about a palm size of this product and I usually leave it on my hair for a minute or two while I wash in the shower, then I rinse it all out.

I knew enough to know that not all "cone" free conditioners were equal, and that some times the combinations of ingredients that might work in one person's hair might not work in mind. I found that this product, Alberto VO5 Silky Experiences Smoothing Conditioner, Champagne Kiss was just too heavy for my hair.

Once dried I didn't notice any softer or nicer hair. If anything my hair felt and looked heavier than before - I knew because it lost it's "bounce" and fullness every time I used this conditioner. I tried it also in my daughter's hair (she's 2 1/2 with long, wavy hair) and it really flattened out her natural waves and flips on the ends of her hair. My thoughts are that the "silky" proteins were just not a good match for our hair types and this is not a conditioner that I'd personally purchase again.

I felt overall the price was certainly affordable, and therefore a nice way to try this product. I think this product might work in drier, curlier hair that really may need the silk protein, but not for thinner, straighter hair like ours. It was a great smelling product though, and if they made this scent in some of their other conditioners I'd buy this scent again!

Another VO5 conditioner review:

Moisture Milk - Passion Fruit Smoothie

Alberto Vo5 Hair Dressing For Normal & Dry Hair 1.5 Oz - 12 Pack Case

Alberto Vo5 Hair Dressing For Normal & Dry Hair 1.5 Oz - 12 Pack Case

Alberto VO5 Hair Dressing for Normal Dry Hair 1.5 Oz - 12 Pack CASE MANUFACTURER: ALBERTO CULVER INC. PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: Soothes Split Ends, Smooths...

Alberto VO5 Silky Experiences Shea Cashmere 12.5-ounce Moisturizing Conditioner

Alberto VO5 Silky Experiences Shea Cashmere 12.5-ounce Moisturizing Conditioner

Alberto's VO5 Silky Experiences shea cashmere moisturizing conditioner leaves your hair feeling and looking it's best. Use this moisturizing condition...
Alberto Vo5 Hot Oil, Moisturizing, 2 Ct.

Alberto Vo5 Hot Oil, Moisturizing, 2 Ct.

Alberto VO5 Hot Oil, Moisturizing, 2 ct.

Alberto Vo5 U-hc-1993 Moisturizing Hot Oil Treatment 2 X 0.5 Oz Oil

Alberto Vo5 U-hc-1993 Moisturizing Hot Oil Treatment 2 X 0.5 Oz Oil

ALBERTO CULVER CO U-HC-1993 Alberto VO5 U-HC-1993 Moisturizing Hot Oil Treatment - 2 x 0.5 oz - Oil Description Get dramatic results in just 1 minute....

Alberto Vo5 Moisture Milk Conditioner, Strawberries and Cream, 15 Ounce

Alberto Vo5 Moisture Milk Conditioner, Strawberries and Cream, 15 Ounce

Features: Extra Body Conditioner by Alberto VO5 for Unisex - 15 oz Conditioner Extra Body Conditioner by Alberto VO5 for Unisex Treat yourself to the ...
Alberto Vo5 Hair Gel Maximum 20.3 Oz

Alberto Vo5 Hair Gel Maximum 20.3 Oz

Alberto VO5 Hair Gel Maximum 20.3 oz

Alberto Vo5 Hair Dressing Cream Blow Dryer Formula

Alberto Vo5 Hair Dressing Cream Blow Dryer Formula

Alberto VO5 hair dressing cream Blow Dryer Formula Super hard to find anywhere One boxed TUBE

Alberto Vo5 Hot Oil Shower Weekly Deep Conditioning Treatment 2 Fl Oz

Alberto Vo5 Hot Oil Shower Weekly Deep Conditioning Treatment 2 Fl Oz

Product Description Shower Works Hot Oil Moisturizing Treatment by Alberto VO5 for Unisex - 2 oz Oil

Alberto VO5 Detangle! & Shine Daily Weightless Leave-In Conditioner, 10-Ounce Spray Bottles (Pack of 6)