Pros: inexpensive for this type of oven, self-cleaning
Cons: small drawer, warranty, not easily cleaned on top
We finally decided that having two burners on which to cook just wasn't working. We wanted a ceramic top and it had to be electric. We didn't want to spend a lot of money. We bought the Amana AER5830VA Electric Range two years ago on sale at Home Depot. The price now is about $550.00 on sale. That is in the low end of range prices.
About the Amana Electric Range:
The first thing we noticed was that this range is smaller than our previous one was. It doesn't make a difference to us. We have a small kitchen so it is good. What isn't good, especially for a family, is that the bottom drawer is not nearly as deep as any other range I've owned. My cookie sheets are always falling in the back and onto the floor.
I would not recommend the flat top style range if you have children. I know that kids touch coils as well but the ceramic is hot even when it is not red. There is a hot light indicator but a child would have to know to look for it.
The Amana 30-inch Freestanding Electric Range
- is self-cleaning. We do not stay in the house when it cleans because of the odor. It does a really great job of cleaning itself though.
- has a delay bake oven control and keep warm setting.
- has a large oven window.
- has 2 oven racks with 5 oven rack positions.
- has a clock
- has an oven timer
- bakes, roasts, and broils.
- heats up immediately. I love this feature. I do not have to wait at all. If it is too hot, it takes a second for it to cool down after I lower the knob.
The Amana Electric Range
- is smaller than others measuring about 29-inches wide by 25-inches deep by 36-inches high to the cook-top and a total height of 47-inches with the leveling legs all the way in. They can go up one inch.
- has only a 1-year limited warranty.
- is the most confusing range my husband and I have ever used. I would have reviewed The Amana lectric Range anyway but I was hoping that after the review I would know how to set the timer! The directions told me but this was the first time I read them. Truly I never had a range that wasn't self-explanatory and whose directions I had to read to know how to use a not very complex range.
- has to be cleaned carefully and with special cleaning agents. I have noticed that spills really show up against the top so if you want it looking nice you should always have cleaner on hand. It cleans fairly easily. It is certainly easier to clean than electric stove tops but it takes a bit of elbow grease to really get the stains off.
The Amana Electric Range has a 4.8-cubic foot capacity. I was able to fit 4 12 inch by 12 inch pans and one 9 inch by 9 inch baking pan in the over over Passover.
For the money I am definitely going to give the Amana AER5830VA Electric Range four stars but only because we got it on sale. It is a great range for the money.
This is not a range for a large family but for the two of us it's attractive and it works.
This is white with a black cooking top.
After having it for a couple of years I am concerned about the cooking time. For example I was cooking chicken the other night and it still wasn’t done after an hour. Granted I had several other items in the oven so many cooks may have told me to put the heat up higher so I won't take off for that. I learned something after two years!