BIC Products Cristal Classic Ballpoint Pen, Medium Point, Black 10 Ea / Pack, 12 Packs

Super Cristals

Apr 10, 2008 (Updated May 8, 2008)

Pros:Smooth writing, great Bic ink flow, long-lasting, clean styling, solid cap, sturdy, lightweight

Cons:Retractable Cristals aren't sold in North America

The Bottom Line: Quality, style and consistency at a great price. A true classic.

Ah, the black Bic Cristal ballpoint stick pen with the standard 1.0mm medium tip. These pens write extremely well for the price. (a pack of 10 came out to $1.43 with tax) They also write extremely well compared to other 1.0 medium ballpoints. It's clearly the best value in ballpoint pens, next to the Bic Round Stic that I used in high school.

The black ink has that classic Bic dark-purple tint that gives my crappy handwriting a smooth, regal look. I've always been impressed by the ink flow; even my year-old Cristals write well. Getting the ink to flow on a fresh, new Cristal takes very little effort.

Hmm, I just printed "The" to test the flow of ink. The horizontal stroke in "T" was only slightly lighter in shade. By the time I started the vertical stroke, the ink flow was full and rich. It's a new Cristal, with only a couple page's of writing use. My year-old Cristal took a little longer to flow well. By longer I mean, the end of the vertical stroke. Yes, these pens really do write that well; even with light pressure. Writing in cursive, the ink flow is almost perfect. The last pack of Cristals I bought had two duds that wrote a little lighter than the rest, but still consistent.

That said, a ballpoint pen will only write as well as the paper quality allows, and desk pad or other writing surface. Ballpoints seem to have trouble changing direction. For example, consecutive "L's" and "O's" can cause tiny skips at the top of the loop. Cristals aren't immune to this, but when it does occur, they do a great job of restoring ink flow quickly to finish the pen stroke.

The Bic Cristal's ability to glide across paper is another reason I keep coming back to this product line. The Bic Atlantis and Velocity 1.0 medium retractables with their rounded ballpoint tips write a little smoother. (the Bic 1.2 medium Easy Glide ink system would be the smoothest pens I've ever used) These Cristals and Bic SoftFeel retractables are made in Mexico; Mexican-made Bics use a slightly-darker ink than the Velocity and Atlantis, which are manufactured in France.

Just an observation. The plastic "cartridge" that holds the brass point used to be painted with a metallic-bronze finish. It seems as if Bic's changed to a lighter, flat tan color with the last pack I purchased. Still looks nice.

Anyway, I can always depend on Cristals to perform well and last a really long time. I love these pens.

(oooooo)
(oooooo)

PAF Joe

( 2 ) Bic Cristal Medium Ballpoint Pens - Red - 10 Packs = 20 Pens - Free Ship

( 2 ) Bic Cristal Medium Ballpoint Pens - Red - 10 Packs = 20 Pens - Free Ship

( 2 ) BIC CRISTAL BALLPOINT PENS in MEDIUM RED POINT 1.2MM – 10-COUNT PACKAGES = 20 PENS DESCRIPTION You are bidding on TWO ( 2 ) 10-count packages ...

BIC Cristal Ballpoint Pen - Medium Pen Point Type - Point Pen Point Style - Black Ink - Clear Barrel - 10 / Pack

Cristal Ballpoint Pens feature a clear barrel so you can see the available ink supply and a roll-proof, hexagon-shaped barrel for comfortable controll...
BIC(R) Cristal(R) Ballpoint Pens, 1.0 mm, Medium Point, Clear Barrel, Red Ink, Pack Of 12

Transparent barrel gives a clear view of ink levels Crystal-clear barrel reveals ink supply. Clear hexagon-shaped barrel lets you know exactly how muc...

BIC Cristal Ballpoint Stick Pen, Black Ink, Bold, Dozen

BIC Cristal Ballpoint Stick Pen, Black Ink, Bold, Dozen

Bold ballpoint pen delivers extra smooth writing with larger, thicker lines. Visible ink supply alerts user of low ink levels.

BIC Cristal Ballpoint Pen - Medium Pen Point Type - Point Pen Point Style - Blue, Black, Red Ink - Clear Barrel - 10 / Pack

Bic Ms11rd Cristal Stic Ballpoint Pen, Medium Point, 12/pk, Red Ink/clear Barrel

Bic MS11RD Cristal Stic Ballpoint Pen, Medium Point, 12/pk, Red Ink/Clear Barrel BICMS11RD Cristal Ballpoint Pens feature a clear barrel so you can se...

BIC(R) Cristal(R) Ballpoint Pens, 1.0 mm, Medium Point, Clear Barrel, Blue Ink, Pack Of 12

BIC Cristal Ballpoint Stick Pen, Blue Ink, Bold, Dozen

BIC Cristal Ballpoint Stick Pen, Blue Ink, Bold, Dozen

Bic Cristal 2-in-1 Stylus Ballpoint Pen, Black Ink, 1.0 Mm Medium - Bicmssp21bk

Bic Cristal 2-in-1 Stylus Ballpoint Pen, Black Ink, 1.0 Mm Medium - Bicmssp21bk

About Us Shipping Returns Contact Us FAQ Click to view full size Full Size Image Click to close full size. BIC Cristal 2-in-1 Stylus Ballpoint Pen, Bl...

BIC(R) Cristal(R) Bold Ballpoint Pens, Extra Bold Point, 1.6mm, Translucent Smoked Barrel, Black Ink, Pack Of 24