Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Flu Liqui-Gels

6 consumer reviews
Average Product Rating: Very Good

ALKA-SELTZER PLUS COLD AND FLU MEDICINE : WHERE IS MY FIZZY STUFF?

Nov 7, 2000 (Updated Mar 26, 2001)

Pros:affordable medication for cold and flu relief; easy to use

Cons:Still had upset stomach after using.

The Bottom Line: is that Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold and Flu is an affordable OTC medication that provides relief from most symptoms. Quick acting.

I am worse than any man when it comes to being sick. Now don't take offense to that comment because you men know that when you are sick, the world ceases to turn and all attentions should be focused on you. I am just as bad if not worse.

I want my blanket, I want my favorite pillow, I want a Disney movie popped in the VCR, I want my mommy, and if it isn't too much trouble could you make me some chicken and noodles? I know I am impossible when I am sick but that's just the way it is.

Good Grief, Take Something Already!

It started Sunday afternoon with an uneasy stomach and headache. I was suppose to go to my dad's house for dinner but just the thought of food made me ill. I was definitely coming down with something.

I am not a big fan of medication so I didn't take anything on Sunday and just laid around sleeping most of the night. Monday came and I still felt horrible. In fact, my symptoms had worsened and I was now feeling the full blown flu virus. Without getting into the details, I spent most of Monday paying homage to the porcelain god.

My roommate went to the local discount store to get my trusty friend, Alka-Seltzer. Alka-Seltzer cold would cure it. Oh how I love the fizz tingling my nose when I drink it down. I was delighted when I saw her pull in the drive because I knew help was on the way.

When she was unloading the bag, I didn't see my familiar blue box of fizzy tablets. Instead, she hands me "something better". It was Alka-Seltzer Cold and Flu Liquid Tabs. This would never work, I just knew it. No fizz meant that I would continue to suffer.

I swallowed two of the tablets and waited for them to take effect. Nothing. My roommate said I needed to give it more than five minutes. Okay, fine. I popped in a movie and laid on the couch. I figured after two hours, it should have helped and if not, I could send her back to the store with a "I told you so" grumble.

So Did It Work?

Amazingly enough it did. Even without the familiar fizz, I was feeling much better. My symptoms had eased. My body wasn't aching and my headache was gone. I still felt the stomach upset but all in good time.

The tablets contain a combination of Acetaminophen, a nasal decongestant, and a cough suppressant. Okay so there was no fizz but these two little pills were putting me on the track to recovery.

The package states that you can take two tablets every four hours if you are an adult but again, I am hesitant about taking medications so waited until later that evening to take any more. I made some soup and swallowed the next tablets.

I fell asleep and slept through most of the evening. I am not sure whether the medication made me drowsy or it was just from being sick so I can't offer much help in that area. I am sensitive to medication so what makes me drowsy may not make the next person drowsy.

Upon waking, I felt much better.

Did It Work Better Than The Blue Box?

The only symptom that it really didn't relieve all that much was my upset stomach. Even after taking the tablets I still had an uneasy feeling in my stomach and slight nausea.

As far as my other symptoms, the tablets certainly relieved my headache and muscle aches. I also noticed that the cold, clammy feeling I felt subsided. Overall, I would say this was a very effective medication.

I have tried the hot liquid treatments for flu in the past and they were just as effective but trying to drink it down was just as bad as being sick. So the tablets were a perfect alternative.

Final Thought

The regular blue box of Alka-Seltzer cold medicine with the fizz is still my choice if I am just suffering from cold and sinus symptoms. However, when you throw in body aches, clammy skin, and overall flu symptoms, the Alka-Seltzer Cold and Flu tablets are the answer.

After just two doses, I can say that I was on the way to feeling myself again. I just took my third dose and think by the end of the day I should be in top shape.

Remember that with this and other medications, you should consult the pharmacist if you have high blood pressure or taking other drugs.

Alka-Seltzer Plus Day Cold and Flu Formula Liquid Gels -- 20 Liquid Gels

Alka-Seltzer Plus Day Cold and Flu Formula Liquid Gels -- 20 Liquid Gels

Temporarily relieves these symptoms due to a cold or flu:Minor Aches and PainsHeadacheCoughSore ThroatNasal and Sinus CongestionTemporarily Reduces Fe...
Vitacost.com

Alka-Seltzer Plus Night Severe Cold, Cough & Flu Packets, 6 count

Alka-Seltzer Plus Night Severe Cold, Cough & Flu Packets, 6 count

Feel better fast. Mix an Alka-Seltzer Plus Night Severe Cold, Cough & Flu Packet into eight ounces of hot water and sip the soothing beverage within 1...

Alka-seltzer Plus Cold Formula, Sparkling Original, 36 Tablets

Alka-seltzer Plus Cold Formula, Sparkling Original, 36 Tablets

Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold Formula, Sparkling Original, 36 Tablets

Alka-Seltzer Plus Night Cold and Flu Formula -- 20 Liquid Gels

Alka-Seltzer Plus Night Cold and Flu Formula -- 20 Liquid Gels

Temporarily relieves these symptoms due to a cold or flu:Minor aches and painsHeadacheNasal and Sinus CongestionCough Sore Throat Runny Nose SneezingT...
Vitacost.com

American Drug Supply Store
Alka-seltzer Plus Cold Formula, Sparkling Original, 36 Tablets (3 Pack)

Alka-seltzer Plus Cold Formula, Sparkling Original, 36 Tablets (3 Pack)

Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold Formula, Sparkling Original, 36 Tablets (3 Pack)

Alka Seltzer Plus Severe Allergy Sinus Congestion & Headache - 20 Gel Capsules (

Geffen - Best deals on eBay NEW Alka Seltzer Plus Severe Allergy Sinus Congestion Headache - 20 Gel Capsules (Pack of 3) - Brand New items.- Our stand...

American Drug Supply Store