Altec Lansing 221 Computer Speakers Reviews

Altec Lansing 221 Computer Speakers

Lots of distorted boom

Oct 26, 2002

Pros:easy setup, handsome packaging, good high and midrange

Cons:distorted bass

The Bottom Line: Good performance only at lower volume settings. Subwoofer distorts a lot at higher volume settings.

Despite my faithful portable JVC boombox was still alive and well after some 13 years of service, I decided to get some speakers with more bass to play MP3 files on my computer. Off I went to Costco and found the Altec Lansing speakers are available for $35 tax. That's $15 less compared to Fry's.

The package (i.e., the BOX itself) is well designed. It's very compact and environmental with just paper based cushioning. It was easy to unpack the individual components. Everything was wrapped properly.

Installation was a breeze. Place the satelites wherever you need them, then connect the audio in to your equipment. There is one thick cable from the right satelite with a DIN connector. Connect that to the subwoofer. The subwoofer has the AC line also, just plug that to any outlet and the installation is done! From start to starting to play music, there are only three connections.

Handy features include on/off and volume control on the right satelite. The right satelite also houses a headphone jack for easier connection.

At a low volume, the sound quality is not bad. Compared to my Grado Labs headphones, the bass is a little bit heavy, but that's probably what people want. The highend and midrange are well reproduced.

When pushed a little, the bass starts to distort (as compared to my headphones). What type of distortion? Different low frequencies begin to sound alike. When pushed even more, all bass frequencies (within a certain range, of course) become one big mess. Loud? Yes. Hi-fidelity? No.

I may look into this and replace the factory bass speaker with something better. I don't think the problem is with the amplifier or cross-over.

As is, the speaker system is suitable for personal/small office use. This is just what I needed anyway because my home office is right next to the bedroom and I work late. However, if you want to impress a crowd with music with lots of bass, this speaker system will most likely embarrass you.

At $35, I think the speaker system is reasonable. Then, again, if you only need a low power speaker system, you can consider some of the better $20 systems.

Altec Lansing Acs 90 Computer Speakers In Sealed Box

Altec Lansing Acs 90 Computer Speakers In Sealed Box

Here is a great pair of Altec Lansing speakers new in the original box unopened. GOOD LUCK!

Altec Lansing Computer Speaker Set Ada215 Factory Sealed Box Dpn 0r0240

Altec Lansing Computer Speaker Set Ada215 Factory Sealed Box Dpn 0r0240

The Altec Lansing ADA215 speakers for computers can be used for professional as well as entertainment purposes. With maximum sound output of 3-watts, ...

Altec Lansing Wired 2-piece White Computer Speaker System 3.5mm 65db 120v Acs21w

The Altec Lansing ACS21W computer speakers deliver crisp and clear audio output with excellent stereo effect. These Altec Lansing speakers are suitabl...

Altec Lansing Vs2621 2.1 Channel Speaker System

Altec Lansing Vs2621 2.1 Channel Speaker System

The Altec Lansing VS2621 is a three-piece speaker system which is specially designed for computers and MP3 players. Integrated with great audio alignm...

Altec Lansing Technologies Fx3022 Altec Lansing Expressionist Bass 2-way Speaker

The Altec Lansing FX3022 Expressionist Bass Speakers features twin desktop speakers with subwoofers built right in. That?s right, the bass is in the b...
Altec Lansing Bxr1220 2-piece Desktop Speaker System

Altec Lansing Bxr1220 2-piece Desktop Speaker System

Enjoy music and movies on your laptop or desktop with quality sound with the Altec Lansing BXR1220 computer speakers. The drivers, enclosures and elec...

Altec Lansing Iml247 Orbit Usb Ultra Portable Stereo Speakers For Laptop Desktop

Altec Lansing IML247 Orbit USB Ultra Portable Stereo Speakers for Laptop Desktop Altec Lansing IML247 Altec Lansing IML247 Orbit USB Stereo Speaker Sy...

Altec Lansing(R) Bluetooth(R) Speaker

Altec Lansing(R) Bluetooth(R) Speaker

Waterproof and sandproof makes it great for the outdoors! Features a switchable jacket so you have either a blue or black speaker. Includes a USB char...
Office Depot