Ally

Epinions Product Rating: OK

Ally: New "Best" Online Bank--But "Best" is Relative

Nov 14, 2010 (Updated Nov 14, 2010)

• Customer Service:
  • Web Site Experience:
  • Web Site Load Time:

Pros:Slightly higher rates, unlimited REAL checks, all ATM's free

Cons:No connection to brokerages, only makes auto loans/

The Bottom Line: Its checking and savings seem slightly better than other online banks--but that's not saying much in this dismal banking environment.

I recently received a snail-mail postcard ad for Ally Bank indicating that Kiplingers and Money Magazine ranked it first among online banks.  While I was happy with my ING Direct Account, I decided to open up a small account with Ally and see how it compared.

"Best" is Relative

Bank interest rates are very low everywhere, and Ally is no exception.  As of this review date (November 14, 2010) Ally's rates are slightly higher than ING Direct and Virtual Bank's, but when talking about 1.5% annually or less, it doesn't give much incentive to change.

I decided to try the 1.28% no penalty withdrawal CD.  This allows customers to withdraw their funds any time after 6 days without paying a penalty.  The website showed a comparison to a similar Bank of America CD that only paid 0.35% interest.  It also had a calculator that would allow potential customers to  put in their opening balance and see exactly how little they would be earning.

Their checking and savings rates were 1.19%, marginally higher than ING Direct's and Virtual Bank's 1.10% savings rates.

The Checking Difference

Ally Bank's checking account appeared to have several distinct advantages over ING Direct's.

Account holders can use real checks that they can carry with them to use in the admittedly rare circumstances where checks are the only option.  This isn't possible with ING Direct's Electric Orange account.

Account holders get refunds of ATM charges when they withdraw money from bricks and mortar ATM's (they can also get cash back at retailers.)  The fees are returned at the end of the month.  ING Direct, on the other hand, gives customers a network (the Allpoint network) of 35,000 ATM's across the country where ATM charges won't be levied.  Most of the ones near my home are in Walgreen's.  If other ATM's are used, fees will be levied.

Loans

Ally Bank is formerly GMAC Financial, and it offers auto financing and leasing while ING Direct offers mortgages.  Auto financing and leasing can be handled and managed online.  No rates were quoted, and I imagine that most of the time people would get their Ally auto loans through car dealers.  (Consumer advocates often say that, unless there are huge promotions, it's good to have financing lined up elsewhere before shopping for a car.)

Two Advantages I See With ING Instead of Ally

Personally, I like the link to the Sharebuilder account, because it makes ING more of a one-stop financial services company, and transfers between ING and Sharebuilder are free and immediate.

And ING has more promotions.  A current promotion, for example, gives customers a 1% rebate on every purchase made with the ING Debit Mastercard, even if a pin number is used, for purchases under $50 each.

They recently had a sweepstakes for everyone who set up a transfer to savings once a month.

And they still have referral bonuses (see lower right corner of website.)

Ally Service

The website is easy to navigate, and setting up the account was fairly easy.  The "trial" transfers to the checking account were quick, but the transfer from my bricks and mortar checking account was slow.

I called up Customer Service once.  The good news--their customer service reps are American.  Mine was even from my home state.  The bad news--she was as chatty as can be, asking me about the weather and trying so hard to be helpful (and drum up business) that finally I told her, "I'm at work right now, and I just don't have time for all this."  Click.

Their website even has an "online chat" option with Customer Service which is apparently available 24 hours a day.

Final Thoughts

I tried the 11 month CD, but at the moment I don't feel very motivated to give Ally more of my business.

Interest rates are in the basement all over.  Keeping more than emergency funds in a bank right now is a losing proposition to start with--and earning a few dollars a year more at one bank than another isn't significant.

My credit union checking account has a number of advantages over online banks (cash back rebates on my debit Visa all the time, for example.)

I prefer to keep my emergency funds at ING because of the Sharebuilder link.

There are some advantages to Ally, but banking prospects are so dismal overall it's hard to get excited about it.

Ally Low Boots - Womens

Ally Low Boots - Womens

This leopard printed style is fantastic for making a statement. Great with skinny jeans, the Ally low is made from gorgeous Australian Merino wool and...
Softspots Ally Slip-On Women's Shoes

Softspots Ally Slip-On Women's Shoes

Set sail for style Why choose between comfort and style? The adorable Ally slip-on has nautical accents and contrasting leather trim. The signature P...
AmeriMark

Kate Spade Kate Spade Ally 3 YB7 Sunglasses

Kate Spade Kate Spade Ally 3 YB7 Sunglasses

Kate Spade Kate Spade Ally 3 YB7 Sunglasses. The Kate Spade Ally sunglasses aviators fit just about everyone, these aviators style a very comfortable ...
Bluefly

Women's UGG Ally Lizard - Black Sandals

Women's UGG Ally Lizard - Black Sandals

Alive with warm-weather whimsy, the Ally Lizard infuses the flip-flop with a fashionable attitude. Go from beach to street with ease.
Shoebuy.com

Ukala Women's Ally Low Boot - Chestnut - Medium (M) 7

Ukala Women's Ally Low Boot - Chestnut - Medium (M) 7

Womens Casual Boots from Ukala: Ukala Women's Ally Low Boot - Chestnut-Suede. Pull On Leather Casual Plain Toe Boots. Sizes: 7 Widths: Medium (M). The...
ShoeMall

Black Hawk Products Blackhawk Ally Plr

Black Hawk Products Blackhawk Ally Plr

Product Description Black Hawk Products Blackhawk Ally Plr ALLY PLR Multi-purpose rechargeable high-intensity compact CREE LED flashlight Beam signatu...

Ugg Ally Lizard Women's Black Leather Flip Flops/lizard Straps Size 7

Ugg Ally Lizard Women's Black Leather Flip Flops/lizard Straps Size 7

UGG Ally Lizard (Black Suede) Women's Shoes Size us 7 Brand new!!!!! Just tried it on once at home!It's a present from a friend! But it doesn't fit me...

Kate Spade Kate Spade Ally 3 DX4 Sunglasses

Kate Spade Kate Spade Ally 3 DX4 Sunglasses

Kate Spade Kate Spade Ally 3 DX4 Sunglasses. The Kate Spade Ally sunglasses aviators fit just about everyone, these aviators style a very comfortable ...
Bluefly

Ukala Sydney Kids Ally Low Girls Shoes Size 4 Big Kid M

Ukala Sydney Kids Ally Low Girls Shoes Size 4 Big Kid M

On the prowl for a pair of boots that will be sure to capture some attention? Look no further. This Ukala Sydney pair has all of the right details for...
6pm.com