Kate Hayden - Amazing Buildings

Amazing Buildings from Around the World

Oct 26, 2011 (Updated Oct 26, 2011)

Pros:Nice photographs, interesting paragraphs, good book for learning to read.

Cons:Canadian Ice Hotel instead of Swedish.

The Bottom Line:

This DK second level reading book is one of the more interesting and fun. It features a lot of nice photographs of buildings from around the world.

Cool looking buildings are fun to look at and to read about. We bought this second level DK readers book some years ago when our daughter was learning how to read. We read it with her and she read it as well. These books are in general fun to read and often interesting and this one is one of the more interesting of them. Naturally you have to adjust the reading level otherwise it gets too easy or too challenging.

This book features large colorful photographs of interesting buildings from around the world and one or two short large font paragraphs to go with it. Some of the paragraphs have fun trivia in them. Our daughter loved this book and I still sometimes look in it because of the beautiful pictures. I've been to a number of the buildings featured in the book, which also makes it fun to look in the book.

The included buildings are the Egyptian pyramids, the Colosseum, the Neuschwanstein castle, Versailles, the Eiffel Tower, the Petronas Towers, the Florence Cathedral in Italy, the St. Basil's Cathedral in Moscow, Spaceship Earth at Epcot in Disney World, the Sydney Opera House, the Guggenheim Museum, the Olympic Stadium in Australia, the Eden Project in England, and the International Space Station. On the last page there are four more buildings that are briefly described, the Raglan Castle in England, the Ice Hotel in Canada, the Tower of Pisa, and the Great Wall of China.

It was somewhat irritating that they chose the ice hotel in Quebec when the larger and the original ice hotel is located in Northern Sweden, and we had all been there by the time my daughter read this book. I also would have exchanged some of the buildings for some other buildings that I find more interesting, but I am not going to be difficult. I also think the Eiffel Tower is overrated.

However, aside from that this is one of the better second level DK readers book. I think Journey of a Humpback Whale was a little better, but this is a good one. It is interesting, it has nice pictures, and it gets kids interested in Geography as the buildings are from around the world.

I would like to add this book to Jennifer Kate's Geography write-off as it is somewhat related to Geography.

Hayden Russell 1 30x40 Western Photograph Print Reproduction Poster

Hayden Russell 1 30x40 Western Photograph Print Reproduction Poster

Movie Star News Hayden Russell 1 30x40 Western Photograph Print Reproduction Poster
Poster: H. Hayden Poster

Poster: H. Hayden Poster

Title: America's Answer to Humanity's Challenge; Product Type: Art Print; Artist: H. Hayden

Hayden Russell 1 8x10 Western Photograph Print Reproduction Poster

Hayden Russell 1 8x10 Western Photograph Print Reproduction Poster

Movie Star News Hayden Russell 1 8x10 Western Photograph Print Reproduction Poster
Poster: Linda Hayden Poster

Poster: Linda Hayden Poster

Title: Linda Hayden; Product Type: Art Print

Reflective Art hayden lambson wildlife clocks

Reflective Art hayden lambson wildlife clocks

Each of these 16-diameter Hayden Lambson Wildlife all clocks features a scene taken from the work of renowned wildlife artist Hayden Lambson. The resi...
Cabela's

Hayden Russell 1 16x20 Western Photograph Print Reproduction Poster

Hayden Russell 1 16x20 Western Photograph Print Reproduction Poster

Movie Star News Hayden Russell 1 16x20 Western Photograph Print Reproduction Poster
Hayden Russell 2 20x30 Western Photograph Print Reproduction Poster

Hayden Russell 2 20x30 Western Photograph Print Reproduction Poster

Movie Star News Hayden Russell 2 20x30 Western Photograph Print Reproduction Poster
Hayden Lambson 22 x 30 Framed Prints

Hayden Lambson 22 x 30 Framed Prints

Created exclusively for Cabelas, these limited-edition prints by premier wildlife master artist Hayden Lambson feature the beauty of some of North Ame...
Cabela's

Poster: Poster of Linda Hayden

Poster: Poster of Linda Hayden

Title: Linda Hayden; Product Type: Art Print

Hayden Russell 2 11x14 Western Photograph Print Reproduction Poster

Hayden Russell 2 11x14 Western Photograph Print Reproduction Poster

Movie Star News Hayden Russell 2 11x14 Western Photograph Print Reproduction Poster