Atkins All Purpose Baking Mix

Atkins Cuisine All Purpose Baking Mix Review

Sep 1, 2011

Pros:Low Carb, Easy to Use

Cons:blah taste

The Bottom Line: Atkins Cuisine All Purpose Baking mix - Has some value but the waffles did not taste that great.

I decided to try Atkins Cuisine All Purpose Baking Mix because my husband and I both have blood sugar issues. What this means is that neither of us can have a lot of sugar, or starchy carbs. So things like breads, pancakes, cookies etc are off our menu unless we can find alternatives

What's in Atkins Cuisine All Purpose Baking Mix

Ingredients are provided as a convenience for consumers. Accuracy can not be guaranteed by Epinions or the Author. Please be aware that changes to ingredients can be made over time so to get the most accurate and up to date information please contact the manufacture.

Ingredients:   Wheat Gluten, Whole Grain Soy Flour, Modified Wheat Starch, and Unprocessed Wheat Bran

Nutritional Facts:
Serving Size 1/3 cup, 150 Calories, 4.5g fat, 0.5g Saturated Fat, 0mg Cholesterol, 25mg Sodium, 11g Total Carbohydrates, 6g Fiber, 1 g Sugar, 20g Protein

Description:
When I opened the package it looks like any other baking mix and smells like a baking mix too. It is soft and slightly yellow in color. It does not contain extra ingredients like baking powder or salt so these need to be added.

Caution: contains wheat and soy and is made in a plant where tree nuts, eggs and milk are used

Ease of use (5 stars)

I tried the waffle recipe that was printed on the Atkins Cuisine all purpose baking mix.  I had to add 1/4 tsp of salt and 2 tsps of of baking powder, plus a packet of splenda to 1 cup of the Atkins Cuisine all purpose baking mix. Then I added 1 cup of half and half and an egg. After mixing all the ingredients it has to sit for at least five minutes to activate the baking powder.

The mixture looked lumpier and thicker than other prepared baking mixes and had a weird smell that reminded me of vegetables. I am guessing it was the soy, but at that point I was beginning to worry that the waffles would taste like veggies instead of waffles.

After the mixture sat for five minutes I poured it into my waffle iron which I had sprayed some cooking spray on and had preheated. While it was cooking I leaned over to see if the steam coming out smelled like veggies and surprisingly it smelled pretty much like any other waffles cooking so I was hopeful

When they were done cooking they came right out of my waffle iron without any sticking or mess. Clean up was easy.

I used a Belgium waffle maker and this recipe made two of these larger sized waffles. Click here to read the review of my waffle maker

Taste of Waffles made with Atkins Cuisine All Purpose Baking Mix (2.5stars)

I have to say that the waffles were not that great. I was kinda disappointed in the taste. They were just blah tasting with little flavor. They cooked up to look like typical waffles and had a nice crunch to them but they were just tasteless. It seemed almost like they needed more salt or something. I will probably try something else with the baking mix like pizza that is not so dependent on the taste of the crust. I also want to try cookies and brownies since they have more ingredients to add some flavor to this dull taking baking mix.

I ate about 1/2 of one waffle (two squares) and that was enough.

Information on the package and website for use (2stars)

The package states that you can go to the Atkins website to get extra recipes. I did look and found it difficult to find them but eventually found about 10 recipes for bread, muffins, pizza, cookies, brownies etc. I found them under breads and baked goods on this page http://www.atkins.com/browse-recipes-by-all.aspx

I frankly think that with so few recipes they could have printed more on the package or added a pamplet attached to the bag. At the very least a little more information on how to use it. It would seem to make sense to me that they could sell more of this if people knew how to use it. The only recipe on the package was for pancakes and waffles.

I am not sure but if you are adventurous I would imagine you could substitute this for the flour in many recipes.

How to Contact Atkins

Website: www.atkins.com
Phone: 1-800-6ATKINS

Thanks for reading my review

If you have any comments or questions about my experience with the Atkins Baking Mix or any other low carb related comments or questions, please feel free to leave them in the comments section

:-)

Becky

Atkins Nutritionals Inc. - Cuisine Penne Pasta - 12 oz.

Atkins Nutritionals Inc. - Cuisine Penne Pasta - 12 oz.

Atkins Nutritionals Inc. - Atkins Cuisine Penne Pasta - 12 oz. (340 g) Atkins Nutritionals Cuisine Penne Pasta is a powerful life-time approach to suc...
LuckyVitamin.com

Atkins, Cuisine Penne Pasta 12 oz

Atkins, Cuisine Penne Pasta 12 oz

Atkins Cuisine Penne Pasta Description: Great for a Low Carb Diet 11g Protein 1g Sugar 18g Fiber 140 Calories 19g Net Carbs Atkins is a powerful life-...
Atkins Day Break Bars, Atkins Nutritionals, 5 Piece Peanut Butter Fudge Crisp

Atkins Day Break Bars, Atkins Nutritionals, 5 Piece Peanut Butter Fudge Crisp

Atkins Day Break Bars from Atkins Nutritionals Start your day off right with the delicious taste of Atkins Day Break bars. Made with an optimal blend ...

Atkins Italian Style Pasta Bake 9oz

Atkins Italian Style Pasta Bake 9oz

Find pasta, noodles and dumplings at Target.com! Atkins italian style pasta bake 9oz

Bisquick Original All Purpose Baking Mix 80 Ounce Pancake Mix

Bisquick Original All Purpose Baking Mix 80 Ounce Pancake Mix

NEW Bisquick Original All Purpose Baking Mix 80 Ounce Pancake Mix $22.58 $29.95 Bisquick Original All Purpose Baking Mix 80 Ounce Pancake Mix is great...

Atkins Beef Merlot 9oz