Aunt Jemima Corn Bread Mix

Aunt Jemima® Corn Bread Mix

Jun 13, 2008 (Updated Jun 13, 2008)

Pros:no mess baking

Cons:none noted

The Bottom Line: As with most ready to use mixes of this type; the dryAunt Jemima Corn Bread Mix is packaged in a sealed plastic sack for freshness.

I like most Aunt Jemima Corn Bread Mix products, and when the smaller size Jiffy is not QUITE enough and 2 packages is too much; then I turn to Aunt Jemima Corn Bread Mix in the in between. 10 ounce size box. I like to make enough corn bread so that we will have some left over. I do like corn bread cold for snacking.

The meal used by Quaker for producing Aunt Jemima Corn Bread Mix is a smidgen coarse, more so than is found in some of the corn meal products available. I like it better than the finely milled meal.

The shipping directions indicate the package to be 16 ounce size, however, the picture on both Epinions and Amazon is the 10 ounce easy mix baking pan included size. Aunt Jemima Corn Bread Mix is a 10 ounce oz package of dry corn meal mix to which the user adds milk, oil and one egg. I use canned milk and an extra egg for a richer batter. I generally do not add the oil, the batter will bake a tad drier if oil is not used. If your dietary needs as Husband’s does, prohibit oil, then the bread is still very good without the added oil.

The batter produced can be used to made a 8 X 8 inch pan of bread, I use my old standby Corning Ware square baking pan for the bread, or the mix can be used as a topping for other dishes. A version of Shepherd pie with a corn bread topping is pretty good, quick and filling after a day in the classroom.

===================================
The box says, no mess baking.

Pre heat oven to 400° F. Grease 8-inch-square baking pan

To the dry mix in the bag add
• 1 1/4 cups milk
• 1/3 cup vegetable oil
• 1 large egg, lightly beaten

Pour into enclosed pan, I use my Corning Ware pan, spray with PAM pour in batter. The little enclosed pans are good at school for art projects.

Bake about 25 minutes, until a toothpick in the center comes out clean

I have not yet tried the microwave method, but plan to before school starts again in August.

========================================

As with most ready to use mixes of this type; the dryAunt Jemima Corn Bread Mix is packaged in a sealed plastic sack for freshness. The plastic sack of mix is put into a cardboard box for placing on the grocery shelf. The bright red package is hard to miss on the grocery shelf. I buy my Aunt Jemima at Wal Mart, price varies, now and then there is a sale.

Versatile Aunt Jemima Corn Bread Mix produces appetizing corn bread for slicing and corn bread muffins as well as a delicious topping or foundation for tamale pie.

In -the old days-, BC, •before children• grew up and moved to their own homes I used cornmeal and cornmeal mixes in BIG size boxes. Sons and their hungry friends were like locust at supper time. And, we all liked cornbread, a lot. Now it is Husband and myself most times for supper, we neither want nor eat those large amounts I used to cook, ah, but I do miss those days BC.

============================================
Major INGREDIENTS: ENRICHED BLEACHED FLOUR (BLEACHED WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), ENRICHED DEGERMINATED YELLOW CORN MEAL (DEGERMINATED YELLOW CORN MEAL, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), SUGAR, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE SHORTENING (SOYBEAN OIL AND COTTONSEED OIL) WITH MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, LEAVENING (SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, SODIUM BICARBONATE), DEXTROSE, SALT.

Allergy Warning: CONTAINS WHEAT INGREDIENTS.

NOTE: What does degerminated mean? (FROM THE AUNT JEMIMA SITE)

The germ, which is in the center of the grain, has very high levels of oil. This oil is what provides the energy for the plant to grow. The germ is removed to improve shelf life and to prevent the product form becoming rancid. The germ portion is then used in the production of corn oil.

Nutrition Facts
Sugars 5g
Sodium 440mg
Protein 2g

================================================

I like knowing some of the history of products. I like history in general and especially enjoy reading about the various old names I see on the grocery shelf. I have grown up eating Quaker and Aunt Jemima. I want to know who the company is as I shop, I want to why they are what they are, and I like to buy American. I like knowing whether a company is providing jobs for U.S citizens.

The company that is today Aunt Jemima started way back in the late 1800s. The Aunt Jemima site has a wealth of information including lots of historical data and the like regarding the inception of the company and changes over the years. The internet is a wonderful resource. It helps us broaden our understanding and brings so many little known facts to the forefront.

1933
For the Chicago World’s Fair in 1933, the advertising planners decided to bring the Aunt Jemima character back to life. They hired Anna Robinson, described as a large, gregarious woman with the face of an angel. She traveled the country promoting Aunt Jemima until her death in 1951.

1986
Another campaign, “Nothing Could be Finer” promoted all of the Aunt Jemima products.

TODAY
The Aunt Jemima products continue to stand for warmth, nourishment and trust – qualities you’ll find in loving moms from diverse backgrounds who care for and want the very best for their families.

===============================
We like Cornbread as directed on the package, we also like cake style cornbread.
CAKE STYLE CORNBREAD

2 eggs,
1 t vanilla extract if desired

PREPARATION
1. In mixer bowl, combine cake mix and corn bread mix
2. Beat: low speed for 30 seconds.
3. Add milk, eggs and vanilla.
4. Mix medium speed for 4 minutes.
5. Pour into prepared pan.
6. Bake 28-32 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
7. Serve with your stew, chili, soup, friend chicken
8. VARIATION: Sensational Strawberry Corn Cake: For a delicious dessert, top a slice of cake-style corn bread with sliced, sweetened fresh strawberries. Add whipped topping and garnish with a fresh strawberry.
12 - 16 SERVINGS depending on how big you cut the pieces
=====================================

Aunt Jemima® Corn Bread Easy Mix means you can have fresh baked deliciousness of just baked corn whenever you want it. I like to use the mix, Aunt Jemima® mix is fast and easy to prepare in the evening as I get supper ready for the table.

If you mix the batter in the disposable bag and bake in the disposable tray there is not much clean up. I do mix in the pouch, but I pour into my own pan. The left overs are left in the pan and it is covered for munching later. Some day I will try the microwave method. Not today. Happy to recommend.

===========================
Reviewed by Molly’s Reviews
molly martin
===========================

Product Details and Shipping Information from Amazon
Product Features
• Delicious and convenient
• Mix up in the no-mess disposable bag, bake in the enclosed tray
• Great with chili dinner and a salad!
• 12/16 oz boxes
Product Details
• Product Dimensions: 12 pounds
• Shipping Weight: 13 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
• ASIN: B0001VS9UQ

$22.20 In Stock. Ships from and sold by Hometown Favorites. Order through Amazon

Aunt Jemima Original Pancake & Waffle Mix 32 Oz

Aunt Jemima Original Pancake & Waffle Mix 32 Oz

NEW Aunt Jemima Original Pancake & Waffle Mix 32 oz Aunt Jemima Original Pancake & Waffle Mix 32 oz

Aunt Jemima Lite Syrup, 24 oz

Aunt Jemima Lite Syrup, 24 oz

If you enjoy the taste of syrup but not all of the sugar, Aunt Jemima Lite Syrup is the choice for you. This 24-oz bottle of Aunt Jemima Syrup contain...

Aunt Jemima Applique Quilt Top Block Kit 12 Sets Red

Aunt Jemima Applique Quilt Top Block Kit 12 Sets Red

THIS IS AN ORIGINAL DESIGN BY DARLENE ......EACH AUNT JEMIMA HAS A DIFFERENT RED PATTERN DRESS...ALL COTTON PIECES...THE WIDTH OF THE SASHING AND THE ...

401488 AUNT JEMIMA MIX CORNMEAL WHITE - Pack of 8 - 5 LB

401488 AUNT JEMIMA MIX CORNMEAL WHITE - Pack of 8 - 5 LB

KeHe Distributors 401488 AUNT JEMIMA MIX CORNMEAL WHITE - Pack of 8 - 5 LB
Aunt Jemima Original Syrup, 1.1 oz, 100 ct

Aunt Jemima Original Syrup, 1.1 oz, 100 ct

Aunt Jemima Original SyrupRich and thick syrupGoes great on pancakes and waffles
Soap.com

Aunt Jemima Whole Wheat Blend Pancake & Waffle Mix, 35 oz, (Pack of 12)

Aunt Jemima Whole Wheat Blend Pancake & Waffle Mix, 35 oz, (Pack of 12)

Aunt Jemima Pancake and Waffle Mix is a good source of dietary fiber. Fiber is an important part of a healthy diet. Aunt Jemima Whole Wheat Pancake Mi...

Aunt Jemima Butter Rich Syrup 24 Oz

Aunt Jemima Butter Rich Syrup 24 Oz

AUNT JEMIMA BUTTER RICH SYRUP 24 OZ PACKAGING MAY BE DIFFERENT ALL PRODUCTS ARE FACTORY SEALED

Aunt Jemima Buttermilk Complete Pancake & Waffle Mix 6oz Bag

Aunt Jemima Buttermilk Complete Pancake & Waffle Mix 6oz Bag

AUNT JEMIMA COMPLETE BUTTERMILK PANCAKE MIX 6 OZ BAG EXPIRATION DATE ALWAYS FRESH