Broan-NuTone Intermediate NS6530 30" Kitchen Hood Reviews

Broan-NuTone Intermediate NS6530 30" Kitchen Hood

1 consumer review

Non-Ducted?? This Is The Hood For You!

Sep 10, 2011 (Updated Sep 11, 2011)

Pros:Great lighting; good fan speed, quiet on low

Cons:Cost of additional filter; slightly loud on high

The Bottom Line: NuTone offers 2 fan speeds, 2 light options and sleek style, combining form and function in a great little hood.

We bought the NuTone range hood to replace our 20 year old model when we had the kitchen updated.  After researching on the inter-net, I was a bit confused and depressed, because all the reviews stated, in essence, that if you don't have an outside vented range hood, you might as well not bother. Well, some of us don't have the choice to vent to the outside, so we do the best we can with what we do have.
We had carefully researched  and replaced all our other kitchen appliances, and now I felt I was being jilted and stuck with a totally inferior option.  We looked at several models that would fit our small space and made our choice from there.  Luckily, a couple of the stores had working models so that we could actually see the product.  This allowed us to hear the level of noise with the blower on high and on low speeds, and to see the level of light.
We purchased the black unit which looks very sleek.  The exterior is very easy to clean.  It is not bulky in appearance.

FAN FEATURE:  The noise level on high is a bit loud, but not alarming, and not as loud as my old unit.  It runs fairly quiet and smooth on the low speed.  It does an adequate job of filtering the occasional bit of smoke, though I must say we don't burn our food that often to need it a lot.  We did have to purchase a charcoal filter (additional cost!) since we were using it non-ducted.  So that is an additional expense, as they are not cleanable either.  A coupon would have been nice for the first filter.

LIGHT FEATURE:  Now, the feature that we do use most often is the light.  This is the feature that I liked the most over many other models, because this unit has TWO lights, one on either side of the centered filter.
The lights (and the fan) operate on rocker switches with two speeds, high and low.  The high level is great for cooking, illuminating the entire cook top, and often provides enough light that we don't need to use the main overhead light.  The low level is perfect in the evening, kinda like a big nightlight.  Another feature about the lights is that each bulb has a frosted plastic cover.  No unsightly bare bulbs to glare in your eyes, which is common if you are not real tall.  I think most manufacturers assume everyone is taller and therefore do not see what is under the hood, but they really need to look at the product from every persons perspective.

INSTALLATION:  We had planned on installing this unit ourselves, but since the electrician was already installing under-cabinet lighting, we added this to his list of chores.  We are so glad we did!  Even though the install was quick, the unit did not work.  He discovered the unit was wired incorrectly at the factory.  He was able to correct the problem in a jiffy.  Had we attempted the job, there would have been a lot of frustration and yelling, and more trips back to the store with our "inferior" product.  We just got that odd mistake from the factory.

This product was not the cheapest, nor was it the most expensive.  I believe we have made a good decision and we have been very happy with it.
All in all, we are very happy with our NuTone range hood and would not hesitate to purchase this item again.

NuTone NS6500 Series 30 in. Convertible Range Hood in Bisque Model # NS6530BC Item Description Item Brand New This NuTone 30 in. Convertible Range Hoo...