Bar Keepers Friend Cleaner Cleanser and Polish

Bar Keepers Friend Cleaner

Jan 6, 2008 (Updated Jan 6, 2008)

Pros:Mild abrasives clean well. Contains no bleach.

Cons:Incompatibilities with other ingredients. Cost.

The Bottom Line: Bar Keepers Friend is a good abrasive cleanser, and it has a lot of uses.

For years I have used Bon Ami to clean my bathtub and kitchen sink. When I ran out last week, I could not find it anywhere, and both of my grocery stores said they weren't getting in a shipment for a few weeks.

I looked at the other products on my store shelves, and all of the abrasive cleaners such as Ajax and Comet contained bleach. I prefer not to use bleach if another product will do the job, and Bon Ami does. I was about to give up and come home empty handed when I noticed a product called Bar Keepers Friend. It didn't contain bleach, rather it's main ingredient is oxalic acid. I actually remembered my husband having this in the house when we were first married, years ago.

Description

The container is shaped like a can of Ajax, it comes in a 12 ounce cylinder shaped cardboard container, with 7 shaker holes in the top. The label is a shiny gold color, with the name written in white letters on a blue logo.

The top holes are covered with a peel off cover, which does not re-stick when you are ready to put the cleaner away. This is a design flaw that I find with all of these types of products. I wish they would design a top that could be covered or closed to prevent spilling.

The label boasts that Bar Keepers Friend has been around since 1882, and it is marketed as a cleaner and polisher.

Uses

* Rust removal
* Car bumpers and chrome
* Tire whitewalls

Thoughts

Bar Keepers Friend is easy to use. It works best when you sprinkle it onto a wet cloth or wet the surface to be cleaned. It can be shaken directly onto metal, porcelain or plastic.

If you have a stubborn stain, the directions suggest making a paste out of Bar Keepers Friend and water, and allowing the paste to sit on the surface of the stain for no longer than one minute, and then you need to rinse it immediately.

Bar Keepers Friend comes out in a powder form, and is mildly abrasive, yet it didn't scratch any of the surfaces I cleaned. It has a mild scent, that is neither offensive or pleasant.

The first job I tackled was my granite-like composite sink. It had really been neglected after I ran out of my Bon Ami. I sprinkled the Bar Keepers Friend liberally onto a wet sink, then scrubbed it with a cotton cleaning cloth. It only took a few minutes and the sink was spotless. Next I cleaned out the stainless steel strainers, and again the Bar Keepers Friend did a great job polishing them up to a great shine, with absolutely no scratching on the shiny metal.

Next I wanted to see how this product would clean up my glass stove top. My rag was already wet, and I applied Bar Keepers Friend to it and lightly rubbed the surface. The darkened areas around the sealed burners came clean, with little effort. It rinsed nicely, leaving no grit behind.

Last, I cleaned my bathroom sink and countertop. The sink is made of porcelain, and the countertop is laminate. Both my husband and I use hairspray on a daily basis, and the countertop gets very gunked up with residue that doesn't come off easily. The Bar Keepers Friend cut through the build up and cleaned my countertop, as well as my sink.

The powder is just abrasive enough that it cuts through grime and hard water spots, meaning less effort on my part.

I really wanted to verify it's claim that it will remove rust, but unfortunately I didn't have any rusty objects to clean. When I did some research on the main ingredient, oxalic acid, I learned that this is used for rustproofing. Oxalic acid is found naturally in certain plants, such as the leaves of rhubarb.

I wasn't exactly elated about the high price of my 12 ounce container of Bar Keepers Friend, it was nearly three times the cost of Bon Ami! I paid $3.49 for the can, and my Bon Ami usually runs around $1.19. Comet and Ajax were also about a buck cheaper than the Bar Keepers Friend.

Was I impressed enough with this product to switch from my beloved Bon Ami? No. I still prefer the ingredients in Bon Ami (calcium carbonate and sodium carbonate). When using either one, you should use gloves on your hands because they can both dry out your skin quite easily.

Bar Keepers Friend is incompatible with chlorine bleach and detergents, so keep that in mind when using this cleaner. Bon Ami has no known incompatibilities.

Although I will still purchase my Bon Ami when I can, I think that Bar Keepers Friend makes a good second choice. I certainly prefer it over Ajax and Comet powdered cleansers, and it is a good all-around cleanser that can be used on a wide variety of surfaces.

Bar Keepers Friend should be kept out of the reach of children.

Bar Keepers Friend® Cleanser & Polish:12oz W/ Drill Brush Bathroom Scrub Brush

Bar Keepers Friend® Cleanser & Polish:12oz W/ Drill Brush Bathroom Scrub Brush

Bar Keepers Friend Cleanser cleans and polishes fiberglass, porcelain, chrome, copper, and brass.Great for tile cleaning and grout lines. Works great ...

Combo Pack Bar Keepers Friend 21 Oz Powder & 26 Oz Soft Cleanser

Combo Pack Bar Keepers Friend 21 Oz Powder & 26 Oz Soft Cleanser

Your browser does not support JavaScript. To view this page, enable JavaScript if it is disabled or upgrade your browser. Click Here. Double your traf...

Premium Bar Keeper's Friend Cleanser & Polish Non Bleach Formula 12 Ounce

Premium Bar Keeper's Friend Cleanser & Polish Non Bleach Formula 12 Ounce

Template By Froo! NEW Premium Bar Keeper's Friend Cleanser Polish Non Bleach Formula 12 ounce Please choose your quantity using the pull-down menu abo...

Bar Keepers Friend 11514 21-Ounce Cookware Cleaner

Bar Keepers Friend 11514 21-Ounce Cookware Cleaner

Great for Cleaning & Polishing Stainless Steel CookwareUnique & Powerful formula gently removes stains without dulling your shiny finishContains Oxali...
FridgeFilters.com
Bar Keepers Friend 26-fl oz Citrus All-Purpose Cleaner 11626

Bar Keepers Friend 26-fl oz Citrus All-Purpose Cleaner 11626

The power of the Bar Keepers Friend powder with the convenience of a spray. A superior cleanser that leaves a fresh citrus scent.
Lowe's

Bar Keepers Friend 21-oz All-Purpose Cleaner 11514

Bar Keepers Friend 21-oz All-Purpose Cleaner 11514

Multi-purpose cleanser and polish. Removes rust. Contains no bleach.
Lowe's

Bar Keepers Friend 13 oz. All Purpose Soft Cleanser

Bar Keepers Friend 13 oz. All Purpose Soft Cleanser

Bar Keepers Friend all purpose soft cleanser is ideal for tackling tough rust, lime deposits, and other stains in your bathroom, kitchen, and more! Th...
The WEBstaurant Store
Servaas 11512 Bar Keeper's Friend Multi-Surface Scrubbing Cleanser & Polish

Servaas 11512 Bar Keeper's Friend Multi-Surface Scrubbing Cleanser & Polish

This powdered cleanser cleans cookware, counters, fixtures, golf clubs, bicycles, automotive wheels, drum cymbals and more. Use this cleanser to keep ...
homelectrical
Bar Keepers Friend Liquid Cleanser

Bar Keepers Friend Liquid Cleanser

You can trust Bar Keepers Friend, the only liquid cleanser with lime removers, to clean even the most stubborn rust and mineral stains down to the shi...
Sur La Table