Amy's Organic Cheese Enchilada Entree Frozen Food 10oz

Amy's Cheese Enchiladas

Feb 7, 2012

Pros:made with organic ingredients; nothing artificial; very tasty

Cons:high sodium content; expensive

The Bottom Line: Although they're expensive, these enchiladas are made with quality ingredients you can taste.

I don't like to cook to begin with, and when I'm tired from work, I really don't want to cook.  So I keep a couple of frozen convenience foods on hand.  I try to keep the semi-healthy ones, and the one we had last night was Amy's Cheese Enchiladas.

Product Info
Amy's Cheese Enchiladas come as two enchiladas frozen in sauce.  The picture on the front of the box is pretty off, as most frozen dinner pictures are.  On the box, it states the following:
- Made with Organic Corn and Tomatoes
- Gluten Free
- No GMO's
- No Added MSG
- No Preservatives
- All dairy ingredients are made with pasteurized, rBST hormone-free milk and do not contain animal enzymes or animal rennet.

I like all of those statements made about the product.  Makes me feel better about serving a frozen convenience food for our dinner.

Preparing
The enchiladas come in a box, with a tray inside.  I actually removed the food from the tray prior to cooking, as I don't usually microwave food in the trays they come in if at all possible.  This does alter the final product a bit, but not in a way that makes it bad.

There are microwave and oven directions on the box.  In the oven, it takes nearly an hour, so I opted for the microwave.  This method I tweaked since I'd removed the food from the packaging, and separated and flipped the two individual enchiladas about half-way through.  I also used a plate cover as it began to splatter pretty fast.  I recommend using one even if you microwave it in the original packaging.

Appearance and Texture
Amy's Cheese Enchiladas have a good bit of sauce, more than what you see on the picture on the box.  The sauce is also darker, more of a chili-colored sauce.  They put very tiny cheese pieces scattered on top of the enchiladas, and nothing that really adds to the meal at all.

The corn tortillas are pretty soft and not too gritty or grainy.  I don't always care for corn tortillas, due to the texture, but these are good.  The cheesey insides do tend to ooze out as it cooks, and if it's not thoroughly heated, the very center will have unmelted cheese.   So microwaving on a lower power setting for longer is recommended from my experience.

Flavor
With the first bite of Amy's Cheese Enchiladas we were in love with the flavor!  You can taste the quality ingredients used.  You can tell it's good, real cheese.  It has a fresh taste you rarely get with frozen foods.  My hubby was raving about them all evening and even into the next morning!  He rarely raves about convenience foods like that!  I thought they were particularly delicious as well.

The flavor is very mildly spicy.  There aren't many green chiles in the cheese, but there is plenty of cheese!  The sauce is also goood, not a bit of a chemical taste to it.  Overall, the flavor is very salty, though, so be prepared for thirst after eating!

Ingredient and Nutritional Information
This is a gluten-free food and has nothing artificial or questionable in it.  The corn is organic, as are a bunch of other ingredients.  I suggest looking at the actual product for the ingredient list for any specific concerns.

From a nutritional standpoint, the only real bad thing is the sodium.  A serving size is actually only one enchilada (there are two per package) and that one has 240 calories, 14g of fat (6g saturated), 30mg cholesterol, and a whopping 40mg of sodium.  The good part is that it also has 3g of fiber, 9g protein, and 25% of your daily value of calcium.  You can expect some bad points, as it's very cheesy, but it could also be worse.

Final Verdict
I don't like how expensive Amy's Cheese Enchiladas are.  I was lucky that I happened upon a good sale, half price on these.  Normally, they're over $4.00 for a box!  And one box is not enough for my hubby's appetite.  So to have just these for dinner, at regular price, is a bit much.  I'm really hoping to find them on sale again, because they really do taste great.

Amy's Black Bean & Vegetable Enchilada, Light in Sodium, Organic, 9.5-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 12)

This delicious Mexican entree is made with organic tortillas, black beans and a medley of organic vegetables; it contains 190 mg of sodium compared to...
Natural High Cheese Enchilada Ranchero Serves 2

Natural High Cheese Enchilada Ranchero Serves 2

Food and Cooking Water and Purification Survival Gear Garden Emergency Kits Cheese Enchilada Ranchero Serves 2 Natural Cheese Enchilada Ranchero is a ...

Natural High Cheese Enchilada Ranchero Serves 2 Freeze Dried Camping Food

Natural High Cheese Enchilada Ranchero Serves 2 Freeze Dried Camping Food

Natural High Cheese Enchilada Ranchero Serves 2 Freeze Dried Camping Food Natural Cheese Enchilada Ranchero is a delightful blend of soft tortillas, M...

Natural High Cheese Enchilada Ranchero 2-serving Freeze Dried Camping Food

Natural High Cheese Enchilada Ranchero 2-serving Freeze Dried Camping Food

BRAND NEW Natural High Freeze Dried Camping Food Cheese Enchilada Ranchero 2 Servings. Great tasting freeze dried food!Two 1.25 cup servings Weighs ap...

Carb Counters Soup Mix, Chicken Cheese Enchilada

Carb Counters Soup Mix, Chicken Cheese Enchilada

Dixie Diner Carb Counters Soup Mix Like having your own instant Bistro... Each box contains 8 individual serving pouches perfect for grab and go work ...
Netrition.com

Amy's Organic Cream Of Tomato Low Fat Soup, 14.5 oz (Pack of 12)

Amy's Organic Cream Of Tomato Low Fat Soup, 14.5 oz (Pack of 12)

Amy's Organic Cream Of Tomato Low Fat Soup is made from organic sun-ripened tomatoes slowly simmered to bring out their natural sweetness.

Soap.com

Desert Gardens Red Enchilada Stew

Rich with red chiles, tomatoes and the perfect Southwestern spices, this Red Enchilada Stew is delicious.

Soups Online