Aquaphor Healing Ointment Reviews

Aquaphor Healing Ointment

Healing after Surgery -- Aquaphor Helped!

Dec 11, 2008

Pros:smooth ointment, clear, no odor, easy to apply, a little goes a long way

Cons:leaves skin feeling tacky, some might think Aquaphor is expensive

The Bottom Line: My doctors recommended Aquaphor for my after surgery care, and I'm glad they did.

This has been a challenging health year ... and not only for me.  Seems like everyone I've spoken with has had a health issue, or knows someone with a serious health problem.  This year I have had two surgeries.  The two doctors I saw recommended I use Aquaphor Healing Ointment.  Here's the story.

Description

This product is from Eucerin.  It comes in a plastic 1.75 ounce tube.  The bottom of the tube has a cap with a flat top so that the tube can stand upright.  This product is available without prescription.

Aquaphor is a thick, clear gel with no odor.  The tube is labeled "Advanced Therapy ... For dry, cracked, or irritated Skin ... Clinically proven to restore smooth, healthy skin".  The product is also labeled as Dermatologist Recommended.

This product is design to protect minor cuts, scrapes and burns.  It is also temporary relief for chapped or cracked skin/lips, and it will help protect the skin from wind and cold.

My Experiences

The first surgery I had this year involved a skin graft on my face.  I was a bit concerned since the area affected was on the side of my nose.  You can imagine what I was envisioning never having had facial surgery.  A coworker also had some face surgery (to remove skin cancer), and when he returned to work, he had three impressive scars.  I'm not vain, but I also wanted to look presentable.  I did not have to worry.  My surgeon was exceptional.  I left the office with part of my face wrapped with enough bandages to cover a mummy, and I had after-surgery care instructions.

My second surgery this year was on my upper arm.  Before the surgeon entered the room, the technician took one look at the area and said, "Oh!  That's going to leave a big scar."  Just what I wanted to hear.  The surgery went well, and I left the office sporting a pressure bandage and after-surgery care instructions.

Both surgeons recommended that I use Aquaphor.  I had asked if I could treat the area with Vaseline instead of Aquaphor since the two products seemed similar.  I was told that Aquaphor had an additive that made it a better healing product.  One surgeon also told me not to use Vitamin E oil or cream to treat the scar; instead use the Aquaphor.

Aquaphor is a thick clear gel.  As the tube contains less gel, it is more difficult to convince the remaining gel to squeeze free since it is so thick.  I like it that this product has no odor and goes on "invisibly".  I squirt a bit onto my fingers and massage it onto the area that needs attention.  The gel somewhat absorbs into the skin.  However, it does leave a slightly tacky feel on the hands, and my skin has a "shiny" look after using it.  I have never had this product stain clothing.

I used this product per doctor instructions after my surgeries and have been using it periodically since then.  (I applied it more often the few months after the surgeries, beyond the time stipulated by the doctor.  It's a non-prescription ointment.)

It has been nine months since the facial surgery, and my nose looks great.  Only someone looking carefully at my face would detect where the skin graft is located.  The technician was right about the scar resulting from the second surgery that happened about six months ago.  It spans the width of my upper arm and is not pretty.  However, I do believe the Aquaphor has helped the healing process.  One of my theories is that gently massaging the ointment into the scarred area also helps to breakdown the scar tissue.  The arm scar is smoother, and I'm still seeing improvement as it continues to heal.

A benefit of Aquaphor is that the tube lasts a long time.  A little of this ointment goes a long way.

Ingredients & Cautions

Active Ingredient: Petrolatum (41%)

Inactive Ingredients:  Mineral Oil, Ceresin, Lanolin Alcohol, Panthenol, Glycerin, Bisabolol

Do not use on deep wounds, puncture wounds, animal bites or serious burns.  For external use only.  Do not get product in the eyes.

Purchasing

A 1.75 ounce tube of Aquaphor from my local pharmacy costs $5.49.

Summary

I never would have thought to use Aquaphor Healing Ointment if not for the suggestion from my two doctors.  Both highly recommended it, and it's been working well for me.  Now let's hope next year is all smooth sailing!

Enjoy the day,
Dawn

Please read my other reviews:

Neosporin Plus Pain Relief Ointment