American Girl Today - Spa, Robe and Slippers Reviews

American Girl Today - Spa, Robe and Slippers

American Girl Spa Robe and Slippers - 20 bucks for a Turbie Twist and Towel

Jan 19, 2007

Pros:cute, robe easy to get on and off, still looks brand new

Cons:expensive and the turbie twist may require 4 hands

The Bottom Line: A cute set for stressed out dolls that need "me" time at the spa.

I believe I have reached an all-time low in my life when I end up spending more on a robe and slippers for doll than I spend on ones for myself. Sure the robe is cute, and something I might even consider wearing if it came in my size, but 20 bucks for three items – that just seems, what’s that word I’m looking for – oh yeah, insane.

Of course I have no one to blame for the situation I am currently in, OK wait yes I do, my mother – she opened the floodgate 13 years ago when she presented my oldest daughter, now almost 18, with her first American Girl doll (back then it was called Pleasant Company – now they are owned by Mattel).

Yes, I agree my daughter did love the doll, and she better have for all the money it cost, but it started a huge downward spiral I have yet to bounce back from – hopefully I have only a few more years to go and I am done purchasing AG dolls (for my youngest) and all the required accessories, because you see it’s never enough to have the doll, they need friends, pets, furniture and fun outfits - it just becomes a vicious buying cycle.

I use to love AG when it was Pleasant Company – it was high quality and you knew it would hold up to being played with. Since Mattel took over, buying stuff from them seems like Russian roulette – it may be good, it be horrible or somewhere in between. When my daughter presents her holiday or birthday wish list I carefully look it over, trying to determine if it will be good or bad and trying to steer her from the bad.

Clothes are generally a safe bet – yes, they will cost a minimum of 20 dollars an outfit, but I know she will use them to dress the dolls and I will get return for investment (we’ve had a few ripped outfits they replaced, problems tend to come with larger/costlier items).

Maybe 2 years ago she told me she needed this outfit – I’m sure she asked nicely, but the message was – if I don’t get it, the doll and I will perish. Seems her Girl of Today needed some serious me time at the spa – huh, I don’t get to go to the spa, why should the doll? She wanted the whole set – chair, facial accessory kit, rollers, etc. Upon discussion with my mom we decided to go in together and get her what she wanted – part of it being the spa robe and slippers.

This is one of the more basic outfits, it’s found in the catalog with the Just Like You dolls and accessories (the new robe is reversible and different colors, and the price is slightly higher because you also get a book). We have this set – which I can say after all this time and being played with looks brand new.

The robe fits all AG dolls (and I should know between the 2 girls we have a mini minion army of them). They are 18” soft-bodied dolls with plastic arms and legs. We have used the outfit on other brands of dolls without a problem. It’s a white robe that opens in the front – it comes with a tie sash, with enough length that small fingers can work it and tie a bow.

It’s made out of terry cloth and my daughter was able to easily get it on and off the doll. The robe is decorated in pink, purple and blue appliqués of spa items – mirror, nail polish etc. I am not sure if they said it could be machine washed, but I have tossed it in the machine on gentle cycle in a lingerie bag and let it air dry with no problems. The mule type slippers are also white and have flowers on the front.

With the set you also get a turbie twist for the doll, even though you can’t wash her hair – its fun to pretend. We bought a companion set for Coconut the dog – very cute and it had a matching turbie twist. Unlike the adult version of the Turbie Twist, which uses elastic, this one comes with two ribbons to secure the towel.

Having had it and used it for 2 years, I can say putting it on always seems to be a two person job. I would consider my daughter coordinated, problem is she doesn’t have 4 hands. We found that it is much easier to get the towel on the doll’s head if you turn her upside down, secure the hair and then slip the wide end of the towel over it – working from back to front – just like the real turbie twist. We have also found that on dolls with lots of hair, like Addy and Josephina, you may not be able to get all the hair into it. Kit and Emily work really well because they have short hair.

Once the towel seems secure, you twist the front end and pull it towards the back of the head, securing it with the ribbons. As an adult I have trouble doing it on the doll without help, because she is sliding, hair is falling out and it can get frustrating. For some reason using one on your own head is much easier.

I will say the doll looks very cute dressed in this outfit, especially when she is sitting in the spa chair with Coconut by her side. I don’t believe this version is for sale via the AG website, I only found a newer version, which is also cute – you might be able to find it cheap on eBay.

My daughter wanted this outfit and plays with it two years later. I will be the first to admit 20 dollars is a lot for a doll’s outfit, especially when the quality has declined – however, I’d rather spend money on something I know she will use than something which will end up never touched.

If your AG doll is stressed to the max, I suggest you get her a spa robe and slippers and give her some much needed me time.

Type of Toy: Other
Age Range of Child: 6 to 8 Years

American Girl Spa Chair - MY AG 2013

She can treat her doll to a spa day! Just like the real thing, this padded spa chair tips back so she can wash her doll's hair with the pull-out spray...
Mattel R4807 Barbie Video Girl African-american Doll

Mattel R4807 Barbie Video Girl African-american Doll

Create movies from Barbie s point of view with the Barbie Video Camera Doll! There s a real video camera inside this Barbie Doll. The Barbie Video Gir...

Scientific Girl Ultimate Spa & Perfume

Scientific Girl Ultimate Spa & Perfume

Endless hours of aromatic joy await you as you pamper yourself with fabulous scents. The Ultimate Spa and Perfume kit has all the essentials for a com...

Spa to Fab(tm) Barbie(R) Doll

Spa to Fab(tm) Barbie(R) Doll

Barbie doll is ready for a day of pampering and primping at the spa! Girls will love playing superstar stylist and transforming Barbie doll from fashi...
Boscovs.com