American Girl - Bitty Twins Playdate outfits Reviews

American Girl - Bitty Twins Playdate outfits

Bitty Twins Playdate Outfits: Perfect for Little Hands!

Jul 25, 2012

Pros:Easy to put on dolls, cute outfits

Cons:Discontinued- might be hard to find

The Bottom Line: These Playdate Outfits are cute, and worth tracking down for your Bitty Twins.

My twins turned 3 at the beginning of June, and they received a set of American Girl Bitty Twins for their birthday.  They picked the blonde boy and girl, which are the ones that look the most like them- except for the fact that my twins are both girls!

A few weeks before we brought the Bitty Twins home, I found the Playdate Outfits at my local Children’s Orchard.  The two outfits were $13.99.  Considering that one new outfit for ONE Bitty Twin costs $24 or more, this was a good bargain.

As an aside, when I opened the bag up, it smelled a little musty.  I put some dryer sheets in the bag and closed it back up.  It took about a week, but this took care of the smell!

The Playdate Outfits were sold separately from the American Girl store, but they are often sold on the secondary market in a boy/girl pair of outfits.

The girl’s outfit consists of a striped sweater, a skirt, floral tights, and Mary-Jane shoes.

The boy’s outfit consists of a striped sweater, jeans, an anorak, and sneakers.

The outfits are a nice complement to each other, and to the pieces in each of the individual outfits.  The girl’s outfit has a flower on the sweater and then floral tights.  The boy’s outfit has a car on the sweater, and then some car piping on the pockets of the jeans.  The orange anorak also matches the orange sneakers.

The Bitty Twins are designed for children who are too young for American Girl dolls, so approximately 3-7 years old.  The clothing is designed with this in mind.  The sweaters open up all the way in the back, so there is no need to pull the sweater over the doll’s head.  This makes it much easier to dress the dolls up.  Pants and tights are also pretty easy to put on, as are shoes.

My girls like these outfits.  We have a lot of preemie sleepers from Gymboree for the Bitty Twins to wear, but we don’t have a lot of Bitty Twin outfits.  The reason for this is the cost- outfits tend to cost $24 apiece, and you need two of them for a set of twins.  Gymboree preemie sleepers are usually $8 or less with sale and a coupon.  I don’t mind spending $24 on outfits for the larger American Girls, but when there is a less expensive alternative for the “baby dolls”, I’m going to go with that instead.

So, because we don’t have a lot of OUTFITS (as opposed to sleepers/rompers), the Playdate Outfits stand out.  The girls can almost dress the twins by themselves.  They still need help with the pants, but they can put the shirts on by themselves, thanks to the opening in the back.  The Bitty Twins are often dressed in their Playdate Outfits.

From what I have read, these outfits were released in 2004, and retired in 2006.   This means that they cannot be purchased at the American Girl store; if you want one or both of these outfits, you will have to look on the secondary market.  There are not a substantial number of them on Ebay, but listings tend to trickle in on a regular basis.

I would absolutely recommend the Bitty Twins Playdate Outfits.  These outfits are adorable, and they are easy for children to put on.  The outfits are nicely coordinated, and my girls like to put these outfits onto their Bitty Twins.

Bitty Twins Matching Christmas Boy and Girl Set. fits American Girl Bitty Twins 15 Dolls.

American Girl Bitty Baby Or Twin Mix & Match Outfits Complete Set & Book

American Girl Bitty Baby Or Twin Mix & Match Outfits Complete Set & Book

Offering a brand new in the box American Girl Bitty Baby Mix Match outfits set as pictured. This set includes a long-sleeved embroidered dress, a soft...

American Girl Bitty Twin Tropical Skirt Set for Dolls
American Girl Bitty Twins Dolls - Blond Boy and Girl with Bitty Twins Learn to Share book