Arrow Plastic Primary Fork & Spoon

Arrow Plastic Primary Fork & Spoon - Great "no longer a baby" utensil set

Nov 29, 2002 (Updated Jan 15, 2003)

Pros:Sturdy, Plastic, Inexpensive, Great for kids and not babyish

Cons:big spoon bowl, 3 tined fork?

The Bottom Line: A great compromise for a little kid who wants to use adult flatware.

My almost two year old son has recently become more and more interested in actually using utensils when he eats as opposed to just picking everything up with his hands. In the past, I'd kept a small travel fork and spoon set in a cute little case in our diaper bag for when we eat outside of our home. Our portable baby utensils served us nicely up until recently when my son proclaimed a protest against using them. I don't blame him, really, as he is now a big boy and would like to eat with the same types of silverware that Mom and Dad use. But, as it goes, I don't trust him with adult forks or knives and many spoons are either too large, long or heavy - they can be quite unweildy. Cheapo plastic utensils that many fast food places give out can be either too sharp or easily broken.

Call me crazy, but I was rather excited to be turned on to the Arrow Plastic Primary Fork & Spoon set recently by Epinions member Freak369. Looking at them I had a feeling that they'd be a big hit with my son who was outgrowing baby utensils but not yet ready for the grown up stuff.

All about the Arrow Plastic Primary Fork & Spoon

Colors
The Arrow Plastic Primary Fork & Spoon come in bright primary colors (hence the name) - in blue, red, yellow or green. We have a set in green and also a set in red. The bright colors make them appealing to a toddler, preschooler or young child and also easy to spot or locate when dropped or misplaced. Let's face it, these are just a lot more exciting than the standard white or clear plastic that is commonly associated with plastic fare.

Size
The Arrow Plastic Primary Fork & Spoon are slightly smaller than a standard utensil but sized comparably to plastic cutlery. My son really enjoys eating with the Arrow Plastic Primary Fork & Spoon because of the size, they are almost like "grown-up" utensils. Ok, maybe not "grown up", but definitely "Big Kid" which is important to a 2 year old.

Styling
Handles
The handles of the Arrow Plastic Primary Fork & Spoon are really neat looking. They are slightly wider than a traditional fork or spoon at about an inch from side from side. Each of the handles is grooved on both the front and back with 3 grooves on the back and 4 on the front. The grooves allow for the spoon and fork to be nested and click together one on top of the other (doesn't matter which way). This is super for both travel and storage purposes because when snapped together the 2 utensils take up very little space. Also, in a pinch, these utensils can provide a bit of entertainment for a toddler who is intrigued by the fact that the spoon and fork can click together almost like blocks. This saved me on a recent trip where we were waiting a bit too long for our food to be served while out at a restaurant.

Spoon
The spoonbowl is sized somewhere in between a teaspoon and a soupspoon. Some small children might find this bowl to simply be too big. My son appears to enjoy the oversized spoon quite a bit but has to open his mouth pretty darn wide to accomodate it. If I could make one improvement to this spoon and fork set it would be to make the spoonbowl a touch smaller which would make it more "little kid" friendly.

Fork
I was baffled at first by this fork because I couldn't figure out what was "wrong" with it. Then I realized that its because it only has 3 tines, instead of the normal 4 tines that normal forks have. Having only 3 tines does not impact the functionality of this fork one bit, nor does my son seem to notice or care. The tines are sturdy and sharp but not dangerously so. They do a good job at conquering any kiddie cuisine that gets in their way.

Price
The Arrow Plastic Primary Fork & Spoon can be found at your local Walmart and the set sells for under a $1 dollar. To me this is a super value and also a convenience. If I should leave one of these behind while dining out, its really not a big deal. My other set of baby utensils cost a few dollars and one time I left the fork behind it kind of bummed me out plus my wallet because I had to go and shell out for a replacement.

Cleaning
Everything goes in the dishwasher in our house, including the Arrow Plastic Primary Fork & Spoon . They have not melted when washed in the top rack (we use a small basket for items such as these). I am not 100% sure if they are officially dishwasher safe, but should one get messed up we can easily replace it. If you are concerned, just stick with washing them by hand.

Overall
We've found a winner with the Arrow Plastic Primary Fork & Spoon and use them both at home and while we are out. The product is not only durable but a great value and one that my son enjoys using. For less and a dollar per set, how can you go wrong?

For more info:

Also check out Freak369's review of this same product which includes some valuable info on the versatility and friendliness of the product towards a child with special needs:

Plastic Utensils 48-ct. Packs 16 Forks Spoons & Knives Pink . Bar

Plastic Utensils 48-ct. Packs 16 Forks Spoons & Knives Pink . Bar

Product Details: Plastic Utensils, 48-ct. Packs (16 Forks, 16 Spoons 16 Knives) (Pink, Plastic Avoid washing silverware after a large gathering with e...

Fork & Spoon Wall Decor - Set of 2

Fork & Spoon Wall Decor - Set of 2

This set of oversized metal wall decor features a scalloped pattern spoon and fork in antiqued pink and blue finishes. ;Features: Materials: 100% Iron...
Toy Story Set Of 18 Plastic Forks & Spoons Dishwasher-safe Free Us Shipping

Toy Story Set Of 18 Plastic Forks & Spoons Dishwasher-safe Free Us Shipping

New Page 1 New Page 1 Toy Story Forks Spoons Set of 3 Packages (Total of 9 forks 9 spoons) The fork spoons are made with plastic that is strong, durab...

Toddler ZoLi Fork & Spoon Set

Toddler ZoLi Fork & Spoon Set

With easy-grip, ergonomic handles and a wide, scooped design, this fork and spoon set is perfect for little ones learning to feed themselves. An inclu...
Nordstrom

Choice Medium Weight White Plastic Fork, Spoon, Knife Cutlery Kit in Poly Wrap 500 / Case

This Choice cutlery pack comes wrapped in a clear poly wrapper for a sanitary and convenient solution to providing disposable flatware. Each individua...
WebstaurantStore
Plastic Fork and Spoon Set (8 each)

Plastic Fork and Spoon Set (8 each)

Find disposable tableware set at Target.com! Plastic fork and spoon set (8 each)
Gap Plastic Rubber Lunch Container Saver Fork & Spoon Orange Color

Gap Plastic Rubber Lunch Container Saver Fork & Spoon Orange Color

plastic & rubber lunch saver snap top snap section on the lid with a fork & spoon combo measures approx 6 x 7 inches orange

ZoLi Fork & Spoon Set

ZoLi Fork & Spoon Set

ZoLi's cute and colorful feeding set is designed with easy-grip handles and a wide bowl, making them easy for little ones to use.

Plain Fork, Spoon - Baby's Petite Silver Flatware by Reed & BartonPersonalized

Plain Fork, Spoon - Baby's Petite Silver Flatware by Reed & BartonPersonalized

Commemorate the birth or christening of a child with this elegantly designed sterling silver set. Includes fork and spoon. 4 1/2 Long. Handmade in the...
Ross-Simons