Apple Magic Mouse (MB829LL/A)

Magic functionality, dire battery life

Sep 18, 2010 (Updated Sep 18, 2010)

Pros:Nice design
Solid
Works as advertised
Bluetooth so keeps a USB port free

Cons:Terrible battery life
Needs getting used to
Expensive

The Bottom Line: It does work well, but having to change the battery every three weeks is a pain. I would not buy another one, unless the battery life improves.

I got an Apple Magic Mouse with my brand new iMac 21.5".  At first, the Magic mouse took over from my beloved Logitech Trackman Wheel.  Then, after 6 months of iMac use, I'm back using my Trackman Wheel!

I'll explain why in this review.

Construction and Design

Apple's Magic Mouse is solid and well built, and looks good on your desk.

Use

Like traditional computer mice, the Magic Mouse needs a mouse-pad, and will not work too well unless you have a nice smooth desk.

You move your computer's cursor by moving the Magic Mouse around your desk.

Dragging your finger up and down the smooth surface of the Magic Mouse makes it function as a scroll wheel, and this is very good, and works very well.  I like this feature a lot.

Flicking two fingers left or right moves you back and forward between web pages.  It works, but not too well for me.

Battery Life is Poor

The Magic Mouse works via a Bluetooth connection and connects to my iMac easily, until the batteries - two, AA size, run down.  And this is the big problem.  This variety of mouse loves batteries, it seems to get through them like there is no tomorrow, or at least that is what I have found.

I've got a couple of 2100 mAh Varta rechargeable batteries, and you will need something similar.  In fact, get four rechargeable batteries, then you will always have a spare pair in reserve.  You will need them.

Maybe I have a defective Magic Mouse - but everything else works.

Actually, I've got so sick of the Magic Mouse's battery running down that I'm back using my, USB cable connected Logitech Trackman Wheel, which I prefer, especially seeing as it does not need a mouse-pad.

The plus side is that the BlueTooth connection keeps a USB port free, which might be important for some people.

Apple MB829LL/A Magic Mouse - mouse

Apple MB829LL/A Magic Mouse - mouse

Apple Magic Mouse - Mouse - laser - wireless - Bluetooth - for iMac MacBook Pro
PCM

Apple MB829LL/A Magic Mouse

Apple MB829LL/A Magic Mouse

The same Multi-Touch technology first introduced on the revolutionary iPhone comes to the mouse. It's called Magic Mouse and it's the world's first M...
MacMall
Apple Magic Mouse - White (MB829LL/A)

Apple Magic Mouse - White (MB829LL/A)

Find computer and video game controllers at Target.com! The apple mb829ll/a magic mouse has a multi-touch area that allows you to click or swipe anywh...

Apple Magic Mouse Mb829ll/a Bluetooth A1296 Wireless

Apple Magic Mouse Mb829ll/a Bluetooth A1296 Wireless

MAGIC MOUSE Description: Sealed New Magic Mouse Payment Accepted: Paypal Only Shipping: Priority Express Mail Terms: 14 Days Return Policy Product Inf...

Apple Magic White Mouse - MB829LL/A

Apple Magic White Mouse - MB829LL/A

Multi-Touch Technology/ One-Button Design/ Laser Tracking Engine/ Bluetooth Technology Works Up To 33 Feet Away/ Ambidextrous Construction/ White Fini...
Abt Electronics

Apple Wired Mouse - MB112LL/B

Apple Wired Mouse - MB112LL/B

360-Degree Scrolling Capability/ Touch-Sensitive Top Shell/ Force-Sensing Side Buttons/ Customizable/ Optical Tracking/ White Finish
Abt Electronics