BHN-444

Tomato with Nice Flavor -- but the BHN-444 is not perfect

Aug 12, 2010 (Updated Aug 16, 2010)

Pros:firm, meaty, good taste, resistant to Spotted Wilt Virus

Cons:some problems

The Bottom Line: This BHN-444 (F1) tomato variety has its good and bad points.  I'm rating it average because while it's not the perfect tomato for me ... it might be for you.

Tomato plants grow in my vegetable garden each year, and I enjoy trying new varieties.  This year the BHN-444 (F1) Tomato made its debut in my garden.  I was looking for disease resistant tomatoes, and this one seemed a fit.

Description

The BHN-444 is advertised as producing a quality tomato with healthy yields.  It is also Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus (TSWV) resistant.  The fruit is described as large and globe-shaped.  This particular tomato matures in 76 days.

My Experiences

I always start my tomato seeds indoors.  I punch holes in the bottom of plastic yogurt cups, filled them with soil, and plant two to three seeds in each cup (depending upon how brave I'm feeling).  I keep the plants upstairs until they germinate, then I move the trays downstairs under fluorescent lights.  If more than one seed sprouts per pot, I transplant the extra seedling so that only one plant grows per container.  Tomato plants love water, so I make sure to keep the plants watered.

Once the weather and soil warms outside, I transplant the tomatoes into the fertilized ground.  Tomatoes are forgiving when being transplanted.  And if one of the tomato stalks bends during handling, just dig a deeper hole and plant the tomato so that the bent stalk is covered by earth.  To protect the plants from cut worms, I place a plastic collar around the stem. (I use large plastic drinking cups cut in half.  Insert the cup into the soil so that it surrounds the stalk of the plant.)

I place metal tomato cages over each plant so that they are contained as they grow.  As the plants increase in size, I make sure the branches remain tucked inside so that the entire plant is supported by the cage.  I tried growing some of these BHN-444 tomatoes upside-down, but they didn't do well.  For me, they prefer growing upright.

While these tomatoes did not contract the Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus, they did have issues.  The bottom leaves turned yellow with some spotting.  I was able to contain the problem by removing the affected leaves from the plant and discarding them.  The fruit was not affected and looks good.  I would not call these plants heavy yielding, though.  They are moderately productive.

These tomatoes are uniform in size.  I found them to be on the small side, but part of that might be due to the dry weather pattern we've had.  I have watered the garden practically every day, but the plants remained smaller than other tomato plant varieties I am growing ... and the fruit was smaller, too.  Some of the tomatoes are perfectly globe-shaped, while other BHN-444 tomatoes have a pointed tip at the bottom.  One great feature is that the tomatoes have not split.

The tomatoes are firm and have smooth skin.  They are not a dark, dark red but have a pleasing appearance.  The tomato connoisseur in our family enjoys the taste of these BHN-444 tomatoes.  The tomatoes are meaty, and the seeds are smaller than other varieties we have grown.

Purchasing

I bought a packet of 20 seeds for $2.95 from Johnny's Selected SeedsTotally Tomatoes also sells a 20-seed packet for $2.95.

Summary

Overall, these BHN-444 Tomatoes have a nice flavor and are meaty.  However, they are smaller than I expected and not as problem resistant as I had hoped.  True, they did not contract Tomato Spot Wilt Virus, but there were other issues.  While this is an okay tomato, we don't consider it a favorite.  I doubt I'll grow it next year.

I hope you found this review useful.

Enjoy the day,
Dawn

Please read my other reviews:

Tomato Cage - 4 Ring, 4 Leg

Upside-Down Tomato Garden

Deluxe Pyramid Composter

Perma-Nest Plant Trays

Tomato Seed:  Early Goliath, Matina Tomato, Mortgage Lifter

Bean Seed:  Purple Beans, Soleil Yellow Beans, Maxibel Gourmet Bean

Squash Seed: Black Zucchini, Gadzukes Zucchini, Zucchini Italiano Largo, Zephyr Squash

Radish: Cherriette, French Breakfast

Cucumber Seed:  Marketmore, Spacemaster, Sweeter Yet

Seeds: Ace Red & Green Peppers, Organic Lettuce Salad Bowl, Small Sugar Pumpkin

Other Plants:  Canada Red Rhubarb, Egyptian Walking Onions, Jerusalem Artichokes