Aquaphor Healing Ointment

Aquaphor: Good on Minor Burns, Eczema, and Diaper Rash

Jul 28, 2006

Pros:heals seriously irritated skin quickly, no scent, highly moisturizing

Cons:greasy, a little pricey for everyday use

The Bottom Line: I need to buy a tube of this stuff for the next time I burn myself... cause there will be a next time.

A few weeks ago, I was cooking and managed to get my forearm stuck inside the oven door. When I pulled it out, I saw I’d scorched an oval shape onto my skin. I didn’t overreact. I ran it under lukewarm water and tried to remember where I left my bottle of aloe vera gel. But I did tell my husband that it felt worse than my usual burns. “How often do you burn yourself?” he asked. I just smiled. I’ve lost count.

I am a clutz. I admit it. My family acknowledges it. I try to warn others when I meet them. Needless to say, that was not my first cooking injury and it will certainly not be my last. Usually, I can get away with just applying some aloe vera gel on my wounds for about a week, and let them heal on their own. This time, though, my skin started peeling after a couple of days and I needed something thicker and more soothing to treat my burn. The new skin underneath was red and sensitive and the peeling skin wasn’t completely off. I racked my brain and looted the linen closet and medicine cabinet. What I came up with was a small sample-size tube of Aquaphor. The name sounded familiar (I think my mom used to use it on my sister’s diaper rash years ago) and the tube said it was good for minor cuts and burns and safe on sensitive skin. There is a warning to not apply it on third degree burns or deep wounds, but I didn’t feel my burn was quite that serious.

THE BASICS
Aquaphor is a thick healing ointment for “dry, cracked, or irritated skin.” Its active ingredient is petrolatum and in many ways it reminds me of good ol’ fashioned petroleum jelly. It is fragrance free and clear in color. It is greasy and creates a barrier on the skin rather than being quickly absorbed. I believe it comes in either a plastic jar or a tube. Drugstore.com sells a 1.75 oz. tube for about $6. I got my .25 oz. sample tube for free by mail.

INGREDIENTS
Active Ingredients: Petrolatum

Inactive Ingredients: Mineral Oil, Ceresin, Lanolin Alcohol, Panthenol, Glycerin, Bisabolol

MY EXPERIENCE
I applied a small amount of Aquaphor on my burn about 2 or 3 times a day for several days. With each application, my new skin felt soothed and the peeling soon stopped. The thick ointment created a sort-of protective layer over my red, raw skin and it didn’t feel tight and itchy like new skin sometimes does.

Since Aquaphor was working so well on my burn, I decided to try it on my daughter. She had developed a rash on the back of her neck that I couldn’t explain. It looked like eczema and I think it started when she was playing with some flowers. The rash ended up covering her neck, shoulders, and upper back. I started putting aloe vera gel on it to moisturize her skin and a little anti-itch cream once a day to stop her from scratching it and re-irritating it. But after a week, the rash was still there and had gotten worse. I brought her to the pediatrician who didn’t seem concerned by it and told me to continue using the aloe vera gel and hydrocortisone cream. Since that procedure didn’t seem to be working, I took matters into my own hands and replaced that combo with Aquaphor three times a day. By the next day, I saw improvement. Within three days, the rash was almost completely gone.

I had the chance to see Aquaphor in action a third time recently. After those two successes, I still had the tube out on our bookshelf (where all of the health products I’m using on a daily basis end up getting stashed). My daughter had a messy bowel movement not long ago and when I went to wipe her with a baby wipe, she howled in pain and squirmed. I noticed her bottom was red and raw. The few other times she’s had diaper rash that bad, I’ve had to clean her with cotton balls and baby oil at every changing for a week and apply petroleum jelly on her bottom alternated with Desitin and/or Balmex several times a day. This time I was able to continue using the wipes. Though she complained the first time and I ended up just sticking her in the bath, after that, she didn’t get upset at changings. I applied a little Aquaphor after each cleaning for a couple of days and she was good as new in no time. I didn’t need to pull out the cotton balls and oil and I didn’t need to wash her two times a day. I was able to continue using the usually irritating wipes without any complaints from her.

Usually, when my daughter has diaper rash, her skin will get re-irritated when she urinates and I end up having to change her a lot more often and needed to layer on thick ointments. A little bit of Aquaphor was all I needed. Yes, it is thick and sticky and I had to use lots of soap to wash it off my hands, but because of that quality, it created a barrier on my daughter’s skin that kept out the wetness and allowed her bottom to heal.

OVERALL
This stuff worked on my minor/slightly serious burn and on both my daughter’s itchy eczema and her irritating diaper rash. It’s unscented and creates a protective layer that allows skin the time to heal itself. Though it is greasy, it is powerful stuff for when you really need a serious ointment.

FROM THE MANUFACTURER
Aquaphor® Healing Ointment protects skin to help enhance the natural healing process. Non-irritating and fragrance-free, it is dermatologist recommended for:
• cracked, dry or chafed skin; and chapped lips
• minor cuts and burns
• sensitive skin
• skin irritations from laser treatments and radiation therapy

Dermatologist Recommended

Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment 3 Ounce

Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment 3 Ounce

Keep your little one's skin protected with the Eucerin Baby Aquaphor Healing Ointment, 3 ounce. Recommended by dermatologists and pediatricians, this ...
Toys R Us

Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment 3 oz

Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment  3 oz
Eucerin Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment 3 oz Ointment

Eucerin Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment 3 oz Ointment

Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment 3 oz Ointment - Aquaphor Healing Ointment for babies is Eucerin's dermatologist- and pediatrician-recommended formula t...
Swanson Health Products

Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment - 3 Ounce

Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment - 3 Ounce

Powered by Frooition Pro Action Figures Arts Crafts Bikes, Scooters Riding Toys Building Sets Blocks Dolls Stuffed Animals Electronics Games Puzzles L...

Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment Advanced Therapy By Eucerin (1) 3oz Tube

Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment Advanced Therapy By Eucerin (1) 3oz Tube

Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment - 3oz Tube Advanced Healing for dry, cracked, or irritated skin -Ideal for all babies' skin care needs, Aquaphor Healin...

Aquaphor Healing Advanced Therapy For Dry, Cracked, Or Irritated Skin, Ointment, 14 oz

Aquaphor Advanced Therapy Healing Ointment is a simple and effective solution for dry, cracked and irritated skin. Clinical testing has shown that it ...

Aquaphor Healing Ointment  14 oz Jar