Anchor Hocking Glass Refrigerator Storage Container (12-cup) Reviews

Anchor Hocking Glass Refrigerator Storage Container (12-cup)

(12-cup) Glass Refrigerator Storage Container

Jul 19, 2008 (Updated Jul 19, 2008)

Pros:I like the nostalgia

Cons:Heavy, not a bad thing, but hard for me to lift

The Bottom Line: Attractive glass lid protects food and keeps nice and fresh. See through containers are very handy for noting how much is left and what it is, is in that box.

Anchor Hocking (12-cup) Glass Refrigerator Storage Container

I collect Depression era glass. Anchor Hocking is a well known name of many years long standing in the creation of glass and glassware products. I do have a piece or two of the old –refrigerator boxes, culled from jumble shop searching, they are decorative, and I never use, don’t want to hazard breakage. I was delighted to find Anchor Hocking again producing refrigerator food storage boxes today.

This large Anchor Hocking (12-cup) Glass Refrigerator Storage Container , reminds me very much of the –ice box- storage boxes my auntie used. I did not know my grandmother, she died when I was four. Daddy’s older sister Mattie was so like a grandmother to me.

Finding and using this lovely clear, twelve cup, box with lid, reminds me of Aunt Mattie each time I get it out. I like the nostalgia. Measuring 9" x 9" square, and 3 1/3" in height the box is perfect for making a layered jello, or baking and storing a nice little layer cake. Caution: when filled with food these 12 cup, heavy glass containers can be quite heavy.

I have arthritis, and have lessening strength in arms, wrists and hands: I use smaller size boxes for left overs most times.

The attractive glass lid protects food in the refrigerator or keeps the cake on the table nice and fresh. Because the containers are glass, see through, they are very handy for noting how much is left and what it is, is in that box.

These all glass containers are beautiful and most functional for home use. In view of the fact that the lids do not snap fit and are not air tight/liquid tight; refrigerator storage boxes will not be as functional for lunchbox use. Even if lids are secured; glass is breakable, I would not use in lunch box for child or adult.

Anchor Hocking generates a broad line of glassware. The glass used to generate these refrigerator boxes is serviceable, durable and handsome. The vertical ribbed lines lend much to the old time feel of the product. Although many of the old time lids were completed with an attractive, raised cluster of flowers, stalk of celery and the like, and these are plain, ribbed and see through.

I like that Anchor Hocking Glass Refrigerator Storage Containers in all sizes are dishwasher safe. If needed, hand washing is accomplished with ease. Not much sticks to the glass. Anchor Hocking Glass Refrigerator Storage Containers are most versatile, can be used in refrigerator, are Microwave safe.

A depressed, thumb lift in center of the lid makes for easy removal. Caution: as with all glass on glass lids and rims of glass containers are subject to chips.

I am very happy with Anchor Hocking’s (12-cup) Glass Refrigerator Storage Container . The 12 cup/large blank container based on the original design from the 1930s is stackable, dishwasher, freezer, microwave and oven safe and is attractive, serviceable, nostalgic glass. Happy to recommend.

===========================

• Material: Glass

Product Description
Crystal glass storage containers with glass lid. No. 85694S: 12 cup

Product Details
• Shipping Weight: 5 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
• ASIN: B000LNW3OC
$10.42 In Stock.
Ships from and sold by BIC Superstore.

=========================================

Note: danger from chemical leaching is absent.
Glass containers provide versatility: can be used in oven and refrigerator, doing the job of two containers. No need for separate bakeware and refrigerator storage unit.
Glass will not stain as does plastic.
Can go directly from refrigerator to oven or microwave
Perfect for storing left over foods.

=================================================
NOTE: years of study re Depression Era glass is the basis for :

Developing from a insignificant glass company formed at the turn of the century, when it went into receivership in 1905, Lancaster Carbon Company, Lancaster, Ohio, was purchased by Isaac Collins and six friends for $8,000, Anchor Hocking today is a major generator of glass products having world wide distribution.

Named for the nearby Hocking River, the company which came to be known as Black Cat made and sold $20,000 in glassware during their first year in production.

Anchor Hocking Plant No. 1, Lancaster, Ohio, is situated on the site of the original plant, the "Black Cat," which was destroyed by fire in 1924.

Expansion and innovation kept the company in business from the early days, through the fire, through the Great Depression, and into the 21th century when the company fell upon hard times as the economy began to again tighten.

Anchor Hocking
Pierce Avenue
Lancaster, Ohio 43130

Anchor Hocking 5-c. Glass Refrigerator Storage Container

Anchor Hocking 5-c. Glass Refrigerator Storage Container

Cooking eBay Listing Page Store Home Cookware Bakeware Cutlery Electrics Cooks Tools Dinnerware Organization Cookware Bakeware Cutlery Electrics Cooks...

Food Storage Containers Anchor Hocking Glass Refrigerator Container 2 Cup Size

Food Storage Containers Anchor Hocking Glass Refrigerator Container 2 Cup Size

You always go back to what works, like storing food the fresh way using vintage-style glass Storage Containers from Anchor Hocking. Stackable, tidy gl...

Anchor Hocking 16 Pc. Kitchen Storage Set w/ Red Plastic Lids

Anchor Hocking 16 Pc. Kitchen Storage Set w/ Red Plastic Lids

The Anchor Hocking 16-Piece Kitchen Food Storage Set with Red Lids comes with glass vessels in various shapes and sizes for neat, organized and conven...

Anchor Hocking TrueSeal Rectangle Glass Storage Set, 6-Piece - red set of 3 w/lids

Canisters & Food Storage - The compression-style lid technology of these stackable TrueSeal glass containers allows airtight freshness and spillproof ...
CHEFS Catalog

Anchor Hocking 10 Piece Square Storage Set

Anchor Hocking 10 Piece Square Storage Set

Anchor Hocking 10 Piece Square Storage Set. With Anchor Hocking storage set you can take leftovers straight from the fridge to the microwave. The set ...

Bake 'N Keep Storage Container By Anchor Hocking

Bake 'N Keep Storage Container By Anchor Hocking

12Cup Storage Container: Refrigerator Storage Glass
Anchor Hocking 15-piece Bake Set Clear

Anchor Hocking 15-piece Bake Set Clear

This 15-piece bake set from Anchor Hocking is the perfect kitchen starter set for your baking needs. Constructed of clear glass, this set makes it eas...
Overstock.com

Bake 'N Keep Storage Container By Anchor Hocking (Pack Of 2)

Bake 'N Keep Storage Container By Anchor Hocking (Pack Of 2)

5Cup Storage Container: Refrigerator Storage Glass
Anchor Hocking 82643 Glass Bakeware Set 11pc

Anchor Hocking 82643 Glass Bakeware Set 11pc

Anchor Hocking 82643 glass bakeware set 11pc. Includes 8” square cake dish, 9.5” deep pie dish, 1.5 quart loaf pan, 16 ounce measuring cup, 1-quar...
Goodmans
Anchor Hocking Glass Storage Container 4 Cup Capacity Bar Food Home Kitchen Cont

Buy With 100% Confidence Fast Shipping !! Brand New!! Check Other Great Sales | Read our Feedbacks | Add us to Favorite Sellers Item Description: This...