-14%
Arm and Hammer Arm & Hammer Cat Litter Deodorizer (20oz Box) Reviews

Arm and Hammer Arm & Hammer Cat Litter Deodorizer (20oz Box)

+$9.95 shipping Newegg.com
+$4.99 shipping Wayfair

Strong Arm & Hammer the Kitty Odor!

Oct 31, 2007 (Updated Oct 31, 2007)

Pros:Easy to use, fairly inexpensive, and works!

Cons:Doesn’t last forever; re-sprinkle daily.

The Bottom Line: Why are kitties are so clean, but leave such smells? Here’s some help!

Sometimes I knowingly decide to succumb to a marketing ploy; and I’m O.K. with it. I’ll decide to spend extra money on a product when I’m pretty sure something cheaper would do just as well. I admit it.

This could happen if the box is particularly cute, there’s not much money involved, and when I have just the teensiest hope that the product might really be better than the generic or ‘home-grown’ solution I had in mind.

This was one of those times.

I was perfectly confident that Arm & Hammer baking soda would work just as well to deodorize kitty litter as the Arm & Hammer baking soda that had a cat on the front of the box. Arm & Hammer baking soda: 50 cents. Arm & Hammer baking soda with a cat on the box: $2.50.

But it’s a cute cat. And it says ‘cat litter deodorizer’, right there on the box. No cooking recipes, and nothing about putting it in your refrigerator.

I decided to waste two bucks, chuckled at my stupidity, and silently congratulated Arm & Hammer for effective packaging.

I try to admit when I'm wrong, and I was wrong! This stuff is great! Of course, not only did I have low expectations, I had no expectations.

Our kitty litter box is in the laundry room, so it’s a small area that can become malodorous fast. It’s also a place where I’d prefer our clothes not absorb the aroma of cat urine!

One sweeping sprinkle of the stuff across the top of the litter, and the smell was gone. Really. Not perfumed; gone.

Of course, that’s not the way you’re supposed to use it. You’re to cover the bottom of a clean litter box, add the litter, sprinkle the deodorizer on top of that, and mix it in. I’ve since done all that, and it’s great. Nonetheless, I did get my ‘quick fix’ with just a sprinkle to start.

Now, each time I do the daily scoop, I just add a bit more, do a quick ‘mix’ with the scooper, and it’s fresh again. I do have to do this daily, or the deodorizing effect diminishes. It only takes a small amount, however, so the box lasts a long time. It also works with all types of kitty litters.

I wondered what made this product different from regular baking soda. I looked at the Arm & Hammer site (http://www.armhammerpets.com/deodorizer.aspx ) and this is what I found:

What are the ingredients in ARM & HAMMER® Cat Litter Deodorizer?
Cat Litter Deodorizer contains 96% odor-fighting ingredients including genuine ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda as well as a specially formulated moisture-activated fragrance. An additional ingredient is a high-grade flowing agent that keeps the Cat Litter Deodorizer flowing freely out of the package. Also included is an ingredient to keep litter from sticking to the box, making clean up easier.

Sounds like they’re keeping some sort of ‘secret recipe’.

Arm & Hammer states that the scent is ‘moisture-activated’, refreshing litter every time your cat uses the litter box. I can’t say that it miraculously releases fresh air scents with each poop, but it does smell better.

They also claim a ‘patented technology’ helps prevent urine clumps from sticking to the litter box. I’ll give them this; there is less ‘yuck-iness’ attached to the box. I laugh to think of my cat pooping on ‘patented technology’ though.

Of primary importance to me is that my cat doesn’t mind! In fact, this aromatic addition to his box doesn’t seem to bother him at all. Also, I don’t find the smell of the deodorizer overly perfumed, and evidently my cat doesn’t either. It’s more of a fresh scent, which is infinitely better than the untreated, uhm…, ‘un-fresh’ scent we had before.

So, unless you are particularly sensitive to perfumed, scented products, I’d recommend this for anyone who has a feline friend with an indoor bathroom in their home!

Thanks for reading!
Becky

20 oz.. Add to cat litter. Deodorizes with fresh scent of baking soda. Boxed .
ARM & HAMMER 15020 Features: -Cat litter deodorizer.-Keep cat odors from taking over your home with arm and hammer cat litter deodorizer.-Absorbing bo...
Wayfair